Emergency help needed ONTARIO TRANSPORT, TEMP FOSTER, ADOPTIONS, ANYTHING

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailsend

Reaction score
I know this is a long short but I am desperate. We have been contacted by Rabbit Rescue tonight about nearly 400 rabbits that have been seized and are going to be euthanized tomorrowIn Barrie Ontario, Canada. We can help a few mammas and their litters - but we need help to get them here. We are about 6-7 hours one way from Barrie, and there is just no way for us to get there fast enough tomorrow. What we desperately need is someone to foster/transport for us - HALFWAY. We don't need someone to come all the way here, just halfway. We only need them fostered until the transporter could bring them.

Is there anyone in Ontario who could help us? Trouble is I have to let the shelter know in the morning. They will hold them, but only tomorrow. They apparently won't even hold them overnight for me - so I know this is a huge long shot. There just is not enough time. It's almost 1AM here, I can't reach anyone on the phone or email that might be able to help, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see if anyone could help.

Donna

Has somebody posted on Craigslist AND an agricultural classifieds site? Maybe somebody has a barn they can donate to hold them temporarily whlie it's sorted out?

Would writing letters to the shelter telling them we have large numbers of members willing to help rabbits in jeopardy and there is no reason to euthanize this quickly and to do so may well cause a public outcry?

Or something?

I think posting on ALL the Craigslists in the area in the pets, argiculture and volunteer areas would normally help, but not sure about this quickly.

I can do stuff like that from here.

I'll try and PM the post to all the Ontario members too.

Any other areas close to Barrie? NY State?

sas :pray:

I don't think so - it's such short notice. The families are big I've just been told 12-14 babies each. We can only help one, two families tops, since we don't do a lot of adoptions, we provide permanent sanctuary, that limits our spaces - and this time of year! If my barn had a roof on it, I'd be set.

Thank you thank you Sas for posting this and sending it around.

NY State is fairly close, but not really, a few hours + drive I think.

I am not fully aware of the entire situation, either is rabbit rescue... but it seems like shelter is just not going to hold off. Rabbit rescue is taking about 20 or more, andI *think* some shelters might take some, but I'm not positive.

Donna

Here's the Google map (although don't trust their routes, but it shows the area cities and towns).

PS: I have the directions reversed, they have to go from B to A.

barrietowesportmap.gif

We have a ton of members in Ontario, the total drive one way is only four hours, this should be doable, just needs time. :?

I think we can help out with a gas fund, if that makes a difference.

If they weren't moms and babies, and the transport longer than a car, I'd say stick'em on a greyhound as cargo, it's bad, but at least they'd have a shot. :(

sas :clover:

Thanks for posting the map, Pipp!

Donna, I just sent a PM to all our Ontario members so hopefully someone can help. Is there a rescue or do you know anyone near Barrie who could keep them overnight if we cant get something going soon enough? If its a mom and babies they should be fine together in one pen/enclosure if we could find someone with a barn or garage..

Soooska said her hubby Chris may be able to help, bless his heart, but cant do it today.

Thanks Haley! I am trying now to reach the woman from rabbit rescue and I can't ahold of her. I'm trying to get her to take a family to Newmarket where Susan might be able to help. It's such short notice - it's just crazy. I can't believe that the shelter will not hold them even overnight.

I know someone near Barrie but I cannot reach them, I've left several messages on their phone :(

Yes thanks for the map Sas!

Rabbit rescue wants me to take adults, which I would, trouble is they would all have to be seperate and that will make someone keeping them for a few days and transporting them more diffcult. If I had a couple days I know this would be possible, but the shelter is determined they go right now, or not at all.

Donna

Oh gosh...

I got pms from Pip and Haley about this. My problem is that I don't have any transportation at all (no license, I don't drive). About the best I can offer is this: If anyone is going to be bringing any rabbits to the Ottawa area, I could temporarily house a couple. My house is extremely crowded and small (not to mention filthy at the moment) but I have a couple of old dog cages that I could set up in my kitchen in an emergency. The bars of the cages are fairly wide so it might be difficult for me to take a mom and babies (sure would love to tho!). But if that is of any help, I'd be glad to do so.

If anyone is able to transport a bunny or two to my place, I'll take them on a temporary basis. Anything is better than being euthanized simply because there's no room. :(

I think I may be picking up 2 Momas and her babies at some point today in Newmarket (for Donna). I just spoke with the lady in Barrie and she will get back to me.

Just pray I don't get lost. LOL I am so pityful with directions and of course Chris isn't home and he took his GPS of all the nerve. LOL

Susan

I contacted the SPCA gang here to see if they can get their mates in Ontario to put pressure on Rabbit Rescue into finding a way to allow more time, and also to see where the SPCA in Ontario is at with their numbers and if they have any foster families available and/or people available to drive.

This is too sad for words. :(

Update:

My director from the SPCA called the woman at Rabbit Rescue since she knows her. She says it's not really 400, but they have many many and they have gotten enough help that they are no longer in much danger. I do advise that you all keep looking into it though. We will be offering to take a few in ourselves.

there MUST be a way, to give those bunnies MORE TIME !!!

Put pressure on the SPCA, go public, News , TV, Governor ...,...anything!!!

Haviva from RabbitRescue Canada is up there, I saw that on Bunspace [dot] com,

she asked to e-mail to: [email protected],

if anyone can help.

I am praying for MORE time for those bunnies! Please! :pray:

The SPCA did the seizure and contacted Rabbit Rescue. The seizure of rabbits was in fact a rabbit mill. :(

These bunnies could use all the loving they could get.

Luna may post here herself, but in case she doesn't, here's her note: (She was the first person I PM'd after I saw Trailsend's post, she hasn't posted in awhile, but she's an awesome RO member).

I forwarded her note and her email address to Rosiland as per the above post.

-------------

HI, thankyou for bringning this to my attention, I live in Barrie, I dont have a car but am willing to take some bunnies in to buy them some time in between travels. I do not however have any equipment at the moment: such as( cage, food, supplies) I am also seriously considering adopting one or two as well. Please let me know what I can do if anything. My e-mail address is xxxxxxxxx.

-------------

If it works out, maybe people who can't drive or adopt can helpwith supplies.

sas :clover:

Hey I'm available to help as well. I'm in Toronto - is there anything that still needs to be done? What's the status?

Back