Doe is nesting, but isnt due for 2 weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loppalove

Reaction score
I bought a breeding pair from a rabbitry in washington state, and bred them about 2 weeks ago. Making her about 14 days along (if it took).

-Today she is digging, digging, digging and more digging. I put a nesting box in her enclosure, and she is spending a ton of time in it, rooting around and cleaning herself. She is transferring the nesting materials into her litterbox as i type this.

-She has eaten today.

-She has drank (more than normal) today.

-She is not hair pulling.

-I *think*...i know this will sound crazy...i think i saw movement in her belly. I gently felt around with my hand, and think i felt movement...im 99% sure i felt movement, i just dont know if it was babies or gas or what.

-She keeps kind of "throwing" herself down on her side and rolling over on her back.

I did call the breeder i bought her from and said "is there a chance she was pregnant when i bought her"...and to my disdain she said "yes". She was at the fair, and could not tell me for sure, because her book that she keeps breedings written down in was at home..so she is supposed to call me back tonight.

I am so confused! whats happening!?

Either she is pregnant and due or she is having a phantom pregnancy. When they do this they have all the signs of pregnancy pretty much some build but dont pull and some go all the way and pull as well.

If the breeder gets back to you and tells you she isnt bred then its very likely a phantom. Best thing is to remate straight away :)

well as of right now, she is just spread all the way out, sleeping. Nothing to report.

She has to be pregnant, i just dont know when she was bred, a month ago or 2 weeks ago...i am soooo annoyed that the breeder didnt tell me this was a possibility!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:X(that she was potentiallypregnant upon delivery to me)

Patience... patience... patience. Nothing to be done now but wait and see what she does. As long as you gave her the nestbox, and she is content... wait and see... :biggrin2:

Well then it could be a false pregnancy. But just in case the breeder is wrong (it happens, dates get mixed up, written wrong, etc....) leave the box with her for a few days, just in case.

BlueGiants wrote:
Well then it could be a false pregnancy. But just in case the breeder is wrong (it happens, dates get mixed up, written wrong, etc....) leave the box with her for a few days, just in case.

I felt her belly again...it feels like, if you roll your tounge around the inside of your cheek, very slowly, and then feel that with your finger on the outside of your cheek, and whatever it is...it is like big round blobs. I am pretty sure she has a belly full of babies.

i am even dreaming about them, last night i slept on the sofa (he enclosure is behind the sofa), and she was digging again about 4am. But this morning, she is just her hungry bitchy self. Digging a little in her nest box, but mostly just nibbling the hay inside of it.

She is still laying on her side constantly. or on her back even.

Thank you so so much for your words and wisdom, it is greatly appreciated!

They have a way of messing with us... LOL! Expecting does do tend to lay more on their sides with their belly out to one side. But I've been fooled before!

Since she is a new doe, give her time. At least as long as she is exhibiting this behavior. Better safe than sorry.

:mail2: Special delivery!:pray: We are here for you... (Now get off the couch and get some sleep! She will be fine! LOL!)

Blue Giants,

Can the very very active movement in her belly, be anything else beside babies? could it just be gas bubbles?

It is so active i can see it without actually touching her. Andtoday for the first time, rather than a "rolling" feeling, the movementalso had tinsy tiny little kicking feels to it as well. It got more active this afternoon,while she laid on her sidesleeping.

Logan (aka the nutcase who cant stop obsessing over this.)

She really could be pregnant... But if not, some times you can see the rhythmic movements of the intestines, gas bubbles, cecal pellets, etc.. Yes, it can look like babies moving.

You're not a nut case, LOL! I perfectly understand your concern. But really, there isn't much you can do for her right now. This is something she has to do on her own.

You need to relax a bit. If she senses your apprehension or interprets it as fear, she could become fearful herself. That would not be good for the babies.

I totally understand how you are feeling, I remember when I thought that Princess was pregnant, she was showing all the signs, she nested on day 28 and I was so stressed, by day 32 I was on here worrying, and Bluegiants helped me relax. It turnt out to be a phantom pregnancy.

You are in the best place to get great advice.

I hope it all goes well and Good Luck, and make sure you share pics if she does have some babies.

:toast: I'll drink to that!:toast: LOL!

Check on her in the morning. Most does will only kindle when they think no one is around... Some don't mind an "audience"... but unless you know your doe real well, it's best to just leave her to her instincts.

Sleep in your OWN bed tonight! LOL!
:waiting: Impatient much?

:hug2: How is she doing this morning????

Patience escapes many of us. I for one am not much for patience. For some odd reason with my horses, my rabbits(grooming and whatnots) i can be patient. When I'm waiting for a doe to kindle. I'm overly anxious and I can't seem to settle down, so I'll force myself to go clean my saddles or bath the two horses or bathe my dog, something to keep me away from the rabbit barn.

Latest posts

Back