Do rabbits have certain POWERS???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katherine at sacred stories

Reaction score
My heart rabbit, Scout, amazed me with her acute hearing, sight, responsivenessand sensitivity to everything around her. Over the years we were together, her ability to tune in to my moods, body language, facial expressions was astonishing. My new bunnies, Harvey and Halo, are showing some of the same amazing powers:)

There were times when I would think, for example, "I'm going to open the bunny room so Scout can run." Before I made a move, Scout would run to the door and wait. Or, for example, I would think "I'm going to get down on the floor and snuggle with Scout." Before I made a move she would run and hop in my lap. Or I would just look at her and think how beautiful she was and she would seem to smile at me with her eyes and jump up and run to me.

And then there was the time that she seemed to be getting her favorite cherry tomato treats for herself even though they were kept in a bowl on the top of the refrigerator. I was mystified until I walked into the kitchen one day and saw my cat, Gracie, batting tomatos down to an eagerly awaiting Scout. Coincidence, maybe;)

Butthen there's that hypnotic gaze that is very hard to resist. When they're sitting by the food bowl and you can almost hear them saying "You will get me a treat, you will get me a treat, you will get me a treat." They seem to have special techniques to get us to do what they want;)

Anyone else experienced mysterious bunny powers?

I don't know if this is considered a "power" but I'm amazed at how they de-stress me. It's like instant calmness when I'm around them :) I especially love the moments late at night, it's quiet, ,my hubby and son are in bed, and I get some bunny snuggles in before putting them in for the night.....and anyway, just their way about them, the tooth purring, their noses slowing as they soak up the head rubs, the feel of a nose bonk if I stop said head rubs ;) Agnes pausing to groom me back (Archie refuses to groom me lol) it's just so calming.

And then of course they crack me up everyday. And laughing is the best medicine they say. I don't know how a binky or a head shake dance or a rabbit tossing toys around (Archie does this fantastically) doesn't make someone laugh. They are hysterical creatures!

So not really a power but they are good for the soul. I know dogs and cats and all animals are, really, but i feel a special sense when it comes to my buns :)

Lisa--I absolutely would call the way they calm us and lift our spirits a powerful power;) I didn't think of that when I writing but I relate to what you said completely. It's true of all animals but I find there's definitely something more intense with bunnies.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
I don't know if it's a "power" or not, but bunnies are excellent at training humans. I also heard they make great stew, but my lazy rabbits won't cook anything for me!

Hahaha, laughing at this whole post.

#1) my rabbits won't make stew for me either

#2) I chuckle to myself several times a day at how this tiny 3 lb animal "commands" me to do certain things.

Yup, that's power :)

The de-stressing factor is HUGE for me. I commute 45 minutes (minimum) to and from work five days a week in northern VA traffic. By the time I get home, I'm fried. The first thing I do, nearly every day, is climb into a bunny pen and pet those buns. It just makes everything...better.

I do notice how they seem to know what's happening before we do it. They seem to know when treats are coming, even if I don't make noise with the bags. They also seem to know when I'm going to let them out into the living room--they jump around and start chewing the bars very emphatically!

The de-stressing is very real for me, too. There is something about watching them and snuggling with them that relaxes me. Tuning in to their behavior, their body language, the expression in their eyes, the joy of their play, lifts my spirits like nothing else.

I think it may also have something to do with the "quality" of their attention, if that makes any sense;) They CONCENTRATE on us. Watch us with such FOCUS.

Glad to hear you're noticed how they seem to know what you're going to do before you give any cues, too. It amazes me how closely they study us and how well they come to know us:)

:brownbunny:heartbeat::brownbunny

I totally agree! They know how to push our buttons to get what they want. I was gone over the weekend and there were a couple points where I thought of them and they wondered where all their attention was. It was too quiet in the house for them. I came home and everybunny was very happy to see me. Even Gary sat quietly on my lap to be stroked for 15 minutes. Normally he's my high energy clown who would rather get one stroke then run off to throw something so I will laugh then come back for a nother stroke. I know it is silly, but I could just feel them through the distance. :baghead

In the last week or so I've noticed that Foo and I are really on the same page with things.
I read something about bunny language and it said to try to repeat some of the behaviors that buns show to you. Like cleaning themselves in front of you to show comfort, circling to say I like you.
So I did that. I circled her a few times to say that I liked her and I would "clean my face" in front of her to say that I was comfy and she would go nuts! Since I've talked bunny talk with her, she knows that I really like her!
So now, when I come into the kitchen and walk to the sink where is where I usually sit when I go in to sit with her, she will almost climb up my leg to get into my lap as my sitting down.

Since we're speaking the same language now, she seems to be closer to me and she will sit with me and let me pet her for an hour now, when she used to only let me pet her for a few minutes; then she would scamper off.

She is also my stress reliever. At night when my husband and my son are in bed, I will go into the kitchen and sit with her and unwind from my dad. Its really great. I really think she knows when I come in to clean the kitchen, because she will continue to play with her toys or lay in the floor. She knows when I come in to sit with her too, because she comes to me and sits with me.

I have cats and dogs, but they are so much different than a rabbit! They constantly watch us to see what we're doing, I love it. I also really love to watch her doing her own thing.

The circling was a big hit! I shuffled around her like 2 or 3 times and she was like, "OH HEY! I like you too!" Now she is on my heels the whole time I'm in the kitchen. Now whenever she cleans her face, I'll clean mine too. She'll come over and lay next to me. Its so funny, I didn't think she would be able to understand but she does! Let us know how it works with your buns!
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/
This is where I found out how they communicate.

I have tried the nose wiggling and they give me a look like "what the heck are you thinking?"

They do like the cleaning one, I havn't tried the circling, going to have to give it a try.

I have this vision of RO members across the country circling, nose wiggling and cleaning their faces. Hopefully none of us get committed :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Morgan--I just tried the face washing and I did get a pretty amazing response!

It's the time of day when they've just gotten up from their afternoon sleep and they foraging in their hay boxes waiting for dinner. They were very busy doing their own thing.

I sat on the floor and started to wash my face like they do (including the ears:) They both stopped eating and stared at me, wide-eyed. Then they hopped out of their hay boxes and came and sat right in front of me and watched me, fascinated. They definitely saw this as an EVENT. hehehe.

Then Harvey flopped down close to one leg and Halo flattened herself out against my other leg for pets. They each wanted pets for a long time. Then Halo got up and started to groom Harvey and me together. Oh my:)

Thank you for sharing that. Great idea!

agnesthelion wrote:
I have this vision of RO members across the country circling, nose wiggling and cleaning their faces. Hopefully none of us get committed :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Oh I should have mentioned that you shouldn't do these things while other people are around! Because you DO look like a nutter.

Katherine, I'm so glad they responded to it!

:hyper:

Lisa, hehehehe. I think the men in the white coats are circling ME right now. They've been watching me since they noticed I go out every morning with a basket and pick grass, clover and dandelion leaves. (One of my neighbors once stopped and said "What are you picking? Are you trying to cut your grass by hand?") This face washing thing should give them all the evidence they need;)

It's been proven that animals in general reduce stress and pain levels and also lower blood pressure and pulse rate. People who live with animals have fewer health problems than those who dont. Sam is a therapy dog and I've seen him reduce all those levels on a patient after a 10 minute visit. Of course he works opposite on me but hey! My old cat who I've have longer than the husband can sense my moods. When I have a hard time sleeping he comes up and purrs in my ear which is like white noise. It doesn't matter how much caffeine I've had or how stressed I am he can put me to sleep in 3 minutes flat. If I'm grumpy he sits in my lap if I'm just fine he wont even look at me when I walk through the door. Shya for as bad as she is will groom me when I need it most. Of course it's an extra special privilege coming from her...

They have the power to turn men into bunny lovers, with their own "bunny voices" that they speak to bunnies with. It's been brought up in at least one other thread, and I see it happening to my boyfriend :p

Latest posts

Back