Does anyone keep there rabbits in pens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

love4bunnies

Reaction score
I was thinking of making pens for my rabbits on the floor of my rabbitry as i can`t find any second hand cages and can`t afford to buy the bottom wire here as it is very expensive.

Please let me know what you think of this idea.:ponder:

I have cushion floor over top of plywood and i would keep lots of wood shavings in the pens and clean them out every second day.

I am concerned about drafts. Is there any way you can put wood down as the floor of the cage instead of trying to find wire. Almost like a shelf with rabbits cages built into it. Sorry, if you can't picture it, sometimes my imagination runs wild. But definitely I would somehow build cages off the floor.

Sharon

Hi,

Yes i could do that for sure.I wonder if i just put my cages up off the floor about 6 to 8 inches maybe on a wooden platform?

My barn is all insulated and pretty tight.

I use the cube things(LOL) for cages.

Thanks for the idea.:D

I have Butter in a pen :p He's inside, though.
But...I think to save a lot of washing and trouble, you probably shouldn't use a cushion for the bottom. I had a large dog bed on only -part- of Butter's pen and I had to constantly clean and wash it, and it would smell very bad. (And he'd chew and dig at it)

I had the most success with a thick plastic sheet (I got mine at JoAnne's. It was in the upholstry section, and was the thickest of the four or so rolls) He can't dig it, and it goes outside his cage about a half a foot, so he doesn't chew it, either. It is also a DREAM to clean. Not even ceacals stick to it. :biggrin2:

Hope that helps~

~Diana and Butter

Sure :biggrin2: I'll try to get a current, clear picture of Butter's setup.

Okay, took some just now. Hope this helps!

ButterPen1.jpg

ButterPen2.jpg

ButterPen3.jpg

ButterPen4.jpg

And here's a picture of the plastic I use. Not sure if that will help, but...eh :p

ButterPen5Plastic.jpg

~Diana and Butter

Oh, I forgot to add....
There's a panel missing in the front of the pen. This is because I wanted an easy entrance.
I'm sure any rabbit could jump over one grid, but Butter is NOT a jumper and hasn't even tried it, even though he stands up and leans over it when I come to him with food :p He's so silly.

If you make a pen, be sure to make it high enough all over (Not like mine)

Wow what a nice pen.

Lots of room too.Wish in away i only had one housebunny but i have 6 barn bunnies with 6 -5 week old babies.

I make my cages from wood and them crate things like you have.

That is a great idea the plastic underneath.

If you would like to check my rabbitry website the link is

http://windynookrabbitry.piczo.com

Thanks very much again.

Yours are lookin' pretty good too :biggrin2: The wood gives it a nice, stable touch.

....Noooot to be picky-nosey about what you give your rabbits, but I saw that you mentioned you gave them a piece of carrot every morning? Carrot pieces shouldn't really be fed that often because of the sugar content ;) Sorry to bug you about that.

Hi

No problem,

I read that so stopped doing that.Now they only get a piece for a treat.

It is funny but my friend gives her bunnies a whole carrot all the time and her bunnies are healthy.:disgust:

But i thank you for letting me know.

Thanks again.

You have a very nice rabbitry...I am hoping to have one simmilar to yours when me and Hubby move out of my Mother-In-Laws house. I want atleast 30ftx12ft with a sink and dish washer in it ;)with lanoleum floors and latice walls........

am I asking for to much LOL Hubby ios sure going to be busy LOL

Very nice play area.

But I have to question it's placement. There are two exposed wires inside that setup.. It is just my opinion but that is a disaster waiting to happen. I know from experience of having to replace phone cords every other month.

Are you wanting them to live on the floor or just have exercise time on the floor? If it's just for exercise is it possible to just let them run how you have it set up now? Maybe put one wire 'wall' across it so you can let two buns out at one time. Exercise runs don't need to be super fancy- I am sure the rabbits will appreciate the space no matter what. :)

Butterfinger wrote:

I do not want to start anything here. I am an old member and not a regular poster anymore. But when I see an obvious problem that is being ignored it scares me. It scares me to think of the potential danger here! All it takes is one nip of those wires.. even if the rabbits have never touched it before doesn't mean it won't happen.. Curiousity killed the cat.. in this situation Curiousity will kill the rabbit!

One few things can happen here as a result of this..

1. A fire from the sparks on the plastic and/or carpet.

2. The rabbit(s) get burned.

3. The rabbit(s) die of electric shock.

Please rectify this oversight before disaster strikes!

I sometimes keep mine in pens in my rabbitry while I rearrange cages or if I have run out of cage space they live in them until I get more cages. I do have a few does that get along together so sometimes they will be together. I think it is a great idea for them to live in a pen, it gives them more space to exercise.

Latest posts

Back