Drizzle's poops seem way too small, Hazel is making a weird noise...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they won't eat it on their own..you can place a "dob " (its like a gel)on your forefinger and try to get it into their mouths by holding the rabbit and sneakily placing your finger in his mouth. it sounds primitive but it works OK for me.

Ok, so I do a dob today and then another one 3 days from now? Sorry for all the questions, but I swear sometimes these directions are Chinese to me even though they're in English.

After an hour and a half of play, Latte and Drizzle decided to fight a little, and Latte ended upbiting Drizzle on his rear. :nonono:

He has blood around his anus, but I can't find a bite wound...hold on.

Photos (I still can't tell where he got bit, but that's the only place that seems to be bleeding):

This is kinda blurry:
S4010006-1.jpg

There's some blood in this one on his anus.
S4010011-2.jpg

S4010010-3.jpg

Suggestions? Should I just clean with Peroxide?

The reason that it is prescribed is to keep the gut flora of the rabbit normal even when the rabbit is on antibiotics.

The reason I suggested it is that I have noticed that it sometimes will make them poop more.

You can do a dob every 3 day if he is still on antibiotics and/or if he starts to poop a little more.

This is the best site I've found on gut stasis, excellant info on it that helped save my Silver herdsire a few years ago. I did end up using the colace/stool softener, after the mineral oil wasn't working well enough. I also did a lot of massage, and he recovered. I really thought I was going to lose him. You can use cat hairball remedy on rabbits also. I don't like seeing fur in rabbit feces, makes me nervous. Gut stasis is something that I really fear, lost a favourite to it.

http://www.lopsandcavies.com/woolblock_fur_block.htm

Are you sure Latte bit him there? Has there been any blood there before? If youre sure its a bit wound, I would just keep it clean and maybe put some neosporin on it if its not too close to his actual anus (its difficult to tell from the picture).

You sure thats not something there from straining or anything though?

Haley wrote:
Are you sure Latte bit him there? Has there been any blood there before? If youre sure its a bit wound, I would just keep it clean and maybe put some neosporin on it if its not too close to his actual anus (its difficult to tell from the picture).

You sure thats not something there from straining or anything though?
Well I didn't notice it till after Latte and him fought.And I've been watchinghis butt a lot!There was fur pulled and Drizzle did flinch. As I was looking for wounds there was no blood, but then there was some on my hand and I noticed it was from my other hand holding his butt. The blood was isolated right around the anus only so my guess is Latte did actually bite the anus.

A little while afterward, I would say maybe 12 minutes afterward, he did have 4 poops that had what appeared to be blood on them. But after a few more minutes, he pooped again and had 4 more with no blood, and it appeared that the bleeding had stopped down there.

I don't think it's from straining, but I'll have to watch him and see if anymore come out in blood. They weren't smeared in it, it was just lightly coated and dried quickly.

No blood still from what I can see. :?

BTW, when you try to edit a post from like 20 min. ago, it gives you an error that says "sorry, you can only edit a post within .2 hours of posting". .2 hours? Didn't it used to be 2?

It used to be 2 hours..then we went to no time limit (because we thought people would edit their blogs after the forum move). Due to a forum member abusing their editing powers (and deleting many posts) we had to further limit it again..

Haley wrote:
It used to be 2 hours..then we went to no time limit (because we thought people would edit their blogs after the forum move). Due to a forum member abusing their editing powers (and deleting many posts) we had to further limit it again..
Oh, ok. No prob. I just thought my computer was acting up because of all the malicious software I had on it yesterday. Just wanted to check that it wasn't just me! :biggrin2:Thanks, for letting me know Haley.

BTW, just got back w/ some food for myself and Pedialyte for Drizzle. I got the unflavored kind because I thought I could mix it w/ something he likes and is more natural. I'll keep everyone posted. And thanks all for being there for me. Big hug! :groupparty:

Ok, Drizzle just pooped again and they are really small. He doesn't seem to be straining and he's eating. I don't know what's going on with him. I just gave him some pedialyte about an 30 minutes ago. I'm going to give him a little bene-bac now and see if that helps. :bangheadDon't they seem smaller? Arrgh! I don't know if I should wait till tomorrow to take him to a vet if his poops seem to be getting smaller now!

S4010004-2.jpg

S4010003-1.jpg

S4010002.jpg

FYI, my vet is open till 8pm tonight and opens again at 6:30 tomorrow. Right now he's just sitting still in a corner and he occasionally licks himself down there. But he's not bouncing around much.

UPDATe: Now he's bouncing around a bit!!! ARRGH! Drizzle pick a symptom! My vet gets in tomorrow at 9 am in the clinic (walk in). So I'll keep up tonight and make sure he's fine.

I'd get him to the vet, explain your fears, and see if they think he should be treated for gut stasis, or if the vet thinks its something esle, or nothing to worry about. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix.

Bramblerose wrote:
I'd get him to the vet, explain your fears, and see if they think he should be treated for gut stasis, or if the vet thinks its something esle, or nothing to worry about. I hope it turns out to be an easy fix.
Yeah I called the vet's office and let them know I may be bringing him in tomorrow (as my vet is not currently in). I just gave him bene-bac (which he did NOT like AT ALL). And felt his tummy and it feels like he has some normalish sized poops that'll be coming out soon. I'll just sleep downstairs tonight and check I guess.

Thanks again guys. I'm so tired, where I got my blood drawn yesterday was still kinda bleeding today, and after tonight, I'm going to have to wake up WAY early on Sat. to get my parents to the airport by 3am.:(

Small and hairy poops are pretty normal for a molting rabbit, and I'd guess Drizz is molting. Keep doing what you're doing espeically with the pumpkin,fluids and exercise, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Sometimes my guys will try and squeeze out whatever poops they can muster,'ripe' or not, just to mark their territory when there have been changes made, like a new rabbitroomie.

If you want to be extra cautious, I'd replace all your pellets and hay, mycotoxins have been known to cause a variety of symptoms, but that's only avery slight chance.

Hope all is back to normal soon!

sas :bunnydance:

Pipp wrote:
Small and hairy poops are pretty normal for a molting rabbit, and I'd guess Drizz is molting. Keep doing what you're doing espeically with the pumpkin,fluids and exercise, I'm sure he'll be fine.

Sometimes my guys will try and squeeze out whatever poops they can muster,'ripe' or not, just to mark their territory when there have been changes made, like a new rabbitroomie.

If you want to be extra cautious, I'd replace all your pellets and hay, mycotoxins have been known to cause a variety of symptoms, but that's only avery slight chance.

Hope all is back to normal soon!

sas :bunnydance:
Thanks. I'm hoping he'll be fine but just to be on the safe side, I'll grab some Simethicone and Nutrical from the store. Just to have on hand.Our Target and Petsmart are right next to each other. Yay! Be back later.

I don't think that Drizzle is in any danger right now. He is eating and even though his poops aren't huge they are still coming out which is good. Keep giving him fluids and give him some clean wet veggies and lots of exercise.
I didn't mean to ignore the butt bite but the picture didn't come up this afternoon.

I would have the vet take a peek at it although it probably will be alright.
Don't use pure undiluted hydrogen peroxide on him......too strong

If you already have and he's OK then don't worry about it. I have heard of rabbits having fatal consequences from pure hydrogen peroxide. Dilute it really weak or you can use a really weak betadine solution.

angieluv wrote:
I don't think that Drizzle is in any danger right now. He is eating and even though his poops aren't huge they are still coming out which is good. Keep giving him fluids and give him some clean wet veggies and lots of exercise.
I didn't mean to ignore the butt bite but the picture didn't come up this afternoon.

I would have the vet take a peek at it although it probably will be alright.
Don't use pure undiluted hydrogen peroxide on him......too strong

If you already have and he's OK then don't worry about it. I have heard of rabbits having fatal consequences from pure hydrogen peroxide. Dilute it really weak or you can use a really weak betadine solution.
I didn't think you were ignoring them. I was having some photo probs while you were probably typing. :hug:

I just cleaned it with water and a cotton ball and then put triple antibiotic ointment down there. I decided not to use peroxide, just in case he would lick himself.It doesn't look too bad now. I think Latte pulled a lot of fur on Driz's lower abs and just nipped at his hole.

PS: Make sure your own worrying doesn't stress out the bunnies. They are very sensitive to these things.

Be calm, soothing and upbeat and try not to disrupt the usual routine any more than you have to.

sas :twocents

Pipp wrote:
PS: Make sure your own worrying doesn't stress out the bunnies. They are very sensitive to these things.

Be calm, soothing and upbeat and try not to disrupt the usual routine any more than you have to.

sas :twocents
I'm back. Ok. I know they are very susceptible to my feelings. I'm going to calm down, put in a movie, and put Drizzle in my lap for a massage and maybe a little heating from the heating pad on his tummy.

Out with the jive, in with the love...

I should relax anyway. I got blood taken yesterday and where they took it, it was still bleeding a little today and I freaked out. Not that I'm scared of blood, but I passed out yesterday getting it taken (like every other time I get it taken) so I'm not feeling too hot anyways. I'm just going to relax, maybe have some tea, and have a snuggle with Drizzle. :pet:

Latest posts

Back