Elliots New Home

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot

& Carole
Reaction score
Elliot had one of these terrible contraptions...:(
http://www.superpetusa.com/product-list/my-first-home-medium.htm
No room for everything he needed, and no room to do anything.
So today he moved into this, the bottom of a large corner parrot cage. It may be temporary until I can build a NIC cage or something, but at least he can move around.
I want to get a nice sized litter box. Tomorrow I can go and find one.
What are your favorites?
Here it is~:)

elliotsnewhome002.jpg

elliotsnewhome001.jpg

Wow..bunnies are very hard to photograph! Lots of fails...they do not stay still for the camera do they?:biggrin:
elliotsnewhome006.jpg

Thank you.:biggrin: I see most of you use regular blankets or sheets in your cages. What is the reason, and don't they get funky fast?

Any very large litter box, large enough for the rabbit to stretch out in.

Funky, not unless the rabbit hasn't learned to urinate only in the litter box. Of course they need to be washed out from time to time & rinsed thoroughly, including with diluted white vinegar.

I know have a bit cut of Lino lining Horatio's cage with a few squares of carpet under his house and in his cage to lay on. It's super easy to clean (I just sweep up an hay or poops off the lino), and it really hygienic in general. I used to line the cage with towels but it was so hard to sweep up and they had to be washed very frequently with a new little bunny living in it! :p

Great cage too!

Thanks everyone.:thumbup Is it ok to cover the cage at night?
I have a terrible problem with sleeping more than a few hours, and tend to come here to my office and read during the wee hours. This is where Elliot is, and he is running around his cage. I was wondering if this is normal energy, or am I bothering him?

It's fine to cover it but I would think it would be pointless if he is going to hear you nearby. It'll probably annoy him even more not to be able to see you. He'll probably take on your sleep pattern :)If he gets too noisy (my Wiggles would definitely have bitten and rattled the cage if I ignored her) and you don't want that, perhaps you'llwant to considerreading somewhere else. Hehehe.

This is where my computer is..lol. This is my nightly ritual.:blushan:
He did calm down. Thank you Nela.:wave:
I have been reading about nutrition, and when I go to get the litterbox, I will also be getting a couple new water bottles{so one can dry} and a different pellet. I have been reading it is best to give them only a small amount each day so you can better gauge how much/if they are eating. Do you like glass water bottles over plastic?

Lol Elliot, I am glad it worked for you and your bun then. Wouldn't have worked for mine that's for sure, but that just proves that there isn't a universal rule or method.

I haven't tried glass myself and probably wouldn't simply because I am accident-prone. Lol.

By nature, rabbits are most active at dawn & dusk, but house rabbits tend to adapt to our schedules.

Did you mean a small amount of pellets or water? I assume you mean pellets. How much you give depends on how much other thing Elliot has to eat. Increase or decrease the amount depending on how much he leaves, assuming he doesn't need to lose weight.

I use water bowls, not bottles, but if I were to use bottles, I'd use glass ones. I try to avoid plastic as much as possible; I've stopped microwaving in plastic; got some clear glass dishes, similar to what Pyrex was until 20 years ago.

Thanks for the great replies everyone.
I went to petsmart & wally world yesterday, and got Elliot a ton of new things. A litter box, some different carefresh litter,orchard hay,two water bottles{one glass and one bpa free lixit}, a soft cat bed, a bowl for veggies,some oxbow pellets, a couple cotton placemats to sit on,and a cute bunny toy. Pics later.:)

Here is the new and improved set up:)
elliotsimprovedsetup001.jpg

elliotsimprovedsetup002.jpg

elliotsimprovedsetup003.jpg

elliotsimprovedsetup004.jpg

The cat bed is inside the box. It is real soft. Elliot was being camera shy.:p

I'm sure he's feeling much better in there, that's a very nice set up.. But I can't help but think that a level really wouldn't be that hard to put in. That way he'd use some of the higher up space as well. Maybe NIC cubes zip tied to the side with a dowel support or something?
:)

Thanks Misery. It's like a condo, right..:bunny17:
I am sure it will evolve over time. The nic upper level is a great idea. What could I use for a ramp?

MiserySmith I was thinking the same thing. Add a couple of levels and a ramp to get in and out and it would be even better. I don't think you could build a better NIC from scratch. Instead of NIC cubes I'd get some ply wood cut to size and zip tie that in. Use horizontal dowel zip tied to the sides for extra support.

Hi Sharon, thanks. I do have two thick dowels that fit the whole length or width. This cage is 42X42". What would you make ramps out of?

I would make them out of wood. You could hinge it to the upper level, then glue 2 inch strips horizontally accross the ramp spacing them 3 to 4 inched apart. You could most likely use the scap pieces from the ply wood you use to make the floor. I'm betting you could get 2 levels in there with no trouble.

Latest posts

Back