Dwarf rabbit safe to roam??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kisha.princess

Princess
Reaction score
I have a dwarf rabbit and I know when rabbits get bigger a lot of owners "rabbit proof" their homes so they don't need a cage anymore. Well since my rabbit is so small and she can slip under and around stuff easily do you think it is safe to let her roam free or should I keep her in her cage?

It's okay to let your rabbit explore and exercise outside of the cage. However, it would be best to bunny proof and let her roam contained in one or two rooms of the house. Rabbits (of any size) are still very small, quiet animals that can quickly appear under foot when you least expect it. By containing them to a room or two, you can more completely bunny proof the area and also know exactly where she is at all times.

As far as bunny proofing goes, rabbits chew everything. It is best to keep all valuables and electrical cords either covered or out of reach. The same goes for valuable furniture.

It's okay to let your rabbit explore and exercise outside of the cage. However, it would be best to bunny proof and let her roam contained in one or two rooms of the house. Rabbits (of any size) are still very small, quiet animals that can quickly appear under foot when you least expect it. .

How true. Just this morning lady got out of the bathroom hallway running area and my husband was sitting on the bed barefoot and felt something tickle his foot. He looked down and Lady had gotten past the barrier we put up between the hallway and bedroom and had been happily hopping around without us knowing! I fixed that!

Vanessa

It's okay to let your rabbit explore and exercise outside of the cage. However, it would be best to bunny proof and let her roam contained in one or two rooms of the house. Rabbits (of any size) are still very small, quiet animals that can quickly appear under foot when you least expect it. By containing them to a room or two, you can more completely bunny proof the area and also know exactly where she is at all times.

As far as bunny proofing goes, rabbits chew everything. It is best to keep all valuables and electrical cords either covered or out of reach. The same goes for valuable furniture.

So very true! I have to supervise Mocha when I let him out for exercise time because he likes to hop up on my bed and chew whatever he can find, be it charger cables, laptop cords, notebooks, his bag of treats, the bedsheet... and sometimes you don't even notice until days later.

Gaz chewed through our waterproof mattress cover (which is there because sometimes she thinks beds are for peeing >.>) while I was sitting right beside her working on a project and apparently not paying enough attention, heh.

I have a dwarf rabbit and I know when rabbits get bigger a lot of owners "rabbit proof" their homes so they don't need a cage anymore. Well since my rabbit is so small and she can slip under and around stuff easily do you think it is safe to let her roam free or should I keep her in her cage?

Bunny proofing is unique to each rabbit. There are lots of tips on various sites but once you've bunny-proofed, there will be a testing period. You'll just need to supervise closely for the first few weeks whenever she's out. That way you can discover any weak or unexpected areas that might need proofing.

Over time, you will get more confident and comfortable with what proofing works. I used to confine my rabbits to an x-pen that wrapped around their cage during those times when I was not home. Now, the bunny-proofing is settled enough that I no longer use an x-pen. They can be out loose downstairs all day, even if no one is home.

Yes, definitely bunny proof everything you don´t want them to touch. MIne are in the living room and get into everything but I still haven´t managed to get them to stop having a nibble underneath the china cabinet so I have to be able to supervise them when they´re out even if it´s only to shout at them every now and then. They have quite a large area when they´re locked in but I couldn´t trust then on their own when I´m not there. And don´t leave phone charges, computer cables or remotes, nothing is safe lol.

Cables especially make sure to watch! My daughter had her new tablet chord plugged in and she didn't think our little 2lb bun could get it but he did. Oh and they can still jump being as small as they are. Mason can jump on my daughters bed and it's 3 ft off the ground.

as long as you've bunny proofed its fine. Peepers is 1.8lbs, she is only caged when I am not home, and not only does get get my whole main floor, she runs it with 8 medium/large dogs and has for the past 3.5 years. everything dangerous is blocked off. she does get into trouble sometimes, like she will sneak past the gate and go upstairs and sneak into my brothers room and get into his stuff lol, but for the most part its not really an issue.

ETA she did have to earn her space, how much of the house she had access too was gradual, not *boom* here have the whole floor.

ETA she did have to earn her space, how much of the house she had access too was gradual, not *boom* here have the whole floor.

Ah, yes! Good reminder! Once an area is bunny-proofed, it's good to start with a smaller area initially to be sure bunny is returning to potty and is behaving well. The roaming area can be enlarged gradually over time.

Latest posts

Back