eating no veggies but more hay??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emay75

Reaction score
hi guys!
my bunny lemon sort of suddenly stopped eating his veges and also is eating less of his grain, but has started to eat a lot more hay. is this normal?
he's never been super into veges but i'm worried that he's stopped eating them all together, all he eats are blueberries, tomatoes or apples which are just treat amounts, nothing in large volume like his spinach or kale...

Are you saying the veggies you feed him are spinach and kale? Quoted from the house rabbit society.” Never give your rabbit kale or spinach. Kale and spinach can cause health problems over time, due to the high amount of oxalates and goitrogens.” how long have you been feeding them? Over a long period of time? Maybe the oxalates just caught up with him. Do you feed any other veggies?

Rabbits evoloved on a meager diet, and too rich stuff can make them feel uncomfortable, or even sick. When they have the choice they know what to eat that makes them feel ok again.
Pet rabbits do not need grains. It's ok to feed to growouts prior butchering since there are no long term health issues, but you better have use for the excess fat.
Vegetables were created for human consumption, because unlike rabbits we can't digest the meager stuff. They, on the other hand, depend on all that fiber.

I think he has some stomach issues due to a too rich diet, and compensates by eating hay - which is a good thing.

"Never" is a strong term, kale actually is a good supplement in winter. It's all about what amounts are fed, and about diversity - the more the better, imo.

Quoted from the house rabbit society.” Never give your rabbit kale or spinach. Kale and spinach can cause health problems over time, due to the high amount of oxalates and goitrogens.”

Don't recall ever seeing such a quote. Kale and spinach are fine to give (spinach in moderation).
The House Rabbit Society actually has both kale and spinach on their recommended list of greens to feed. They do caution that spinach (not kale) is high in oxalic acid and so should be given in lesser quantities.
https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Sorry I quoted wrong. I saw House rabbit and my brain filled in the rest!

Attachments

• 5B1AB33D-3FC1-4E5A-8B4C-02129EA39B7B.jpeg
    5B1AB33D-3FC1-4E5A-8B4C-02129EA39B7B.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 2
thanks for the responses guys!
i don't feed him a lot of spinach or kale, and he also gets other veggies as well (all off approved lists of what rabbits can eat, don't worry!) and he doesn't eat a whole lot of any vegetable, a few leaves here and there but not bowl fulls.
i'm thinking maybe he was just sick of his options as i tried him on a bit of chopped up celery last night and he loved it. also back to eating his grain as well :)

Latest posts

Back