Don't know if she is pregnant or what?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, that makes sense. A vet actually thought my spayed dog had a false pregnancy because she was lactating, so it must be possible (and actually it was just because the kittens kept suckling from her!)

I'll let everyone know if she has babies anyway :D

What are you feeding her on? I wonder could the weight gain simply be diet related?
Sabine (IrishRabbits):wave:

Hi Sabine :)

I have to admit I am feeding them unlimited rabbit food pellets, hay and some veggies or apple everyday. I never really weigh out the food, because it was never a problem before, but she has a ceramic rabbit bowl (11cm diameter according to zooplus) and I just fill it up. They're not having too much veggies really, I give them about a quarter of an apple each, or a carrot, or some veggie peelings if I'm cooking (shared with the guinea pigs).

At first when I had her, for the first week, she was eating way way more than Leon. Now her appetite seems to be going down a bit, she still eats more than him but she is bigger. She really loves fresh veggies, maybe she didn't get them in her old home and is excited because of new foods? If she gets fat then I'll have to cut back on her food.

It was never a problem with my old rabbit, but then again she lived with two guinea pigs who always stole her food! They're so much greedier than rabbits. :)

I think she's building a nest! She has moved all the hay around the sleeping area (never moved it before), and I saw her stuffing her mouth with wood shavings and taking them into the sleeping area. She hasn't pulled fur though.

I think either she's gonna have babies, or she's a crazy rabbit who really wants babies!

I just put in a pile of hay in the run and she's now trying to pick all the hay up at once and drag it upstairs to the hutch. Normally she would just eat it!

She has so much hay in there now and keeps putting more in, she won't be able to fit! She's really going mad with the hay and won't even have her breakfast, not even a carrot!

If she is pregnant, then she should have the babies soon right? I heard they nest a day or two before giving birth? I've had her a full two weeks now, so it's been at least that long since she's mated (if she has).

If she isn't eating, she might kindle in the next few hours. Most of my mothers build a nest anywhere from 24 hours to 20 minutes before they deliver! (And then there are the does that don't build a nest until AFTER they deliver! Silly twits! Not gonna waste all that energy and fur until I'm sure they are here!)

Keep us informed! Let us know!!!

Could it still be a false pregnancy? Do false pregnancies last for 31 days, or for less?

Sorry for posting so much, I'm just excited! And there's nobody else home for me to tell!

Most false pregnancies only last 14-16 days. She could build a nest, and actually tend the "empty nest" for a day or so... then she'll give it up. Keep an eye on her, have patience, and let her do whatever she has to do....

There's a chance she was let out with bucks before I got her.

I heard that when they give birth, they want to get far away from the babies? If she was in a hutch with the babies, but another part of the hutch, would that stress her out?

She has a run too, but was wondering if it would be bad to shut her into the hutch. I don't want her to have the babies in the run, but she seems to know what she's doing.

Keep an eye in her, don't interfer or change anything unless you have to. Confining her to the hutch might confuse her right now. If you see her pulling fur in the run area and building a nest, move evrything to the Hutch and watch that she doesn't put the babies "outside". YES, you can touch and handle the babies... she will not abandon them if you tough them... (Old wives tale!)

She was pulling fur in the run, but brought some upstairs into the hutch. Then she went downstairs and pulled more and just sat there with it in her mouth, and has been eating a bit and grooming herself, and just sitting around mostly.

Thanks for the info. :)

It still could be a false pregnancy but better be prepared as either is likely. She seems to be building the nest in the safe spot of the hutch it seems. Once the babies are there (if there are any) you can always close up the upstairs to prevent them from toppling down into the run.

Not sure how your cage is set up, but you might want to put a 3" high "lip" at the base of the dooway to prevent any babies from crawling out. They will move around, you just don't want them crawling out into the run area.

Back