Drizzle's poops seem way too small, Hazel is making a weird noise...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip, angieluv. It's weird because it smells so sweet (they sweetened it as Watermelon), but I think that it's just not a good flavor for bunnies. My old vet used to flavor it as strawberry or banana which they seemed to like better. But good news is Hazel and Drizzle are fine taking it. It's just Latte who's still not happy. But if I hold a craisin out, he opens his mouth, I shoot the meds in and then give him the craisin! Seems to be working so far!

Update:

Latte seems to be feeling better. However, he's still sneezing. Could be from hay dust though so I'm going to thoroughly vaccuum his cage today. I'm sure he'll be thrilled ;)But his tilt seems less tilty overall so he must be feeling better.

Hazel isn't sneezing anymore so that's good. She's been very playful too.

Drizzle :sigh: well he's not sneezing anymore. Yay! But his poops are still small. They're bigger than they were last week, but not as big as they used to be. They are about 2/3 the size of Hazel's poops and it's weird because she's 1lb smaller than he is! Maybe it's just my imagination, but I could swear his poops used to be bigger! There is also an inconsistancy in size. Like they'll be some that look fairly normal (for today's standard) and then they'll be some next to it about the size of a grain of pepper. Also, they all seem not completely round to me. Like one side is kinda flat? So like a tiny bit squished? Could that be fromablockage of hair or something? I'm keeping the belly massages, juice, hay, and pumpkin going to hopefully he'll get back to normal on it's own. But the good thing is he's eating and keeps pooping. How much do xrays run at the vet for my knowledge, as if it doesn't get back to normal that would be the next step. I hope it doesn't come to that though. :(

Also, can the changes in temps do that to rabbits poops? The weather has been just so weird here. Or stress? The first time this happened (or the first time I actually noticed it) was when Latte got into his cage one day. And I figured having Hazel around might have been kinda stressful, so I thought he'd be better by now. IDK, maybe he ate something (like that styrofoam) but I can't remember what his poops were like after he did that too.

:Sigh: my heart bun Driz is not cooperating is he. The little dude needs to get better!

Is drizzle on antibiotics..I think they all are.
I don't think that you're imagining his poops are smaller...could be very slow insidious onset of stasis.
This is off the top but some vets order bene-bac with antibiotics. It may (or may not establish gut flora )
I have found that bene-bac has sometimes made my rabbits poop..I just learned that by accident over different times of giving it to different buns.

You can get bene-bac either from some vets or at petco in the small animal section.
Also I would feed drizzle a lot of greens that are clean but left wet and encourage any other fluid intake.
If the problem persists maybe the vet could do an x-ray and see if their is any type of blockage.
I have used mineral oil (very dangerous to administer because of aspiration) but I would saydon't usein a rabbit that doesn't take meds well or one that is on an antibiotic (decreases absorption of the drug)
Mineral oil or laxatone is usally a "no-no" but I have used it occaionally to jumpstart a rabbit that is beginning to go into stasis and it has always worked.
Possibly you should talk with your vet about Drizzle because as I said above I don't think you are imagining it.

angieluv wrote:
Is drizzle on antibiotics..I think they all are.
I don't think that you're imagining his poops are smaller...could be very slow insidious onset of stasis.
This is off the top but some vets order bene-bac with antibiotics. It may (or may not establish gut flora )
I have found that bene-bac has sometimes made my rabbits poop..I just learned that by accident over different times of giving it to different buns.

You can get bene-bac either from some vets or at petco in the small animal section.
Also I would feed drizzle a lot of greens that are clean but left wet and encourage any other fluid intake.
If the problem persists maybe the vet could do an x-ray and see if their is any type of blockage.
I have used mineral oil (very dangerous to administer because of aspiration) but I would saydon't usein a rabbit that doesn't take meds well or one that is on an antibiotic (decreases absorption of the drug)
Mineral oil or laxatone is usally a "no-no" but I have used it occaionally to jumpstart a rabbit that is beginning to go into stasis and it has always worked.
Possibly you should talk with your vet about Drizzle because as I said above I don't think you are imagining it.

Thanks angieluv. Yeah Driz is on antibiotics. I'll look into picking ups some bene-bac today. She wanted me to give the buns yogurt one hour after the meds, but they just won't eat it. I wonder if that's similiar to giving them bene-bac?

I'll definitely keep more greens in his cage.

The vet knows about Driz's problem and I suppose since it's been a week since I took him in and I've seen little improvement that I should call her again. She said the next step would be xrays or ultrasound.

I just hope these xrays don't cost me a ton of money! :?On top of that I'M going to the doctor today too so...hurrah...I'm being sarcastic.

Now if he is slowly going into stasis, could that be caused by a hairball or the tiny piece of styrofoam he ate? Or is his GI tract just lazy?

UPDATE: Well I FINALLY got each of them to eat the yogurt. I bought a better flavor (strawberry banana). Driz ate it off a spoon. Hazel ate it mixed with food in her bowl. And...I had to put some on Latte's front paws for him to lick it off but he did.

However, I just noticed I gave them the 'fat free' version that probably contains aspertame. They only got 1.5 ML of yogurt. Thoughts on this? Should I just go buy the regular kind to be safe?

Yogurt is an old technique, and is out dated because rabbits are lactose intolerant.

My vet gives me acidophilus pills, which is the active pro-biotic in yogurt but with out the lactose. I give a half a pill twice a day mixed with a little bit of juice.

You can also get other types of "good bacteria" to give a bun like bene-bac.

My advice would be to not give yogurt and use acidophilus instead. You can find it in most health stores.

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
Yogurt is an old technique, and is out dated because rabbits are lactose intolerant.

My vet gives me acidophilus pills, which is the active pro-biotic in yogurt but with out the lactose. I give a half a pill twice a day mixed with a little bit of juice.

You can also get other types of "good bacteria" to give a bun like bene-bac.

My advice would be to not give yogurt and use acidophilus instead. You can find it in most health stores.

--Dawn
Ok. I'll stop and get the bene-bac or acidophilus. Thanks, Dawn!

But that makes me question this new vet. Hmm...maybe I'll call my old one too, just to get his take on it. He's kinda far away now though. And this new hospital is walk-in which is nice. :Shrug: This is really frustrating.
Ok, back to belly rubs for Drizzle!

Many vets are really good, but have a down fall somewhere. You just need to be on your toes and be ready to question anything suspicious. I always question anything my vet recommends that I think might not be quite right.

This doesn't mean this isn't a good vet to go to.

Maybe you can find some information on the net somewhere from a credible source, print it out and bring it to your new vet. Then they can learn too.

--Dawn

ok...Im just catching up here.

Im with Dawn in that I wouldnt give Yogurt. Ive actually heard Pineapple juice is no good either (not so much that its bad but that it doesnt really do anything). As Dawn mentioned a lot of vets just arent current on rabbit medicine, doesnt mean they arent a great vet..so be prepared to guide her, Ive had to do this many times.

As for Drizzle, I wouldnt worry too much about the poops if hes eating and drinking as usual. He's still active, right? I like the idea of adding apple juice or flavored pedialyte to the water. Misting his hay with some when you put it into his cage might encourage him as well.

For the sneezing, its possible it could be a mild allergy. Is the discharge heavy or light? Im more inclined to just wait it out and keep an eye on her teeth and eyes and breathing. Baytril probably wont do much.

Haley wrote:
ok...Im just catching up here.

Im with Dawn in that I wouldnt give Yogurt. Ive actually heard Pineapple juice is no good either (not so much that its bad but that it doesnt really do anything). As Dawn mentioned a lot of vets just arent current on rabbit medicine, doesnt mean they arent a great vet..so be prepared to guide her, Ive had to do this many times.

As for Drizzle, I wouldnt worry too much about the poops if hes eating and drinking as usual. He's still active, right? I like the idea of adding apple juice or flavored pedialyte to the water. Misting his hay with some when you put it into his cage might encourage him as well.
Ok, I'll do that. I'll grab some pedialyte and bene-bac when I'm out today (before I go to the doctors). I'll just keep a closer eye on his poops for a while. He's still active when he's out of his cage. I posted a new video on my blog of him today actually, so you can see for yourself. I may keep him out for some time today to get some more exercise time than usual. Maybe it will encourage his gut to move better?

For the sneezing, its possible it could be a mild allergy. Is the discharge heavy or light? Im more inclined to just wait it out and keep an eye on her teeth and eyes and breathing. Baytril probably wont do much.
Well, Hazel has stopped sneezing. And they are all on Baytril. Drizzle and Hazel have both stopped since they've been on it. Hazel's discharge was clear but she has none now. Latte is less but it's still there. I remember my old vet (who treated him when he had his first tilt) said that he possibly broke some sinus bones and will sneeze every now and then because of this. However, the reason he went on it was the combo of the sneezing and the fact that I saw his tilt was slightly worse (and he was less active). Latte seems to be getting on better now.

LOL! I can see you holding a crasin and the bunny mouth opening...... SHOOT! she scores!!!

bunny is mad...... :p

Bo B Bunny wrote:
LOL! I can see you holding a crasin and the bunny mouth opening...... SHOOT! she scores!!!

bunny is mad...... :p
:nodYep, that's about it in a nutshell. But, whatever gets the job done, right? :thumbup

After my crazy day yesterday I am still a little tired (see my blog for more details). But Idid manage to go to the store and get some Bene-bac. I haven't given any to them yet, but least I have it. I did notice at Petco they did have Marshall Pet Product (bleh) Rabbit Hairball Lax and Obstruction Remedy. I didn't get it but was wondering if anyone used it or if it's just crap?

I did manage to be brave and gather up some of Driz's poops from yesterday, last night, and this morning. :vomit:And take a photo. Sorry that it'skindablurry, my camera sucks.I'll just post a link so those don't want to see poop don't have to. Click here.

Ok, for those enough who choose to see Driz's poops (and I can't believe I just posted them, he's going to feel so violated), I've labelled what is what for reference. And I got a little artistic. Sorry I'm an out of work Graphic Designer, so I have to do something. As you can see, there is a lot of hair in the last too. Perhaps he just has a hair blockage?

Let me know what you all think.

Ok so just to catch up-Hazel and Latter are ok since the Baytril but Drizzle's poops are still smaller than normal? Is anything else off with Drizzle other than smaller than usual poops (some with hair)? Is he eating/drinking and active as usual?

Great photo, btw! They actually dont look too bad to me, even the ones with hair. Ive had bouts where my boys have poops like that. I would just keep him active and get him to eat lots of hay and drink lots of fluids. If you want you could syringe him some pedialyte each day to get some extra fluids in him.

And skip the store bought "hair ball" stuff for bunnies. Its no good. :)

Haley wrote:
Ok so just to catch up-Hazel and Latter are ok since the Baytril but Drizzle's poops are still smaller than normal? Is anything else off with Drizzle other than smaller than usual poops (some with hair)? Is he eating/drinking and active as usual?
Latte still sneezes from time to time but no discharge and he's active. Hazel sneezed once today but this was the first time since last Thurs. that she sneezed and it was only once. No discharge. Drizzle is always lazy when he's in his cage. He just kinda lays there, but when he's out he'll run around a lot. Eating wise, he's eating a lot more hay on his own so that's good. It's probably because I've been giving him less pellets and making him eat the hay instead when he's hungry

Great photo, btw! They actually dont look too bad to me, even the ones with hair. Ive had bouts where my boys have poops like that. I would just keep him active and get him to eat lots of hay and drink lots of fluids. If you want you could syringe him some pedialyte each day to get some extra fluids in him.
Thanks regarding the photo. I was feeling artistic...even though there was poop involved! I'll keep him out longer today for active play. Maybe for a few hours or so while I'm cleaning. And I'll go grab some pedialyte. I just forgot to yesterday with all of the chaos.

BTW, the bene-bac I bought (I bought 2 of them) one has dogs on the front and the other has cats. Now, I look online and they said that they have ones for 'small animals'. However the instructions for the one online as well as the 2 I bought are the same "Directions for use: Recommended as a source of live naturally-occurring microorganisms for mammals when subjected to changing environment or conditions. Also recommended for hand-fed orphans. Newborns: 1 tube at birth; 1 tube on days 3, 4, & 7. Place gel on back of tongue. Post Weaning and Older: 1 tube up to 5 lbs body weight. Additional tube for each 20 lbs body weight up to 40 lbs. Administer 2 treatments, 3 days apart. Place gel on back of tongue or on food. "

So, I'm supposed to give each of them a whole tube of this stuff, 1 Tube today and then another tube Sunday? If so, they are not going to be happy at all!

And thanks for the link Haley! GI Stasis just sounds so scary in regards to my heart bunny. I'll definitely read up on it more thoroughly and ad the info to my bunny first aid file on my computer!

Yeah he sounds non critical to me then. Really, for a slow blockage that starting (like some hair in the gut) theres not much they can do other than fluids fluids fluids, hay and exercise. So just keep him hydrated and eating that hay. I would give him lots of run time. If it was a severe blockage you would feel his belly harden and get very very distended.

Ive never used Benebac so Im not sure. It sounds like they mean 1/2 tube today and 1/2 tube 3 days from now? I have to run now but try doing a search here on the forum to see if anyone else had instructions for administering it.

I'll check in later. Keep me posted!

Haley wrote:
Yeah he sounds non critical to me then. Really, for a slow blockage that starting (like some hair in the gut) theres not much they can do other than fluids fluids fluids, hay and exercise. So just keep him hydrated and eating that hay. I would give him lots of run time. If it was a severe blockage you would feel his belly harden and get very very distended.

Ok. His tummy is still soft. I've been giving him tummy rubs everyday, which he seems to enjoy. :)I'll bring him out soon for a run.

Ive never used Benebac so Im not sure. It sounds like they mean 1/2 tube today and 1/2 tube 3 days from now? I have to run now but try doing a search here on the forum to see if anyone else had instructions for administering it.

I'll check in later. Keep me posted!
That makes more sense in regards to the Bene-bac. I'll wait till I'm sure how to administer it. The people at Petco were clueless.

I will definitely keep you posted! Thanks again Haley!

Hmm...now I just saw as he pooped a2 of Latte's poops are a little smaller.Not too concerned since these are the first 2 small ones.

I just put Drizzle and Latte in the excerise pen together, with hay and water, and toys so they can have so fun and get each other to run around and play. We'll see how it goes.

I did notice that I haven't brushed Latte in a while so some hair may be the cause. I'm going to get pedialyte in a couple hours (I'll let them play for a while).

I was expecting the poop's to be much smaller..I don't think those poops are bad at all and some of my rabbits also have the hair in them which is good because its coming out.
If you have the tiny containers of benebac or if you are sure the dog cat benebac is the same you can just squirt some on you finger and either stick your finger in his mouth or rub it on his mouth so he has to lick it off. If you have the tiny tubes you can squirt it in their mouths but it is not easy to know how much you are giving.

I always give less than what they recommend because rabbits despise the taste of this stuff and mine practically run off in a panic the taste must be so gross.

All in all his poops look good. :biggrin2:

Thanks, angieluv. The benebac comes in a parck of 4 tubes of 1 gm a piece. It doesn't come with a syringe, just the 4 tubes. Both packs, even though one has dogs on the top and the other has cats say the same (4 tubes, 1 gram each).All the info on the back is the same.

So I should just put a little dab on my finger and get them to eat it? :?

Latest posts

Back