Drizzle's poops seem way too small, Hazel is making a weird noise...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalena2148

Reaction score
First off, Drizzle (2.5 years old, 3.75 lb, neutered [08.05]Nethie Mix):
I've noticed Drizzle's poops have been noticeably smaller as well as varied insize. They can be anywhere from his normal size for a 3.75 lb bunny to as big as a pepper grain (before it's crushed), so not very big at all. I'm trying to figure out if it's from stress from having Hazel in the same room? She's been there for a week now. Or, if it's from putting him in a new cage set up or stress from both? He's active when he's out of his cage, friendly/snuggly. I can't tell if he's straining to go to the bathroom. I've been pushing hay and gave him a belly rub last night. Is there anything else I can do here before I should take him to the vet? I know people have dealt with this before so I thought I'd check here first.

Next Hazel (1 year old, 3.02 lb, spayed [12.07]Dutch dwarf):
Hazel makes a lot of noises from her nose. When she's sleeping she sounds like a squeeze toy. She doesn't seem like she's struggling to breathe and I listened to her lungs and they sound clear to me. Her nose is a little wet but there is no colored discharge. I figure it could be wet because the weather is cold here and I also cleaned the bunny room a few days ago and there was a lot of hay dust. In general though, she does have a slight nose whistle. Could that be a problem?

And finally Latte (1.5 years old, 4.75 lb, neutered [11.06] Polish mix):
As some of you know, Latte had a severe inner ear and upper res infection right after I adopted him in Dec. 06. After nursing him back to health, he is feisty and his tilt is only slightly visible when he's tired. However, recently I seem to be noticing it more often. It hasn't gotten worse however. I think I just keep getting a look at him when he's tired. He doesn't hop in a diagonal line, he runs straight, jumps over objects fine. Can the cold affect his slight head tilt at all? He did sneeze a little the other day, but as I mentioned in Hazel's problems, I did clean a lot of dust. His nose has no discharge. And I recall my vet saying that his sinuses were damaged from the infection (some of the bones in the sinuses had little fractures) so that he could sneeze more often.

I swear, why can't they be sick one at a time instead of ALL at once? :(

Drizzle needs lots of water. Flavor it with cranberry juice or something to encourage more drinking.

Also, hay, hay and more hay! Get that gut moving better!

Hazel might be getting something and could be what is going on with Latte. I'd keep Drizzle away from them if possible.

Take Latte in for a checkup. Could be he's caught something else and it's affecting his ears.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Drizzle needs lots of water. Flavor it with cranberry juice or something to encourage more drinking.

Also, hay, hay and more hay! Get that gut moving better!
Thanks Bo B Bunny for the quick response.
Ok I will, although he is VERY iffy about eating hay in the day. He usually only eats it at night. Would a little pumpkin help or would that just block stuff more? My hubby just told me today that he may have eaten a very tiny piece of styrofoam when he was 'watching' him the other day. :?Could that have done it?

Hazel might be getting something and could be what is going on with Latte. I'd keep Drizzle away from them if possible.

Take Latte in for a checkup. Could be he's caught something else and it's affecting his ears.

Drizzle's cage is right next to Lattes like so:
S4010010-1.jpg

Hazel is in the extra cage so I don't know what to do with him.

I just moved, so I have called the new animal hospital near by that has a very good rabbit savvy vet, and they said I could bring all 3 in for an exam and 1/2 which comes out to $61 dollars for all 3.

So, if I bring Latte in for a check up, should I just bring in the other 2? Or would it stress out Drizzle too much? IDK.

Well, if they caught a cold - they've surely all gotten exposed.

YES the styrofoam could have done that - and YES pumpkin is a good idea! does he like it? Clover LOVES it.

I don't think it would hurt to have all three checked. I would be most worried about Latte and the ears and Hazel's wet nose. You could leave Drizzle home if you wanted to - it might be more stressful to take him. Also, tell the vet if you do that - and that you are concerned that he might have gotten exposed if they have something.

Could be the new environment too. If you just moved, the moisture in the house could be different or something.

LOL...ok so I accidentally left Latte's cage open up top. I heard a thump, went in to check on him, and he jumped 3 feet away from his cage, over a foot barrier onto Hazels cage. When he saw me, he jumped back in his own, although he had issues getting back in quickly. Would he be so active if he was sick?

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Well, if they caught a cold - they've surely all gotten exposed.

Can bunnies catch a cold? In the past, in articlesdealing withrabbit respiratory illnesses, I'd read that rabbits don't get a cold like humans do and when a rabbit is, for example, sneezing or coughing, it's due to a disease of the upper or lower respiratory system. Maybe this is now revised and vets have now concluded that rabbits do, eventually, catch colds?

Marietta

I don't know that they can actually "catch cold" as I stated...... but not knowing where the issues lie, I didn't want to say "If it's pasturella" or whatever....

There are certain diseases they can get from others but it's all relative to bacteria and such.

Several members here are much more educated on this and could enlighten us more.

Pumpkin pumpkin pumpkin...don't forget to give Drizzle some pumpkin. It's got both a good amount of moisture, and is an excellent source of fiber.

At the grocery store, you'll want to get canned 100% unsweetened nothing-added pumpkin. The rest of the can you can spoon into icecube trays and freeze, I believe for up to a year. Then just thaw out a cube whenever you need it! :D

Can also be used to make bun cookies/biscuits. :D

Ok back. This vet is a new one in my new house area, and she seems to be good. My mom also takes her dog to see her so I know her already. The buns seemed really relaxed so that was good.

So all their lungs sound clear so that's good. She said that Hazel is the only one w/ discharge and it's clear. She checked their teeth, ears, etc and that's all good so that's good. She thinks that Hazel might have been off when I got her and just gave something to the boys. But she said Latte's tilt might seem more apparaent just be because he wasn't feeling good because their was some debris in his nose.

She said Drizzle's poop could be because of his sneezing and general being 'off'.

Either way, she said it's good I brought them in before anything migrated to their ears or lungs and that I caught it right on time!

So we have Baytril 2x a day for each bunny (which resulted in me paying $60 for meds) and I also have to give them some active culture yogurt about an hour after the meds. She also said to give Drizzle some pineapple juice and some more exercise to get his gut moving better. She told me to watch him though because on a rare occasion pineapple juice can give them mild diarrea and if it does to give him less. I'm also going to give him plenty of pumpkin.

But at least no one is terribly sick. :)

Oh that's good to hear. Sounds like you caught everything early...GOOD ON YOU, Hun!! :highfive:

I'm really happy to hear that they're okay...what a relief! It's so hard when multiple sweeties are sick...:( I'm with you on that one, Sweetie...

Hugs to you four!:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hearts :hearts :hearts :hearts

Rosie*

Sigh so the meds aren't going particularly well.

Drizzle is fine w/ the meds and the juice (and the yogurt).

Latte...not so much. I think it brings back bad memories for him actually. This is the first time I had to bunny burrito him and he HATES it. He also flailed and cut my eyelid with his nails on his back paw.

Hazel is usually easy going but she does not like being held for meds at all. And she won't take it willingly which is weird because she took her Metacam fine before. I didn't have to hold her or anything. They just HATE Baytril! And it's flavored too! So, she bit me a little to get down.

I look like I've been through the war: cuts, bites, and medicine and other food smeared all over my shirt as Latte and Hazel wiped their mouths on me afterward. :?

Aww...Sweetie...I'm so sorry to hear that things are going so roughly with the meds. Yeah, it can be really painful (literally!) to give them their meds...

And even if it isn't a huge fight, it still takes a lot outta ya...

:hug: to you...I hope things improve for you. It's so hard to have so many sick at once...:(

Love to you,

Rosie*

lalena2148 wrote:
Latte...not so much. I think it brings back bad memories for him actually. This is the first time I had to bunny burrito him and he HATES it. He also flailed and cut my eyelid with his nails on his back paw. :?

Ooh, ick, OUCH!!!! *shouted while wincing*

Now your bunnies may have to take YOU to the doc for treatment. :shock:

Bunnies can be a real challenge to medicate. I remember changing packing on Stewart after he had a mass removed from his neck. The better he felt, the more he fought. It was brutal for both of us.

I'll be thinking of you. Hope all 4 of you are healed and healthy soon!

-Mary Ellen

:love:Thanks guys!

Well, I have a few hours before another round of 'let's bite mommy so we can run away from the medicine.' So, I'm just relaxing until then. You would think Latte would be used to this by now. He used to be so much easier to give meds too...and he had them more than once.

Oh well...

Oh no, I'm sorry that all your babies need treatment all at once (real bummer), but good job on getting it caught early. Hopefully they will stop attacking their mommy and realise that she is trying to help them, not poison them ;)

Jan

Bunnicula wrote:
So how's it going? And how's your eye?

~Mary Ellen
Thanks for asking. Well, Hazel is not trying to bite me anymore. Latte was a little easier today but he really still hates it. But he won't take it willingly, so what am I to do? My eye is ok. He knicked under the other eye last night so I have a nice red blotch under there. But, not a lot of bleeding so that's good. It's just red.

I'm going to take some photos and videos later of them so be sure to check out the blog for an update soon...if they don't kill me first! ;)

I can get the liquid baytril down my rabbits but it is compounded and flavored by a special pharmacist.
I'm wondering ifyour vet isn't able to flavor the baytril well enough to get rid of the bitterness. It is supposed to be just terrible tasting.

I cannot get my rabbits to take tablets but some people can get baytril tabs down their rabbits in pieces of banana.

Just a thought because it seems like its a shame that you have to go through all of this if something elsecould be more helpful.
maybe you could see if there is a compounding pharmacist in your city..it would cost more though....

Latest posts

Back