Elevated Rabbit Cage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaoticness

Reaction score
I made a post about my moving. At my house in VA we do have a slight mouse issue while it currently is under control there is always that what if and I am thinking of getting an idea 6x6(or 2x4) cube storage unit, laying it down flat and getting a sheet of plywood(is that the right wording) laying it on top of the cube storage and getting C&C cage(mostly for the sake of the coroplast bottom). He'd have free roaming space and would be out in that space during the day and just be in the cage at night or when I'm at work.

Does this seem like a smart idea? What would you do if you were in this situation?

Not quite sure I'm following what you are suggesting. Could you explain it further? It sounds like you are liking the idea of the coroplast but that really is not ideal for rabbits. It is too slippery for them. Something with traction is better.
Here's a sample 2x4 NIC cage. And then also another idea-- this one might keep mice out??

Attachments

• 1675304334843.jpeg
    1675304334843.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 1675304432210.png
    1675304432210.png
    553.8 KB · Views: 0
Not quite sure I'm following what you are suggesting. Could you explain it further? It sounds like you are liking the idea of the coroplast but that really is not ideal for rabbits. It is too slippery for them. Something with traction is better.
Here's a sample 2x4 NIC cage. And then also another idea-- this one might keep mice out??
Coroplast would be the base protecting the plywood and I'd get something to cover it like a fleece blanket, towel, or foam. Just something to keep him off the floor at night. I'm not taking his cage with me because there possibly won't be enough space in my car unless I take it apart and pay my roommates to ship it cross country for me(that's an idea too).

You could use a remnant sheet of rolled vinyl to go on top of plywood. You could find some with grip or traction. That could be an option.

If you try to cover coroplast with fleece or towel, you'll need to use binder clips or similar to secure it snugly or it will just slip and slide on top of the plastic.

The part I didn't get was what you're putting below the plywood and what you're putting above.

You could use a remnant sheet of rolled vinyl to go on top of plywood. You could find some with grip or traction. That could be an option.

If you try to cover coroplast with fleece or towel, you'll need to use binder clips or similar to secure it snugly or it will just slip and slide on top of the plastic.

The part I didn't get was what you're putting below the plywood and what you're putting above.
The plywood for stability mostly since the cube storage I pulled up didn't have any backing on it at all. I'm not sure how firm coroplast is if it would sag or not.

Do you have a photo of this cube storage? And is this cube storage what you want to use underneath the plywood to raise the actual cage?

Do you have a photo of this cube storage? And is this cube storage what you want to use underneath the plywood to raise the actual cage?
Like this since there is no solid backing on it if he were to get binkies I'm not sure if the coroplast would hold up if he popped off on an open section.
But my sister is giving me ideas to mouse proof my room(with door draft protectors)

Where did you get the white cube cage set up? Or where can I get one? That’s pretty cool!

Where did you get the white cube cage set up? Or where can I get one? That’s pretty cool!
You can put one together using NIC grids. Just be sure to use zipties rather than those round connectors that come with the shelving. Each panel should have 9 squares across. (Some from Target have only 5 squares across which makes the openings too large to be safe for a rabbit.) These are the grids.

There are links to tutorials and photos of other configurations here, under Habitat/cage ideas.

Attachments

• 1675488693980.jpeg
    1675488693980.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 0
Like this since there is no solid backing on it if he were to get binkies I'm not sure if the coroplast would hold up if he popped off on an open section.
But my sister is giving me ideas to mouse proof my room(with door draft protectors)
If the cubes are laid down so that the supports are still 12" or so apart, then the coroplast would hold up. But if there was, say, a 2' distance between the supports under the coroplast, then the coroplast would bow/bend down.
But hopefully it will be a non-issue if you are able to mouse-proof.

You can put one together using NIC grids. Just be sure to use zipties rather than those round connectors that come with the shelving. Each panel should have 9 squares across. (Some from Target have only 5 squares across which makes the openings too large to be safe for a rabbit.) These are the grids.

There are links to tutorials and photos of other configurations here, under Habitat/cage ideas.
Thank you so much for this! My buns need an upgrade lol

We live on the edge of town, so I have traps baited with dog food mostly for rats which were living in our neighbors hot tub. Once they got pest control after I had to prove the vermin weren't under my shed which is flat on concrete and full of chlorine and other pool chemicals we no longer have a problem with rodents (mice and rats) but I still keep baited traps around the yard for the occasional visitor. I also upgraded all the doors with raised bases so the gap is no longer there, making egress for any rodent impossible--bit of work, but peace of mind is priceless.

Latest posts

Back