Dog(s) in my Rabbitry Overnight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGiants

Reaction score
When I went out to the rabbits this morning (8 am),the doors of the barn were open wide. I freaked out because I knew I closed them tight last night. When I got in the barn, everything was a mess. Feederson the ground, water lines for the watering system pulled off, everything under the cages scattered and all my show equipment knocked over. Something even PULLED trays out from under the cages!

But I am SO thankful no rabbits were injured or killed. (I'm still shaking now!) My poor rabbits! I checked all their feet, no one was bitten through the cages. (They all had something to stand on to get off the wire.) Most of the water systems were drained, they had no water (I'm guessing a few hours).

I found footprints on some show reports that were laying on the ground, I'm sure it was a dog or two. I'm so upset that my dogs or I didn't hear anything or see anything. I have motion sensor lights all around the barn... (I'd like to thank the guy that built my cages so strong! The dog obviously tried to pull some doors open and they held! I have to call him this morning!) I'm guessing the dog was just looking for mischief and wasn't intent on killing anything, or couldn't get at them.

I just got everything cleaned back up, water restored, everyone got their morning hay and hugs. The Flemish look fine for the most part, but some of the Mini Rex needed holding and comforting. Thank God no one was kindling last night!! I have 4 litters due this evening... (My heart is pounding! As soon as I can calm down, I'm off to the Hardware store for some BIG locks and Bolts!) I hate people that let their dogs run loose!

I'm so glad to hear the rabbits faired well. I was pretty scared to even read the post. It really sounds like you have a good setup which is very fortunant in this case. Hopefully it'll be a one time ordeal but taking your extra safety precautions definantly wont hurt.

Holy Mother that must have been scarey for you. I would have been going nuts. Thank goodness none of your Bunnies were hurt or even worse.

I'd be phoning the guy who built the cages too thanking him with all my heart.

Susan:apollo:

Oh thank God they're ok. We have a neighbor - well really 2 of them (they have a trailer home on the farm) and they have several dogs they let run all the time. One is a little italian greyhound and he's the most obnoxious pain in the butt! He's always in my trash or something!

SO, what kinda litters are due tonight? Flemmies, mini's?

I spoke too soon! I just lost our little MRblack boy, Clyde! OMG... I can't stop crying. He just siezured in my arms and died. I think he had a broken back. When I went out this morning, he was at the front of the cage and I reached in and he put up his head and I gave hima cheek rub, he seemed ok. So I went to the others that seemed more upset. I just went back out to check ont hem and he didn't seem right, so I took him out and he had no bladder control... and I saw he couldn't move his back legs. Then he siezured and was gone......

He was my daughters first Grand Champion and our foundattion buck, our little stud muffin. He was 7 years old and still so handsome and sweet. Poor baby!

So sorry to hear about the dog attack and Clyde!

It's one of my big fears because even with fencing and locks it can happen.

Hopefully the two bucks I am bringing you and Kim can fill the void a little.

Theya re very sweet.

Roger

BlueGiants wrote:
I spoke too soon! I just lost our little MRblack boy, Clyde! OMG... I can't stop crying. He just siezured in my arms and died. I think he had a broken back. When I went out this morning, he was at the front of the cage and I reached in and he put up his head and I gave hima cheek rub, he seemed ok. So I went to the others that seemed more upset. I just went back out to check ont hem and he didn't seem right, so I took him out and he had no bladder control... and I saw he couldn't move his back legs. Then he siezured and was gone......

He was my daughters first Grand Champion and our foundattion buck, our little stud muffin. He was 7 years old and still so handsome and sweet. Poor baby!
I'm so sorry. I really hope the rest of your day goes better and your others make it through the stress they were involved in overnight.

I am so sorry to hear about this. It is an awful thing when people let dogs run loose at night or anytime for that matter. We have had our rabbitry attacked twice this summer, the first time my dog was very upset about something in the back yard, the second time we heard nothing and found it all the next morning. We lost a lot and had some who seemed fine who died a few days later. We have done alot to protect our rabbits since then, to be honest we didn't have alot of protection in the begginging because we had rabbits before and never had problems with dog, we had never heard of it happening and we have dogs and they would never do that. We now have double fence around the rabbitry with the chainlink buried partly in the ground and we use locks, I believe the dogs could open the latches without the locks. I know you said you had lights, we thought about doing that. We had another breeder tell us to leave a radio playing all night and the dogs would think that someone was in the rabbitry when they heard voices. They have not come back a third time and pray they will not. I also pray that this will not happen to anyone else and try to share my story often to inform others of the unknown dangers.

I hate to hear about you little buck but am glad to hear it was not worse. I hope you never have this problem again. My thoughts are with you.

BlueGiants wrote:

I'm so sorry :(

I wonder if he freaked out and injured himself? That just scares me so much about Tony going outside. I can't imagine how sad you are. I'm sad too for you. :Hug:

Sorry to hear about Clyde. Do you know what dog did it? Hopefully you will see it roaming around and can call animal control to come and pick it up.

Sharon

OMG! That's awful! And poor little Clyde.:sad:

I forget- are you in town or in the country? Can neighbors see your house from theirs? Maybe somebody noticed a dog running loose and could give you some info.

:hug:

Oh no - I'm so sorry for your loss. That is so hard when you lose them like that.

I hope you can get the barn fixed well today - and good luck on the kindlings tonight.

Peg

I'm sorry.

In our local news last night, a farmer shot tworoaming dogs.
The dog owners were complaining that thetwo golden retriever had got loose and the familywere out looking for them. The farmer had every right to shoot the dogs that were at large, but the family disagrees.

Oh wow I am so sorry :(I'm really sorry to hear about Clyde. :(I'm glad the others are okay though. They must have been so scared. Shows how important housing is. Imagine if they had had nothing to protect their feet? :?I hope it'll be a lesson to all to provide shelter as good as you have.

Yeah I heard about the 2 Goldens. :?

Pet_Bunny wrote:
I'm sorry.

In our local news last night, a farmer shot tworoaming dogs.
The dog owners were complaining that thetwo golden retriever had got loose and the familywere out looking for them. The farmer had every right to shoot the dogs that were at large, but the family disagrees.
I'm so sorry, Blue Giants, about your Clyde, and thank heaven ti wasn't worse. Are you sure it was dogs? Could it have been coyotes? The tracks would look the same.

About the quote-I totally agree that dog owners should not let their dogs roam, but I do disagree with people shooting them on sight. Even the most responsible owners can sometimes slip and leave a gate open or something, and that doens't mean that the dogs are always going to hunt down and kill someone else's pet, just because they got loose. A friend of mine, who is a very responsible owner, had two of her dogs get loose years ago. She was terribly heartbroken, and has only stopped looking for them now because they would have died of old age by this time.

Yeah, we're pretty sure it was dogs. There were tracks and we don't have coyotes ... yet...

I'm up to 3 dead. Two more (a 4 month old Flemish doe and another Mini Rex.) died of what I can only guess is stress and shock. We'll see what happens tonight. The doors have been re-enforced and new deadbolts and latches installed.

This has all been so upsetting. I pray that no one else will die tonight, and my girls will kindle OK. :pray:

Latest posts

Back