Do I Get Another Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukigirl

Reaction score
So...I need some unbiased advice.

Two weeks ago, I lost one of my rabbits, Squirtle. He was 4 years old and contracted E. cuniculi. He was at the vet for almost a week. The first day he was barely hanging on, then for two days he wasn't improving physically but he was eating well being syringe fed and pooping fine. Then all of the sudden he started crashing and getting worse and I had to make the hard choice to let him go.

I have a second rabbit, Charmander, who was his companion. She seems fine physically, though I'm watching her like a hawk for any signs of illness, but I'm conflicted on whether to get her a new friend down the road. She and Squirtle were inseparable, and unlike Squirtle who absolutely loved human attention, Charmander merely tolerates it, even after having her for three years. She has zero interest in people.

She is only four years old. My concern is since she doesn't want attention from people, I'm afraid she will be lonely and bored. Personally though, I think after she passes, I don't want rabbits for quite some time. I've had bad luck with rabbits and my heart is feeling weary. My first rabbit died of cancer, my second rabbit I only had two weeks before she died suddenly in the middle of the night and now Squirtle's sudden death. But on the other hand, I want what is best for Charmander and her well being. She seems pretty content right now however. She's eating fine, she takes her treats with gusto like always and she still plays with her toys and shreds up cardboard boxes like no tomorrow, so her behavior has not changed with him gone.

My friends love animals so they say I should totally get another one, my family doesn't approve that I have 12 pets to begin with lol so they automatically tell me not to get another rabbit.

I have no idea what to do. :confused::confused:

I'd suggest giving it some time before deciding. My most recent pair sounded much like yours. One was more outgoing, the other very stand-off-ish. After the friendlier one passed away, I found myself in a similar situation as you are now.

I too thought of getting another, maybe older bun, but a series of family events & trips prevented that. But after a number of months, we noticed a gradual change in Mocha. He started coming out of his shell & began interacting more with us. He now begs for treats and requests grooming (both from us and from the dogs!).

I don't know if this is what your rabbit will do, but one never knows. So maybe give it some time and see how she does.

In fairness, I should also say that with another pair I had, it was the shy one that passed and the outgoing one that survived. She become quite destructive as a single bun and I realized she was one of those more rare rabbits that really needed a bondmate. She settled down and became better behaved after she was bonded to another rabbit.

So no telling what may happen. That's why I suggest a 'wait & see' approach.

I've been thinking the same to just wait and see, and that if she continues to do well on her own, then leave her as is. I guess I got a little stressed recently about her mental health. I work at a zoo, and one of my coworkers kind of shamed me when I mentioned not possibly getting another rabbit and letting Charmander live on her own. This person has never even owned rabbits before :rolleyes: but I guess I felt a little guilty after that exchange and started questioning myself.

one of my coworkers kind of shamed me when I mentioned not possibly getting another rabbit and letting Charmander live on her own. This person has never even owned rabbits before :rolleyes: but I guess I felt a little guilty after that exchange and started questioning myself.

I think indoor rabbits (most) can do just fine as single rabbits - with plenty of time outside the cage. There are so many more opportunities to interact with or even just be nearby an indoor rabbit. Sitting near a rabbit is considered "together time" in a rabbit's way of thinking. So I wouldn't feel guilty about it at all.

(I would never advise a single rabbit be housed outdoors though. They just aren't going to get that much attention or company.)

Latest posts

Back