Educate me about mites!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwest_mom

Reaction score
My dtr wants a bunny, but I read they have mites?
Can a human get them from their bunny?
Can they infest your home?
How often are mites an issue?
How do bunnies get them? How to prevent?
*This is my one thing preventing me from saying yes to a bunny. Please educate me on this topic! Thx!

I realize this is anecdotal, but I've had rabbits on and off since the mid/late 80s... so over a dozen rabbits spread out over years. I never once had an issue with mites. Here on the forum, we've had the occasional owner that has had their rabbits and/or other pets get mites but it is treatable. I would definitely not characterize mites as being a normal part of rabbit ownership.

There are a number of myths, however, that surround rabbits as pets. You may want to take a look at some of these myths (perhaps even with your daughter).
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/myths.html
The care required is often underestimated, as are the ongoing costs of maintaining a rabbit. I'm not trying to discourage you from getting a rabbit, just hoping to let you know what to expect. It isn't uncommon for rabbits to be given up to a shelter because the new owner didn't realize the work or cost involved, or they made the mistake of getting a baby bunny instead of an already-fixed rabbit.

The other sections of the site linked (my site) explains more -- including realistic cost expectations as well as ways to save on those costs.

On a similar note (and not knowing at all any of your background, so this may be information you already know), if you have in your mind the idea that a rabbit can spend most of its time in a cage in your daughter's bedroom and be taken out occasionally for some cuddles, that would be a very false (but very commonly believed) idea. The website linked above was created with the intent to let people see what it truly is like to have an indoor pet rabbit. So feel free to use that as a resource.

In the meantime, even here on RO, the following thread provides some samples of appropriate indoor housing for pet rabbits.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/2022-indoor-cages-add-your-photo.103444/

My dtr wants a bunny, but I read they have mites?
Can a human get them from their bunny?
Can they infest your home?
How often are mites an issue?
How do bunnies get them? How to prevent?
*This is my one thing preventing me from saying yes to a bunny. Please educate me on this topic! Thx!

Not normally, it's like saying humans have head lice. Can happen, but is way more easily dealt with than head lice.
No, not really, most mites are rather host specific.
No.
Rarely, in 10 years of breeding rabbits one buck had fur mites once, another one ear mites. No problem.
Hard to tell. No point in worrying about it, when it pops up I deal with it (applying drops on the fur twice, 3 weeks apart).

Although I reckon those critters can give one the creeps I too think that is a rather unusual decision point, there are so much more things about rabbits I would think about first.

if the bunny will always have mites, regardless if s/he has been treated with revolution multiple times, then it means the bunny isn't being taken care of properly.

Usually bunnies that live in an unkept enclosure would get mites, or a bunny that has a poor diet. So to avoid this, regularly clean your bunny's place and disinfect the area if you have to. Give the right diet of unlimited high fiber hay, limited hay-based pellets, and a variety of herbs and veggies.

I used to treat my buns with Revolution monthly for prevention of mites, but then I was told that it wasn't necessary and can make them immune when they need it. But I still keep a box with me just in case I need :)

I agree with blue eyes, rabbits require work and can get very costly. There considered exotic. They are one of the most pets that go to shelters. The really sad note with that is they are not even counted when they are euthanized like cats and dogs. I could go on.
Do your homework and research before getting one as a pet.

@pmurtagh08 is that right about rabbits being exempt or excluded from the euthanization numbers shelters may have to document or show?

I volunteered at a shelter for numerous years and saw how the rabbits were treated or regarded. Always the lesser-worthy or important companion pet.

Back