Eating habits and heat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayonayz

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Got my first bunny a few weeks ago, he'll be a year old on the 4th of July.
It's my first summer with a bunny, so I'm not sure of some things.
I noticed he made a clear spot on the floor of his cage, not touching any hay, or his food dish when he lies down (he loves to rearrange his cage,) and wondered if this is because the weather here has gotten quite hot, and we don't have A/C?
As well, I noticed he doesn't seem to be eating with the same vigor as he did.
I fed him recently, and he usually goes straight to eat once the food is in.
Tonight, he stayed where he was, and only started picking at his lettuce and parsley recently.
Something else to blame on the heat?
I have a fan circulating the air in my room, and it's actually a lot cooler than the rest of the house, thanks to a nice breeze and an open window.
What else can I do to try and keep him cool, and comfortable?
Is this behaviour a reason to call the vet, or something most bunnies do?
Anything I should be on the lookout for or should be feeding him to make sure he's hydrated properly?
Thanks!

-Sam and Fozie

Mine have always tended to eat a bit less when it's hot and we aren't running the a/c. So, I'd say that's normal. Just monitor it.

Another idea is to freeze some ceramic tiles and lay them in there for him to lay on:).

Both are very excellent ideas!
I shall experiment with the two and see which he prefers.
Though for the water bottle method: It would sweat, would it not?
Maybe put it in a dish to keep his cage from getting wet?

mayonayz wrote:
It would sweat, but no biggie:D. I don't put anything in mine for the sweat. Of course, my goofie bun doesn't even lay next to it when I use it:?.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
mayonayz wrote:
It would sweat, but no biggie:D. I don't put anything in mine for the sweat. Of course, my goofie bun doesn't even lay next to it when I use it:?.
The dampness won't bother him any, it will help keep him cooler. Besides, if you put it in a dish, then he can't snuggle up to it to keep cool with it.

Latest posts

Back