Effective disinfectant for killing RHDV2?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arloismybunny

Reaction score
Arlo is 3 months old and I’ve only had him for about a month and I’m terrified of him living a short life due to this awful disease. I don’t know how I wasn’t aware about it before as I literally just found out two days ago about the virus and now I’m worried that I might have exposed him to it because I didn’t know. I’m hoping he will be fine. I was wondering what disinfectants kill the virus? What can I mop my floors with that will definitely kill the virus (I have tile floors and wood)

Arlo is 3 months old and I’ve only had him for about a month and I’m terrified of him living a short life due to this awful disease. I don’t know how I wasn’t aware about it before as I literally just found out two days ago about the virus and now I’m worried that I might have exposed him to it because I didn’t know. I’m hoping he will be fine. I was wondering what disinfectants kill the virus? What can I mop my floors with that will definitely kill the virus (I have tile floors and wood)
I used a strong cleaner on all my floors when my bunnies got the disease and it seemed to work

Occasionally, I have to allow a plumber or electrician in the house to effect a repair. Afterward, I bleach all exposed floor areas, which is a lot of work, but it certainly worth the bother to protect my two darlings.

Virkon is the best disinfectant to use against it. Bleach (above a certain strength) will work as well. Normal household cleaners don't affect it.

Virkon is the best disinfectant to use against it. Bleach (above a certain strength) will work as well. Normal household cleaners don't affect it.
Thank you! My brother just walked through the entire house wearing his shoes after I specifically told him not to🤦‍♀️

I’m so sorry this is so embarrassing but I actually live in New Jersey. I can’t even remember why I have it that I’m 21 and in Maine because I’m only 16 and live in New Jersey so I’m so sorry for confusing you.

You can make any corrections you like on your profile. Just click on your name at the top right. Then go to account details.

Yes it is in the UK, and rabbits need annual vaccination against the 2 strains 1 and 2. Think spread by mosquitos and flies? And contact with wild rabbits

Yes it is in the UK, and rabbits need annual vaccination against the 2 strains 1 and 2. Think spread by mosquitos and flies? And contact with wild rabbits
Okay . Cats often go in fields by my house and they could probably pick it up on their feet. He's getting vaccinated very soon .

He will more than likely be fine. Especially if he is an inside bun. I would recommend taking him to get his vaccinations every year tho! :)

He will more than likely be fine. Especially if he is an inside bun. I would recommend taking him to get his vaccinations every year tho! :)
US rabbits generally don't get vaccinations. They simply aren't available. There are only now beginning to be a few vets that have the RHVD2 vaccine but those are limited to areas with known infections.

RHVD has been in the UK for a long time but is relatively new in the US.

I called his vet and they said they don’t do rabbit vaccines and so I called another one near me at they said the same thing! I’m more worried about RHDV2 since my brother has a tendency to “forget” to take his shoes off when he walks in the door and the room Arlo roams is in the center of the house when you first walk in! I’ve talked to him about it but it still happens sometimes!

Latest posts

Back