Do you let the rabbits outdoors & under what circumstances?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffybuns

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I'm just curious about some of your outdoor rabbit routines if you have them or why not if you choose not have them? My Melvin the Mini Rex and I just celebrated our 1 year anniversary since the day I found him abandoned when he was less than 1 year old. I've only ever taken him outside during warm, sunny days and only in my arms or enclosed in a pen under my direct supervision and I stay within arms reach the entire time. Reason being: I'm terrified a predator will come grab him since we live in Oregon and there's tons of predatory birds, coyotes and raccoons around here. Plus, the last time I had a rabbit was when I was a little kid and he got picked up by a hawk when I was playing with him in the back yard. (It's been over 15 years and I still cry a little when I think of him). Anyways, I really want Melvin to be happy and get fresh air but I'd like to learn a little more about what sort of methods other rabbit lovers use to give their buns outdoor time. Feel free to get as descriptive as your heart desires. Cheers!

Hey there!

I've had a few rabbits in my life and they've always been outside.

The first had a hutch and we put her in there at night, then give her free run of the garden - which was huge - all day, only when we were out there though. She would also come inside a lot too. I was very young - about 10 - when my parents got her so I don't really remember too much, except she did escape once and we lost her for a night which was terrifying and so upsetting. But she loved the garden, the neighbours dog would come over to investigate - unknown to us - but I did catch her chasing him out the garden once. However, I wouldn't keep a rabbit like this now.

My second rabbit again had a hutch in a shed and he stayed in there at night, he had free run of the garden as well, this one much smaller, and only when we were in the house, whenever we left the house we put him in a large wire run with a wire lid so nothing could get in.

The rabbit I currently have actually sleeps on my terrace - I live in an apartment with a small terrace. She basically owns the terrace, it's safe and completely walled in. She also has a big bunny house out there that she loves (http://www.auntyanimal.me.uk/BunnyHutch.jpg), a parasol for when it gets hot, and an area she has chosen as her bathroom, our door opens out to the terrace so we leave this open during the day, when we are in or out and she has free roaming of the apartment living area and her terrace. At night we shut the door and she stays outside.

I don't really remember any specific things we did the introduce them to the outside. I think with the current rabbit we just opened the door and she was out enjoying the smells and sounds. I do think it's important for them to have somewhere sheltered where they can hide from hot or wet weather and anything that may startle them.

I would get a rabbit hutch with run, place it outside then introduce your bunny to it, stay outside whilst he/she gets acquainted and once they start relaxing and playing you can leave them, come out regularly and check on them, especially if you're worried about predators. But the run and house should protect them from any dangers should something creep into your garden. Something like this: http://www.bunnybasics.net/images/jasmine-hutch.jpg

When you're out I'd probably leave bun inside and not in the run - especially if weather is unpredictable and you'll be out for a while. This is why we leave our apartment door open so ours can come in and cool off when she wants.

Mine is a very confident, brave and inquisitive bunny so she will explore everything and poke her nose anywhere, I feel this is because she feels safe in her environment. So just keep an eye out for any tell tale signs of stress and you should be fine.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Oh wow, those are some really nice hutches! That's a great idea. I think I'll have to save up for a fancy summer home for Melvin. A terrace would be ideal but our new house does not have one. Him staying alone outside is completely out of the question, even in a hutch. We have a lot of raccoons and coyotes and they've already managed to break into my chicken coup and kill some of our hens this summer. The new home has a privacy fence but even that won't stop raccoons from getting in the yard.

Mine are completely indoor rabbits. It is very, very rare that they ever go outside. I think I've had them outside maybe 4 or 5 different times over the past (almost) 3 years. Like you, I use an x-pen under supervision (as in photo).

For us, it is the heat that keeps our rabbit indoors. From May through September, our temperatures are from 90F and peaking up to 120F. It is pleasant enough outside right now, but they seem content to be free range in the house. Their cage door is open all day long (even if we're away from the house).

100_8255.jpg

100_8258.jpg

When it's not too hot or not too cold, Barry goes outside...as often as I'm available to supervise him. I have an upside down, chicken wire enclosed trampoline frame for him to run and binky in. Yesterday we actually had temps that were almost 60 so he was able to go outside for the first time in almost two months. Fresh, clean air is really good for a bun that's been cooped in the house. It was a run, binky, dig dig fest for him yesterday.

I think you are wise to watch your rabbit very carefully when he is outside. Also, a Rex rabbit would not do well in cold temperatures outside since their fur is short.

I use two exercise pens hooked together to let my bunnies run around in the grass. I also put a net over the top to protect them from hawks. Someday I want my husband to build a proper run for them with a top on it, but for now what I have works okay.

These are all great ideas. I really like the idea of a covered pen until I can get a fancy run. It's been really cold and rainy here for a while. I'm considering going shopping today for some Happy Lights to help Melvin out until it gets warmer and drier out.

I'm very happy to read you guys being safe with your out door buns!:goodjob I haven't taken Pipkin outside because we have many wild animals pass through and i worry the smell would frighten him, or worse, one would come by and take him! He's a very skittish rabbit when frightened, and I'm a very nervous owner haha! Our grass is also fertilized and the other chemicals would probably be no good for him to digest :disgust: Basically I just worry too much to bring him out because he's a great escape artist :pullhair:

Rabbits are master escape artists alright. One of the only cons of living with a rabbit is that EVERYTHING EATS THEM! Taking them outdoors requires constant supervision if you don't want them to become someone's snack. Them being naturally curious and explorative doesn't help us keep them safe either.

Jez is an indoor bunny. I will take him out on the porch with me for a half hour on those 4 or 5 perfect days in Washington DC that aren't too hot or too cold. The porch is fairly small and he's a scaredy bun so he gingerly explores but not too far. He's used to air conditioning and heat. And he's safe. I envy those of you with nice caged areas outside where a bun can relax, dig a bit etc. I guess it's just whatever works for you and him.

I don't take Breezy for outdoor trips too often, perhaps once every two weeks or so for a couple hours. I just move her x-pen outside, have a seat, and read a book for a while so she can enjoy the sunshine.

I live in an area with a lot of wild animals, so the potential disease and illness scare me. We keep to the front lawn which wildlife almost never crosses.

28hj2qg.jpg
nya48z.jpg

Back