Ever hear of an apartment NOT allowing bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluesmaven

Reaction score
The lady who was taking 3 of the bunnies now has found out she can't have them in the apartment. They didn't tell her that before she signed the lease.

LOTS of housing doesn't allow pets. I can honestly see rabbits being in the top lol. They chew on everything and not all are house broke lol

Perhaps the person can work out a trial situation at first. Perhaps the apartment people could be convinced to check on the buns in a set amount of time to assure themselves that no damage is being done? If it is a complex or large building that might be hard to arrange such flexibility. It is normally much easier to arrange with individual relationships. Best of luck.

That's funny, I have had more damage to my house from my aquarium than from my rabbits. I can't seem to change the water without spilling it.

It's sad that more places don't allow animals. I do believe they should be strict about it, though. Animals can cause a lot of damage and rabbits seem to enjoy destroying things.

My apartment doesn't allow any animals, but I have Jack and Lily anyway. I discussed the ramifications of our apartment manager finding out with my roommates, and have a pet sitter that can take them with 2-3 hours notice for 24 or 48 hours. They love going to the pet sitters.

I wouldn't suggest her doing that, because it is very stressful on both the rabbits and I. Hopefully her managers can be persuaded. I have to keep a close eye on Jack and Lily to be sure they don't damage the apartment. They did just dig up a small corner of the carpet, but it's not noticeable and even if they do, it can easily be explained as damage from furniture.

-sigh-

The apartment I moved in aloud to have pets and we told em we got a rabbit and we had them sign off on it saying it was ok to have her. It was only a few months later until they changed managers or something because they wanted my rabbit gone for reasons such as "Neighbors are complaining about the noise." or "Neighbors are complaining about the smell." We did have her hutch outside but we didn't leave her. it was just there because we couldn't put it into storage.

Anyways they truely had it out for my rabbit and if I hadn't gotten a house I would have made a few lovely comments about the dog across from us. Open any door and it was WOOF WOOOOOF WWWWOOOOOFFFFF BARK for 10 minuets straight I don't believe in shock collars but do something to get that mutt to shut up. Not to mention are apartment was in the corner so it was the doggy bathroom and half the people didn't pick up after there dogs. To think they were upset over a little rabbit that didn't do any damage except for a little rug chewing.

Hope she can keep her rabbits.

Well she can't have one so she easily focused on a cat. Which makes me think she wasn't the best candidate. It's not about cats, I have cats, it's how she switched so easily.

MY apartment building says no Pets. Well that was too bad I had 2 friends help me sneak them in the day I moved in.

I finally told my Superintendent a few weeks later, also explaining to them that they are NEVER out of their cages unless I'm home. I also put a plastic shower curtain over their carpet and the put very big rugs over that. So even if they had a pee accident it would not ruin their carpet. I have a carpet cleaner too so I can clean up any mess.

If anything was ever said, believe me I would make a BIG FUSS about all the dogs in the building. Honestly I've never seen so many dogs.

Susan:)

We lived in a duplex that allowed animals but we had to tack on another $200 per pet at the beginning of our lease. We were all ready paying $800.00 a month. Anyway, he had stained cement floors so the floors were never an issue.;)

can't imagine having to live without my animals counting the babies I have 14 animals in the house and 2 ducks outside. LOL But once the babies are adopted out it'll just be 3 buns 3 dogs and 2 cats in the house.

SOOOSKA wrote:
MY apartment building says no Pets. Well that was too bad I had 2 friends help me sneak them in the day I moved in.

I finally told my Superintendent a few weeks later, also explaining to them that they are NEVER out of their cages unless I'm home. I also put a plastic shower curtain over their carpet and the put very big rugs over that. So even if they had a pee accident it would not ruin their carpet. I have a carpet cleaner too so I can clean up any mess.

If anything was ever said, believe me I would make a BIG FUSS about all the dogs in the building. Honestly I've never seen so many dogs.

Susan:)

I don't think I would ever have the guts to straight up tell my apartment manager :shock: It's not like a land lord deal, it's more like a company. They would kick me out in a heart beat, fine me and ruin my rental history until it was a smoldering mass of FAIL.

Yooooou are lucky.

My apartment isn't supposed to have pet. But every single person here does. Cats in the windows. Dogs barking. So my fiance and I just brought our rabbit in. He's only had one pee accident here and that's all cleaned up.

When we leave I know the landlord is replacing our carpet and appliances (since everything here is outdated and old). I doubt she'd give me hell about it. If she wanted to be paid more, fine. I'm here two more months anyhow. And then my fiance and moving back to our home town.

There are "pet rider clauses" you can add on to your lease agreement. Most of them basically state that any damage you'll take financial responsibility for and you usually pay an extra pet deposit on your damage deposit. I'd try that before sneaking an animal into an apartment building or other rental.

JMVHO

Rue

Back