Do bunnies actually need fruit in their diet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1357rabbitlover

Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions i've been asking tonight! :)

I have never really known, do bunnies actually need fruit in their diet? Because my bunnies may get a piece of banana once every 2 months or not even that, so do bunnies need fruit in their diet or does it not really matter?

Rabbits don't need to have fruit in their diet. They won't get sick or have problems if they don't get fruit. Fruit is a treat and should not be given in large amount or too often.
Vegetables can be a more daily food, but they do need to be introduced slowly and you don't want to give too much at once.

My bunnies would beg to differ. But they are little pigs.

(they only get one bite/day, but they would gladly take more if I let them)

I give my bunnies half a cherry each every single night. They wait for it, its like they KNOW what time treat time is (when i get out of the shower and the whole house is sleeping) It makes us all happy! I dont give the seed or the stem though!

I would consider fruit a treat. You could give papaya daily and that would work as a treat and good for digestion.

I give Harriet a small piece of fruit with her "dinner". Usually one grape, a blueberry, a small chunk of banana. She loves sweet stuff and I can't see how a tiny amount will really hurt.

Banana is rabbit crack.

The lads typically geta piecea few times a day. They are NOT happy when I run out of bananaand all they get is carrot and oatmeal for treats. The lads might well kill me in my sleep if I ever cut them off.

This may well be the secret to taking the lads for their walks without a leash, they have no idea where else they can get banana. I am their magic banana candy man.

Have you given them banana peel? I wash the skin before peeling. then cut in strips & let it dry. This is then banana jerky. Honey loves it.

Fruits are suppose to be treats. They aren't needed in their diet but its a nice way to treat them. Bunny gets a slice of pear or apple with her veggies every night and a few berries or grapes.

Derby is a banana freak. Use it to get him inside at night from his yard. Offered him a couple of fresh raspberries last night, he just about stuck his tonque out at me. Needless to say he didn't like them.

BANANA PEEL DRYING
It's too humid here to dry anything in the sun, so I just put it somewhere out of the way, inside. Like next to the pellet storage container, so I can check on them. Once they're dried I put them in a baggie in the 'fridge & give some to Honey from time to time. She really likes dry &/or crunchy things better than moist ones, so lets me eat the actual bananas.

When I make the pieces in long, narrow strips, I hold one end & she eats it out of my hand until I need to let go or get chewed on, lol.

LakeCondo wrote:
Have you given them banana peel? I wash the skin before peeling. then cut in strips & let it dry. This is then banana jerky. Honey loves it.

Is it necessary to dry it? I used to give my prior buns fresh banana peel on occassion. I haven't given it to my current buns yet becauseI was going to double check (on this forum). Bunny 'knowledge' seems to update over the years as far as what is considered acceptable or healthy.

Oh... yes, and I also thoroughly washed the banana before peeling. I had heard about all the nasties on banana peels. :shock:

No, you don't need to dry it, but I don't give Honey much at a time & drying is easier than wrapping & putting the rest in the refrigerator.

Back