Emergency help needed ONTARIO TRANSPORT, TEMP FOSTER, ADOPTIONS, ANYTHING

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. That's what we are here for - to provide permanent sanctuary. Unless something happens or I found a good enough home. That's why we took these two families. Dozens upon dozens of rabbits are in foster homes with no permanent homes lined up for them. These guys are safe forever.

trailsend wrote:
Just a quick update from our end.

I am so glad to hear people are stepping forward to foster rabbits, but how many of you need another Flemish or NZ? Come on... ADOPT one! Foster homes are great but they need Permanent homes where they will be provided for. Dozens of rabbits currently have temporary homes but still need permanent ones - so please get in touch with Rabbit Rescue or the Barrie SPCA, if you can open your home to any one of these special rabbits.
I want to do more, but as I said we live in a basement with 4 buns now. They have the run of the entire basement, and it is finished off with several rooms, but we can not do too many more down here. I would love a Flemish though, always wanted one. But my back will not do a 6-8 hour drive and then the same back home.

But I keep an eye out around my rescues and if I can talk Krista into it we will for sure give more buns a permanent home.

Dawn

Hi everyone.

It is so great that there are so many people out there helping these bunnies.

I live in the metro detroit area. I volunteer for a local rescue. Unfortunatly we don't have space, but I have been wanting a flemish giant. If there is any chance someone could meet me in Windsor or London I would be happy to adopt. I could possibly foster one as well and put him/her on petfinder.

Please let me know if this is of any help or an option.

Hi Everyone!

The Montreal bunnies have arrived safe and sound! They are such sweethearts. They must be exhausted from the long trip, but they were definitely up for eating and drinking lots! We cleaned them up a little, and gave them a quick look over for cuts and bumps. Everyone looks pretty good except for one TINY little black female. She must be very young. I am sure she still needs her mom, but I guess they must have gotten seperated at that horrible place. The good news is we will be taking her to the vet tomorrow to make sure she gets all better. She was sneezing quite a bit on the car ride, and her nose is running - we'll fix her up though. She's a darling. Here are some pics :) They will all be going into their foster, and some permanent,homes by Tuesday!!

So I take it the emergency is no longer an emergency? I haven’t heard back from the shelter or the rabbit sanctuary. I was ready to foster dozens but now it’s a question of if or when I can give one a permanent home. I have quite a few pets already and giving birth in a few months. I’m not sure I can provide a permanent home right now…although I would love to! I’m curious, has anyone been charged yet?

No one has been charged, as far as I know it is still under investigation. As far as I know, hardly any of these rabbits have permanent homes. However we are not involved in that. I think there are still rabbits at the shelter but they may have places to go. I don't know. But few people have stepped up to adopt, I am worried about that now. But hopefully Rabbit Rescue, the other shelters & rescues that took in large numbers of rabbits will be able to find a lot of special and willing homes. But it won't be easy.

can any of the bunnies be transported to texas, arkansas, oklahoma...if so, i'll look up there websites, and let you know...i do know one in dallas, texas, is ntrs.org.....you might could also contact houserabbitsociety.org, in california...email [email protected]'s a great person that might be able to direct you to different sites that can help...i only had 1$us dollar to donate, but i know every cent counts...you and these bunnies are in my prayers...i just told the letter-carrier lady about this mess...hope the bunnies don't have to be put down...they are sweet creatures of God's, and because of all the horrifying videos, and emails about abuse and torture, and "experiments" done on animals, i have become a vegetarian, on my way to vegan...there's another website that might be able to help(?)...it's caringconsumer.com....suzy perkins in texas

Bump! Anyone up for a transport to Michigan? :weee:

sbunny wrote:
Hi everyone.

It is so great that there are so many people out there helping these bunnies.

I live in the metro detroit area. I volunteer for a local rescue. Unfortunatly we don't have space, but I have been wanting a flemish giant. If there is any chance someone could meet me in Windsor or London I would be happy to adopt. I could possibly foster one as well and put him/her on petfinder.

Please let me know if this is of any help or an option.

Okay Kristas' head just about exploded when I told her I said I said I would take a flemish, and though all her reasons make sense, I am very sad.

At this time we are not in a position to take a bunny, I hoe by summer things will be better here and we will be able o adopt two or three more, but we just cannot do it at this time.

I am very sorry and very sad..........:bigtears:

i need to sign off for today, but if you need any different places in the arkansas, kansas, oklahoma, louisiana, texas areas, that may be able to help, just let me know...again, you can contact [email protected], and she may be able to tell you some places in michigan, massachusetts, some us states closer to canada...or try to look them up on houserabbitsociety.org....I'm praying that someone in the us, can help y'all out...asap...suzy in texas:bunnydance:

Hi Everyone!

As many of you know, we have a few of theBarrie rescue buns here in Montreal. These guys really drink A LOT! Did other rescuers of these buns notice the same thing? We have babies that are drinking like crazy, along with many juveniles. I'm sure their drinking will level off, but I wanted to know if others encountered the same thing.

Thanks! Mandy

Hi Mandy, I had 21 babies and 2 momas for about 3 days, I coildn't believe how much they drank. I had 2 water bottles in each of the carriers and had to refill them numerous times of the day & night.

Susan:)

the situation of the mommies, and their babies is sooo sad...i hope more of them are allowed to survive, and go to shelters, foster homes, or forever homes, asap...once again, let me know if i can help you find shelters in texas, louisiana, oklahoma, etc...i do know of one in dallas texas:ntrs.org....if they can't be transported this far, the people at ntrs.org, might be able to give you websites closer to the usa/canada border...you volunteers, rescuers, and the bunnies are all in my prayers...God loves His creatures, and God blesses you for your attempt to help out these sweet bunnies, and all animals that need human help!

Does anybody know the exact status of the Barrie bunnies?

Do we know exactly how many rabbits are available by breed and where they are?

Is there one rescue (rabbitrescue.ca?) coordinating or is the SPCA doing that?

(I'm reproducing the Sun article, worth the copyright breach).

-----------------

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2008/03/14/5001021-sun.html

Bunnies keep SPCA hopping

Rabbits raised for food rescued from filthy farm

By TRACY MCLAUGHLIN, SPECIAL TO SUN MEDIA

BARRIE -- More than 300 rabbits being raised for meat were rescued from "deplorable conditions" in Simcoe County, the Ontario Society for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals said yesterday.

The rabbits were taken after a complaint was received, but the OSPCA won't say where they were seized because the case is still under investigation and charges have not yet been laid -- although they are expected.
SENSITIVE ISSUE
"It's still a sensitive issue because we are still reviewing the evidence," said Kristin Williams, spokesman for the OSPCA based in Newmarket.
Yesterday, the doors of the local shelter based in Barrie opened late because workers were swamped with a barrage of bunnies.

"They are keeping us busy," said Barrie SPCA branch manager Alisa Sears as she cuddled one of the baby rabbits as it nuzzled its soft pink nose into her cheek. The 6-week-old rabbit, now white and fluffy after being cleaned up and fed, will soon be ready for adoption.
Most of the rabbits were female and dozens were already pregnant even though they were nursing litters.
Dozens of the rabbits were also sent to area shelters and foster homes throughout the GTA.
"Many of them were filthy and sick and they were being bred back-to-back," said Haviva Lush, manager of Rabbit Rescue Inc. based in Milton, which assisted with some of the sick rabbits.
One of the baby rabbits, named Sprout, was operated on to remove a large abscess on its side, she said.
"Sprout stopped breathing after surgery and I gave it mouth-to-mouth and he's doing just fine now," she said. "He will be ready for adoption soon."
She warned that adopting a rabbit for a child for Easter is a bad idea.
"Rabbits make great pets but not for children. They don't like to be picked up and they need a lot of care, so we ask parents to think twice."
ADOPTION
Lush said she is launching an anti-rabbit meat product campaign to save the animals which are often raised for meat or as live bait for reptiles and raw-fed canines.
"These animals are usually raised in filth in backyard sheds and you don't know what you are eating," Lush said.
"Besides, they are social, intelligent animals. They can play games and cuddle ... they are not food."
Many of the rabbits will be available for adoption later this week.

Yes the babies drink A LOT! lol. That's normal.

Pipp - no status update on our end. I'm not sure how many buns were removed or where they all are, am waiting to find out more information.

Donna

you volunteers, foster homes, and of course , the bunnies are in my prayers...if you need volunteer sites from the us, close to the canadian border, [email protected], might be able to direct you to those sites...such a sad story, and i hope the person breeding the sweet creatures as "meat" is prosecuted to the fullest extent of your law...suzy in texas

TinysMom wrote:
Oh well - so much for my hopes and idea....I'd wanted to get 2-4 flemish giant does (preferably younger ones that might bond) and adopt them....

Art's first words were "I'm not driving to Canada to rescue bunnies...". (We're 3 miles from the Mexican border).

I said, "No. We'd drive to the airport to pick them up."

He still said, "NO".

I understand why ...... it just hurts to think of flemish giants being put to sleep....but we have enough here already and I am rehoming many of the lionheads so we can get our house back again....

Oh well....to fly them from Canada would have been around $299 - but to fly them from just inside the US border would have dropped it to $199......in case anyone from the states is thinking about it.

Peg
LOL @ Art, "I'm not driving to Canada to rescue bunnies." Spoken like a true man who is done with his wife being the bunny savior :p.

If you check the Rabbit Rescue website, I think they did have smaller rabbits that were taken in before this. I'm sure it would help a lot to adopt one of those too.

Back