Dogs and Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyLove360

Reaction score
I have two dogs and will be getting rabbits soon, my dogs live outdoors and the rabbits will be indoors so they will rarely see each other.

One of my dogs grew up with rabbits around but it has been years since i last had rabbits and i'm afraid that she wont see them as family. My other dog has never seen a rabbit before but seems to be okay with my other small pets.

Q; Should i make an area away from the dogs when they are outdoors or try and see if the dogs are okay with the rabbits while keeping them (the rabbits) in a cage?

Not quite sure I'm following your question. Are you asking about what to do when you take your indoor rabbits outside (where your dogs are)?

your basic instinct is correct,is you want to keep your sanity--even supervised is not a good idea..,-if {outside}-myxi is a potential killer,it is not rabbit friendly..sincerely james waller-across the pond-kent,wa.usa-98032-for joseph r cottontail-rip

I would agree to keep them separate when you bring your rabbits outside. The rabbits will basically be entering the dogs' territory when they go outside, so best to keep them separated. For the dogs to see the rabbits as part of the family, that would normally be done if/when the dogs go inside. Indoors would be the rabbits' domain and the dogs are more likely to see them as part of the family pack when they (dogs) go indoors.

Our dogs spend most of their time indoors which is where our rabbit is kept. They all get along fine. But they are together on a daily basis. It doesn't sound like they would be interacting on a daily basis with your arrangement.

When you bring your rabbit outside put your dogs where they can't see or reach the rabbit. My dog is lose outside and whenever I let my rabbit outside the dog will bark at him. We put the dog up on a chain so that she cannot get to Theo (the rabbit) and when she barks at Theo we put a bark collar on her (a collar so that when she barks it will shock her). The dog has gotten into the shed multiple times and scared him, but he always recovers.
btw- we hate putting the dog on the chain and absolutely hate the bark collar! (that is for you dog lovers)

Latest posts

Back