Dippy's not eating as much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can she afford to pay for the initial consultation fee? That, for me is £12, and the vet can give a full check over, and will be able to identify then if teeth are a problem.

The problem that you have is that he does need to see a vet, and likely needs a dental. If you can't afford it then you need to look at places he can go to get treatment, such as surrendering him to a rescue (maybe for his own good), but be careful if you go down this route because a lot of rescues euthanise dental buns. I know you love him, and this is one of those instances where it is harder being a kid and having a rabbit, but most importantly you have to think about Dippy. Is it fair for him to suffer?

I'm not for one second saying you should surrender him or don't love him, just trying to impress on you that potential severity of the situation. Why? Because I was not as vigilant as you about one of my buns a while ago and missed his dental problems and he ended up with a huge abscess and euthanised and I would not want that for you or Dippy.

Then all I can do is hope Dippy is healthy and I really hope there's nothing going on with his teeth:(Poor baby, that's very painful. I hope your mum understands soon Becca, it could be very serious if she doesn't

:cry1::cry1::cry1::cry1::cry1::cry1: :cry1:

:cry4:

Grace, it may not be that she doesn't understand, but that they actually can't afford it. She may also be reluctant to ask for financial help (such as a payment plan) from the vets. I'm sure you are aware of the credit crunch and stuff and all vets practices in my area have seen a downfall in peopel taking pets, and the rescues are seeing a higher surrender rate, or people are euthanising unnecessarily because they can't afford treatment.

All we can do is trust that they will do what is best for Dippy, and not necessarily themselves.

I know your sad but if you can't afford vets bills then a good bunny shelter is the best way to go. Like I said before, denying an animal vet care is often considered animal abuse, even if you didn't mean it and couldn't afford it. Your not letting him down by surrendering him, I'm sure Dippy would before to be pain free rather then in horrible pain, even if it means losing you. Keeping Dippy and leaveing him in pain is being selfish, even though you love him and don't want to part with him.

Flashy wrote:
Grace, it may not be that she doesn't understand, but that they actually can't afford it. She may also be reluctant to ask for financial help (such as a payment plan) from the vets. I'm sure you are aware of the credit crunch and stuff and all vets practices in my area have seen a downfall in peopel taking pets, and the rescues are seeing a higher surrender rate, or people are euthanising unnecessarily because they can't afford treatment.

All we can do is trust that they will do what is best for Dippy, and not necessarily themselves.
Ya your right sorry. It's the same here

Have you got a poole vets where you are? a "rodent consultation" (yes, that does include rabbits lol) is £9 or something like that and they are really good with rabbits. I just look at it like this - it MIGHT not be his teeth , but if he dosen't go to the vets it will get worse and worse.

My mum did some research and found thses links:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=68603

http://www.forum.ontariorabbits.org/viewtopic.php?t=3942&sid=67d8ad96a56d24b873523c38048bcb98

http://www.coloradohrs.com/articles/diet_enough-hay.asp

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080907190834AAkBoZ2

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2987577

And basically if I lessen the amount of pellets he should eat hay, if I put it everywhere in his cage.
He should be eating more hay than pellets. Maybe he's having too many pellets thats why he isn't eating hay.

That is all very true. A bunnies diet should be 80-90% hay. However, even with unlimited pellets I would expect to see some hay eating. You will need to gradually cut back pellets but the fact he is not eating a lot of pellets is indicative of a problem. However, if he eats hay when you cut back the pellets thats a good sign, but watch for losing weight, being lethargic and obviously stasis. Was he eating hay before on this amount of pellet food?

Not eatinghay is suggestive of a dental issue but novet diagnosed a dental issue . We are all saying that Dippy has a dental issue and maybe he does but when I had my first bun I fed the only hay I could find in the city I lived and it was really yellow straw like hay and my rabbit wouldn't eat it.

Maybe Dippy needs better longer strand green hay. ..maybe he eats too many pellets

I don't know if Dippy is suffering right now nor do I know why he isn't eating hay butI don't think the resolution to this is for Becca to give up Dippy.

Maybe Becca could do small jobs for people like baby sitting or helping another younger child with his/her homework. maybe Becca could do odd jobs for someone for pay ex. getting groceries for an elderly person. maybe Becca could earn money for the vet visit even if she is a young person.

I have had to postpone my own bun, Beau's, dental visit recentlyas the dentisit isa few hundreds miles from here, is expensive and we have a lot of bad weather here now.beau has pus coming out of his eye and no vet here knows why and has tried every antibiotic salve on him with no help.

No one here told me to give up Beau

And miracles do happen as
my husband (who initially said NO WAYARE WE DRIVING TO MADISON NOW!!!!!!
has got tired of seeing me in anguish washing Beau's little eye open each morning and told me yesterday to go ahead and make an appt.

Becca
I would try to think of ways to earn the money for the vet visit and in the mean-time try to give him the best hay that you can get and reduce the pellets that he gets .. and also tell your mom that the ONLY thing that you want for Christmas is for Dippy to get a vet visit.
Maybe she will relent if she sees you trying very hard
if I gave Beau up to a shelter he would never make it to adoption but would be PTS right away. Why would someon suggest giving a possible dental bun to a shelter?; he has not even been diagnosed????

Thanks angieluv, I'm going to ask around if anyone wants any jobs doing.

I really DO NOT want to give Dippy up :(

I'm ill today and it is freezing so I can't go outside, (hopefully later the sun will come out) but Emily fed Dippy this morning, she gave him less pellets and put hay in his hay box, by his food bowl, on his shelf and by his litter tray.

I don't know if he's eaten the pellet slurry but Em didn't say he hadn't eaten his normal pellets.

She's gone to school now so I can't ask her.

Thanks again :)

Becca wrote:

I'm ill today and it is freezing so I can't go outside, (hopefully later the sun will come out) but Emily fed Dippy this morning, she gave him less pellets and put hay in his hay box, by his food bowl, on his shelf and by his litter tray.

I don't know if he's eaten the pellet slurry but Em didn't say he hadn't eaten his normal pellets.

Thanks again         :)
Just one thing - if the slurred pellets are still in you need to take them out. They will probably be going more like a biscuit then slurred pellets and they are likely to grow mould if left to long. Whilst you MAY be right on the whole less-pellets more-hay thing, that dosen't explain why he wasnt eating his pellets?

Maybe becuase I was putting more in? I'm not sure though, I can't remember how much I used to give him. I dunno why I changed it and I can't remember when I did....

Angieluv, not sure if that was directed at me where you said all about why would someone suggest giving him up, but I feel it probably was.

I have kept trying to say that we are not sure it is dental, although it does look it and the 'symptoms' could possibly mean it. Whilst I mentioned surrendering I also said 'I'm not for one second saying you should surrender him or don't love him' because I don't think she should. I mentioned it purely because people make different choices in these situations. Some people choose to give up their animals if they think it is in their best interests, some choose to keep and do the best they can because they have a loving home. I myself have looked at giving up my animals, although never have, so I was throwing something else out there, albeit something I didn't particular want Becca to do, or thought was a good idea, but it is another option.

I also said 'be careful if you go down this route because a lot of rescues euthanise dental buns' because obviously this is very important too.

HOWEVER! Reading back on that particular reply my wording WAS all wrong.

Instead of

'The problem that you have is that he does need to see a vet, and likely needs a dental. If you can't afford it then you need to look at places he can go to get treatment, such as surrendering him to a rescue (maybe for his own good), but be careful if you go down this route because a lot of rescues euthanise dental buns. I know you love him, and this is one of those instances where it is harder being a kid and having a rabbit, but most importantly you have to think about Dippy. Is it fair for him to suffer?'

I should have said something like

The problem that you have is that ideallyhe does need to see a vet, and likely needs a dental. If you can't afford it then you maychoose to look at other options, such as surrendering him to a rescue, but be careful if you go down this route because a lot of rescues euthanise dental buns. I know you love him, and this is one of those instances where it is harder being a kid and having a rabbit, because you know what he needs, but you are dependent on your mum'.

So thank you for highlighting that angieluv. I wasn't trying to suggest Becca give him up (as I did say in my next sentence) but my stupid communication skills struck again. Sorry Becca.

x

Don't worry about it Tracy.

Though my nan really REALLY annoyed me last night :(

Becuase I was getting into a bit of a state, my nan said 'get her off that website for a week and she would of forgotten about it' :X:X:X:X:X

:grumpy:

Thats when I shouted at her and stormed up stairs :?

I was like ' Why would I forget about it when he's my rabbit and I love him etc etc etc'

:tears2:

Becca wrote:
Don't worry about it Tracy.

Though my nan really REALLY annoyed me last night :(

Becuase I was getting into a bit of a state, my nan said 'get her off that website for a week and she would of forgotten about it' :X:X:X:X:X

:grumpy:

Thats when I shouted at her and stormed up stairs :?

I was like ' Why would I forget about it when he's my rabbit and I love him etc etc etc'

:tears2:

My auntie said that to me when I was on another forum having trouble with a cat, I said "Well I ain't seen you in months but I didnt forget about you, did I?" .

Flashy wrote:
Angieluv, not sure if that was directed at me where you said all about why would someone suggest giving him up, but I feel it probably was.

I have kept trying to say that we are not sure it is dental, although it does look it and the 'symptoms' could possibly mean it. Whilst I mentioned surrendering I also said 'I'm not for one second saying you should surrender him or don't love him' because I don't think she should. I mentioned it purely because people make different choices in these situations. Some people choose to give up their animals if they think it is in their best interests, some choose to keep and do the best they can because they have a loving home. I myself have looked at giving up my animals, although never have, so I was throwing something else out there, albeit something I didn't particular want Becca to do, or thought was a good idea, but it is another option.

I also said 'be careful if you go down this route because a lot of rescues euthanise dental buns' because obviously this is very important too.

HOWEVER! Reading back on that particular reply my wording WAS all wrong.

Instead of

'The problem that you have is that he does need to see a vet, and likely needs a dental. If you can't afford it then you need to look at places he can go to get treatment, such as surrendering him to a rescue (maybe for his own good), but be careful if you go down this route because a lot of rescues euthanise dental buns. I know you love him, and this is one of those instances where it is harder being a kid and having a rabbit, but most importantly you have to think about Dippy. Is it fair for him to suffer?'

I should have said something like

The problem that you have is that ideallyhe does need to see a vet, and likely needs a dental. If you can't afford it then you maychoose to look at other options, such as surrendering him to a rescue, but be careful if you go down this route because a lot of rescues euthanise dental buns. I know you love him, and this is one of those instances where it is harder being a kid and having a rabbit, because you know what he needs, but you are dependent on your mum'.

So thank you for highlighting that angieluv. I wasn't trying to suggest Becca give him up (as I did say in my next sentence) but my stupid communication skills struck again. Sorry Becca.

x

Tracy, Please read my heartfelt pm

I came home from the shelter , read this thread and identified with Becca because I couldn't get my own bun , Beau, to the right vet . Every morning I get up and cleaned the pus from Beau'seye and worry about it. So I totally identified with Becca. My husband was against going on the 3 hr trip because of the money and because it is winter and snow here. he finally agreed to it (after weeks)and it made me feel that Becca should not give up on things yet either

I :heartsyouTracy

and would never try to offendyou but I did last night by my post which was based on my own situation and also without truly reading both of Becca's threads on Dippy.

Tracy..you truly have excellent communication skills and a very wide base of knowledge and you truly helps the infirmary by your patient, thoughtful and intelligent posts.

I would be lost without You ..

and it's fine if we disagree a bit anyway:hugsquish:

Maureen

Luv-bunniz wrote:
Becca wrote:

Thanks again :)
Just one thing - if the slurred pellets are still in you need to take them out. They will probably be going more like a biscuit then slurred pellets and they are likely to grow mould if left to long. Whilst you MAY be right on the whole less-pellets more-hay thing, that dosen't explain why he wasnt eating his pellets?

When I read the thread in the infirmary last night I did not know that Dippy was eating slurry as I had not read thethread in the other part of the forum that has just been merged.
my dental bun eats just slurry.
Becca when you get a chance just clarify to me whether or not Dippy can eat a regular pellet at all.

if he cannot then the problem is worse than I thought. but teeth have to really be bad before a bun cannot eat a plellet as they sort of dissolve and really don't have to be chewed that much.

Sorry if you need to repeat yourself.

part of my lack of knowledge on this is thatI almost never read the 'Rabbits Only" part of the forum...
and just didn't have the whole story

Maureen

He has been eating regular pellets but on that paticular day he ate them later on after I gave him the slurry, and I have an update...

Dippy has been very VERY sneaky in eating his hay, becuase yes thats right he has been eating it. Not much but he has.
And today Emily fed him (cuz I was ill) and she put hay i lots of places in his cage and when she checked this afteroon he HAD eaten quite a bit she said.

So what we have done is increased the hay, decreased the pellets and increased fresh grass and veggies.

I will continue to update this thread just to make sure and will keep an eye on him and take him the vets if nessecery (sp?)

Thanks guys and sorry for worrying you.... I just get worried easily and didn't obviously look properly :?

Becca
christmas_tree.gif

Latest posts

Back