Elliots New Home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LakeCondo wrote:
Just teach Elliot to fly & you won't need ramps or upper levels. lol
:clapping::laughsmiley: Hehehe!
Thanks everyone for the compliments and ideas.:big kiss:
How high would you make each level?

At least far enough apart he won't hit his head when he hops. Or more than that, if you think there ever is the possibility of getting him a friend that's not dwarf.

But if you study Disney's Dumbo movie with Elliot a number of times, the 2 of you may figure out how he can fly. Unfortunately, that first may involve jumping off a high platform into a little tub of water below. But every advance requires some hard work. lol

Hmm..
The Elliot Show:bunnydance:
Has a nice ring to it:biggrin:

I am leaning towards the NIC idea,or something other than plywood for two reasons. One is I do not have the skill or the tools, and would have to hire someone to do it. Two, and this is what bugs me more-is that plywood seems so permanent. If it gets soiled there is no good way to clean it. At least with the grates, I could cover them with cardboard, which could be removed and replaced with new.

You can go either way. I like the wood because it is sturdier. I don't have a lot of tools either. Basically a jig saw and drill. I had lowes cut the wood to size when I bought it and then used my drill to make holes for the zip ties. And you are right about the wood getting dirty. I cover mine with the the sticky back floor tiles.

But then again if you don't have tools NIC is the way to go.

Good luck with your project and post pictures.

You wouldn't necessarily need a ramp. If your bun is a jumper (mine is), you could put a footstool or sturdy box at the edge of the second level so he could jump onto that, and then onto the second level. Awesome set up! Wish I had a bird cage, what a great idea.

If you make the upper level open enough, you can let him use the box from below to hop on and off so that wouldn't require any ramp building. The wooden dowels under the NIC panels would make it sturdy so hopping on and off wouldn't be an issue.Just make sure the box can hold his weight. Otherwise you can perhaps replace the box with a sort of step stool type thing or wooden box, depending on what fits in there. :)

Looks great!

For some reason I was seeing Elliot's reply as the last post and didn't see that other already mentioned the same thing. Sorry! :)

All great ideas,thanks again. I like how this community comes up with so many household items to incorporate into their bunny's home.
Last night I was thinking of some ideas. I was thinking of bird platform perches. I have friends in the business of making and selling bird items, who may just be able to make me some extra large ones.
They would connect to the cage. They generally have threaded rod, then large washers and wingnuts to secure them.
Here is an example on a smaller scale~
firstt4worder005-1.jpg

firstt4worder010.jpg

At least these can be removed easy enough for cleaning.
Another idea, would be simply to put in some rubbermaid tubs or organizers.Stacking them back to back. Or even a plastic shelf system,with plastic tubs on each level to contain the mess.

Nela wrote:
For some reason I was seeing Elliot's reply as the last post and didn't see that other already mentioned the same thing. Sorry! :)
No worries! ;)
I was wondering, is there a place on this forum where there is a sticky to explain the lingo?
Like, what is "bunny500"?
And there is something else I keep seeing I don't understand, let me go find it.

When people say they are using 'coolers', what exactly is it they are using? Coolers like drink coolers?

I was also thinking he might enjoy one of these~
newmsbs22012008.jpg

It's called a betta bed, and it attaches to the cage the same way as the platform perch. Like this~
jewelsvalentinesday2012007.jpg

Keep giving him bird items, I'll get him to fly yet!!:biggrin:

If you could find big enough perches, I think those would be fine. Just plan the size for how big he's going to get, not his current size.
Also that bird tube is adorable, and where it attaches to the side you wouldn't have to worry about it rolling around with a bunny in it. x]

Thanks so much.:) Elliot is 1.5 yo, so full grown right?

Elliot wrote:
Thanks so much.:) Elliot is 1.5 yo, so full grown right?

Yes, your sweetie is full grown. He's as big as he will get.

Absolutely love what you did cratewise! Like the little stuff toy too.

K:)

Thank you Karen.:) I weighed Elliot today on my gram/oz scale,and he was 34.90 oz. or 2.18 lbs.:bunny17: I ordered something special for him today from etsy.

Latest posts

Back