Emmy's ear...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmy-webby

Reaction score
I just noticed this right now on Emmy's ears. :shock:
Could it possibly be ear mites? I checked both
ears but no signs!!

pic here:

I cant really determine what side of the ear thatis, and it's not so clear.If it's the back of the ear, and your pullingit a bit, or the ears are just up, it's fine.You cannot expect the furto stay perfectly alligned.Try petting the fur so that it goes down, ifit's still there, there may be.Check in a few more days, if the gumsare whiter and more fur is gone, but some Linseed Oil( I think) in theear(1 drop) with an eye dropper.

Were not pulling on the ear..her ears are jsut uplike that. When we pat the fur up..yu culd kinda recongnize it..put ifwe pet it down then yu culd relle see it!

You can rub a small amount of human fungal foot powder on the ear.

The fur loss can be due to any number of issues including furmites. Holding the ears over the back can hold moisture andheat on the ear which can occasionally lead to fungal or bacterialinfection as well as urine rubbed on the ear on continual cleaning ofthe ear. Some rabbits may simply have averysparsely furred ear. (A well furred ear is desired in many breeds).

Pam

Could it be ringworm? Here is a chart of various rabbit diseases:

(source): http://www.pet-care-plus.com/exotic-pet-care/rabbit-care/rabbit-disease.htm

[align=center]Rabbit disease or disorder [/align]

[align=center]Clinical signs [/align]

[align=center]Treatment/Comments [/align]

Bacterial rhinitis/pneumonia
Sneezing; nasal and eye discharge; breathing difficulties; head shaking
Common in stressed rabbits; treat with antibiotics

Malocclusion of teeth
Excessive salivation; inability to eat; weight loss; lip lacerations
Trim incisor teeth every 2 weeks

Hairballs
Loss of appetite; abdominal pain
Treat using laxatives; surgical removal sometimes needed; prevent with brushing, hairball laxative weekly

Mucoid-enteropathy
Abdominal pain and distension; diarrhea; arched back; dehydration
Treath this rabbit disease with antibiotics to prevent secondary infection; replace fluids; high-fiber diet might help

Coccidiosis
Abdominal pain and distension; loss of appetite; diarrhea; jaundic; weight loss
Rabbit disease is associated with poor sanitary conditions; treat with sulfa drugs

Bacterial enteritis
Diarrhea; weight loss; jaundice
Treat this rabbit disease using a select group of antimicrobial agents

Bacterial dermatitis "sore hocks"
Moist, ulcerated skin and lesions on hind feet
Caused by trauma from wire floors; treat with antibiiotics; change environmental conditions

Ringworm
Hair loss; cursts on head, ears
Treat with antifungal medications

Ear mites
Head shaking; scratching at ears; crusts and scabs in ears; hair loss on head and neck
This rabbit disease should be treated with antifungal medications

Mange
Intense itching; hair loss on face, ears, genitalia
Very contagious to other rabbits; treat with safe insecticidal shampoo; ivermectin for tough cases

Pox viruses
Warlike growths on face, legs, and feet; swollen eyelids; eye discharge; subcutaneous lumps
Transmitted by biting insects; no treatment; wartlike growths usually regress on their own

Pregnancy toxemia
Loss of appetite; depression; seizures in pregnant or lactating does
Cause of this rabbit disease is unknown; high mortality; support with antibiotics

Uterine adenocarcinoma
Infertility; weight loss; loss of appetite; vaginal discharge
Common in older females; spay if not metastisized

Nephroma
Loss of appetite, depression; variable signs (associated with kidney disease)
Usually benign, yet affects kidney function

I don't think it's ringworm, there's barely anyhair loss.It's not to worry much about.M<Y rabbits have less harthan that on their ears, but I've checked for mites alot.I give thempersonal check-ups weekly since I can't afford a vetenarian.

I agree that it doesn't appear to be ringworm (which usually forms a circular hairless pattern).

When fungal infections, such as ringworm are suspected, care should beused in handling as the fungal infections can be transmitted to humans.

Pam

Pam,

I've been worried a bit, I examined my rabbit's eye today, and saw aTHIN blue stringy thing with red and green things somewhat glowing allover.Do you think that's a parasite, or just some weird reflection oflight towards the object.

I've seen something similar. Just keepan eye on it for changes -- could just be a reflection from the back ofthe eye.

Parasites in the eye cause damage rather quickly which results in blindness and the eye clouding over.

Pam

Latest posts

Back