Emergency

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd give her a large amount of Mylicon, presuming it's just Simethicone. Rabbits actually require more of the stuff than humans, or at least human babies. I'd give her a full ml every hour for three hours. (Its very safe, its inert, not absorbed by the tissue).

I think the mucus is the bunny body's form of intestinal protection, bunnies with distressed guts seem to get it, hopefully its signalling the end of the problem, but it can take a week or three to fully recover.

She will need to eat the pumpkin and at this stage I'd try and get my hands on some Critical Care, that will be the most nutritious and highest fiber food she can get. (Just make sure you soak it for a good 15 to 30 minutes so it doesn't suck any hydration from her intestinal tract).

sas :pray:

Is there anyplace I can buy critical care?

I got about 6 mL of the pumpkin paste with a little of pineapple juice and acidophilus down her with about 9 mL of water. I'll give the mylicon now (its just simethicone)

And thanks everyone for all the help. I really appreciate it, I just dont know what I would do if I lost this bunny :/

Most vets will sell critical care, and they should sell it too you with over the counter. You can try calling a couple of vets office to see if they carry it and what their price is. I'm not sure if any petstores sell it, but you can try calling a couple of them too.

--Dawn

Everything is closed for the evening, so I'll stick with the pumpkin tonight and get some of that tomorrow (now that I think about it I think my vet carries it). Should I soak some of her food in water and feed her that way?

I'm still concerned on how to switch her food, I know you are supposed to do it slow to reduce the likelihood of a GI upset, but since she has already gone through this would it matter if I just changed her food quicker (giving her about half of what she has been getting mixed with half of better food)?

One cc of mylocan every hour for the first three hours.

Here is the two forms of Ben Bac that I own. I get them from my local mom and pop pet shop. They sell them at petsmart to. One is in Storm everyday use pile and one is in Storm emergency kit

SDC11409.jpg

SDC11412.jpg

Here is the gas drops. The thing that comes with them is one cc if you fill it up all the way and a picture of a one cc meds dispencer also. But you have to fill the whole dropper up. Past the baby formulia line.

SDC11407.jpg

SDC11411.jpg

And then critical care. I only used this once when storm was in full blown Stasis. But its sits heavy in the gut so dont use unless last resort. I get it from my local mom and pop store but most of the time you have to get it from the vet.

SDC11410.jpg

I hope this helps this is everything I have used in Storm 4 or 5 bouts with this in the past few months and he is running around today. Hope you baby pulls out of this to.

For now just hay, pumpkin, water and Critical Care, and then you can slowly introduce a quality rabbit pellet (for growing buns).

I would think the problem was an OD of yogurt drops more so than the guinea pig food, but you don't have to go back to the previous pellet, just slowly introduce a new one.

sas :clover:

Thanks for all the help!

I really need to find some benebac and critical care just to keep on hand, but nowhere near me sells the benebac (not even petsmart) so I think I'm just going to order some online ;]

==yeah I really need an emergency kit! (and those pictures are great!) I wish I would have known about this stuff like a week ago, but I never thought I would need it (Midas has never been sick, he has like super bunny gut)

But you never know whats going to happen :]

Petunia is drinking on her own now, I can here her water bottle in the next room, so that must be a good sign!

I don't know if rabbits can use the same medicines but I have a benebac syringe that has 2 days left in it. It's only a month old or so. Its from where Rascal ate flooring. You can have it. You could give her a dose tonight and tomorrow. Up 2 you. Or you can just wait and see what you find tomorrow. :)

Pipp wrote:
Great info, MRS PBJ, thanks for that! (We'll have to get you to repost it in our What To Put In An Emergency Kit thread).

:thanks:

sas :bunnydance:
In the rabbit 101 section I just tired it said I am not aloud to post there. Or is it somewhere else if a mod has to do it they have my permission I could take a picture of just all is in his emergency kit and pm it to you if you would like

I would be very appreciative if you would let me have the left over benebac for petunia. I live very close to you :] (I used to live in New Carlisle and just recently moved to fairborn)

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
Pipp wrote:
Great info, MRS PBJ, thanks for that! (We'll have to get you to repost it in our What To Put In An Emergency Kit thread).

:thanks:

sas :bunnydance:
In the rabbit 101 section I just tired it said I am not aloud to post there. Or is it somewhere else if a mod has to do it they have my permission I could take a picture of just all is in his emergency kit and pm it to you if you would like
Pipp you have a PM

So she pooped finally, but it is still very, very soft. It is not the runny, clear mucusy stuff anymore, now its more like thick loose stools (Still has mucus in it though) with a very, very strong odor (and slight green tint). Is this better or worse?

Sorry for all of the gross details!

Thanks! Sweetsassy was kind enough to give me some benebac so I just gave her a dose of that and some more mylicon and pumpkin. Hoping she is better in the morning! She is the most adorable baby mini lop you have ever seen :) - but I could be biased

ETA: I dont think bunny people are weird, I think everyone else is :biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back