Ever hear of an apartment NOT allowing bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some rules in rental houses or apartments about pets are made due to the legal classification of the particular kind of animal. Dogs and cats, for instance, are domestic animals and are generally subject to less stringent liability laws than wild animals. In your state, are rabbits classified as wild or domestic? It does not matter how tame they are, it is the legal classification, in your state, that is crucial.

This is because whether you are the renter or the landlord, there are strict liabilities associated with keeping a wild animal that most landlords do not want to risk because the financial consequences to them can be devastating, and if they knew the renter kept a wild animal there is not a lot they can offer in the way of a defense.

No one really asked so we never told. I think another tenent saw me putting the cage in the car once for an overnight stay at my inlaws since were going to be away but no one ever complained.

I think a lot of people just don't know about rabbits and that they can be litter trained. I looked at apartments that allowed cats and dogs but not rabbits. I explained that they are actually less stinky than cats, are litter trained, don't make noise like dogs, and are not destructive (although of course they are destructive, but not if well bunny-proofed). She was amazed by that info, and I added in that spayed/neutered rabbits are completely oderless. She said that she would talk to management to try to change their policies and I gave her a couple web addresses to look up info on rabbits.

Our last apartment had a no pets policy, but being that everyone else owned pets (you can always see a cat chillin' in the windows) my fiance and I just didn't care. We were the only tenants that paid our rent on time and never caused trouble. We'd also been there the longest. We moved out about 3 weeks ago, and the landlady never mentioned any damage and gave us our full deposit back.

We own our current place. But when we leave here for my grad school we might have trouble. I made a point to make a binder of images of the apartment before we moved in, and after with the rabbit, as well as information on litter training, and a list of our little guy's habits. I think many landlord's aren't educated about what is possible with rabbits.

Latest posts

Back