Dippy's not eating as much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should move your bunnies inside!!!!! They would be much happier and they will live longer to. Bunnies that live outside only can live up to 2 years:shock:!!!While inside bunns can live up to 6-10!!!!! so start looking for inside cages or runs!!!!:biggrin2:

Errm actually, my rabbit Nibbles lived outside and lived form 9 years. basically you are saying my rabbits are not happy, that is not true so please DO NOT say that :grumpy:

And I'm not allowed to have them inside so THAT is not an option :X

RabbitLover07 wrote:
You should move your bunnies inside!!!!! They would be much happier and they will live longer to. Bunnies that live outside only can live up to 2 years:shock:!!!While inside bunns can live up to 6-10!!!!! so start looking for inside cages or runs!!!!:biggrin2:

I'm not even going to start on how very wrong you are.:?

NO NO NO !!!! I am not saying your bunnies not happy:biggrin2: if you spend time with them they are fine!!! just all the people Iknow that keep their bunns outside forget them:grumpy:I am so sorry you took it that way :Xplease forgive me!

I believe the debate on rabbits living longer indoors than outdoors comes from the sad reality of the 'typical' rabbit in a small hutch at the bottom of the garden, more or less forgotten about- Becca I know your rabbits aren't like that! It's true I guess that with indoor bunnies just by the fact that they are indoors and you can see them all the time, you therefore notice any health problems sooner, because you are more aware of their behaviour on a day-to-day basis. Saying that, bunnies can live long and happy lives outside provided that they have adequate housing, and proper love and care... :)

Also, over here in the UK, our winters are quite mild in comparison (although boy do they feel cold to us lol!!) so it's not bad at all for bunnies to be out in this weather, as long as they have plenty of hay to snuggle in, and a hutch that protects them from the elements etc.... :)

Becca, how is Dippy doing? Has he eaten anything at all today? Sorry if you said that further up..... I agree that it's definitely worth asking if your vet will make a payment plan- not all do but our vets are very open to that.... And as Flashy said, if there is a problem, it will be much cheaper in the long run to get it sorted now rather than waiting until it gets a lot worse :)

Edit to say, that by 'typical' I do not mean anybody or their bunnies on here!! I'm referring to the sadly all too true situation for a lot of buns who are misunderstood, not cared for properly, etc etc. I always think of a friend of mine when I was a child who had a bunny, but the more she forgot about him the further down the garden he was moved, and the less he came out to play. He died because he was neglected.:( But that doesnt mean to say that all outside bunnies live like that :) Hope I clarified that!

Okay okay maybe I blew up a bit, but I just don't want you giving out false information :)

And if you know bunnies that are being ignored maybe you should talk to the person and try and help those bunnies?

Try to remember RabbitLover that people on this site are very good with their animals.

Yes, animals can be happy inside, but equally, they can be happy outside. I had an outside bun who was nearly 12 when we had to have him euthanised. I had an inside bun who lived only slightly older than 1.

Becca is a great bunny mum, especially for someone her age (no offense intended Becca, but it can be harder when you are younger fora lot of reasons).

Maybe next time it might be worth working on the wording of your replies. I know it wasn't meant to be, and I also know that you were saying it with a good result in mind, but also remember that meaning can get lost in writing, especially on the internet, it's just something that happens unfortunately.

None taken Tracy, you are absolutly right, we have School, Homework, Tests, Clubs all stuff like that, that take up my time. Though my bunnies are part of my life, feeding, watering, cuddling playing with them is just my lifestyle.

and Thanks Tracy :D I do love my bunnies :biggrin2:

I think *think* that Dippy may of just eaten some hay!!!!!

I'm going to go check again in a little while, he hasn't eaten any of the slurred pellets but he has eaten most of his normal pellets and the oats I gave him.

In a while I'm going to go and get some fresh grass for him.

I went out to check if he'd eaten anything a sec ago and it looked like he was munchin g on the new hay I brought the other day.

*Fingers crossed* Whatever happens though we're still going to take him to the vet.

I wasn't thinking about those sort of things, lol, because most adults have a ton of other stuff to do, I was thinking more about things like you don't have your own transport to take a bunny to the vets, you are dependent on a parent to take you. You also don't have the finances yourself, with, like with Dippy, it can be hard when you know that they need treatment. Those are the sort of things I meant :)

Becca, will Dippy take any greens from you? A bit of parsley or raddish greens? ...maybe a slice of apple? Is he still pooping? Does it look normal?

It's good that he is drinking water. Did he try any of the oats?

Yeah he's been drinking, he ate his pellets and oats, the slurred pellets are still in there and the hay and i filled his bowl half full with normal pellets like he gets everynight.

He is still pooping normal, they haven't decreased in size at all. It's pitch black and icy/slippy now so I can't go out really I would if I have to though.

Becca, when will he get to see the vet? I read on the other thread your mum wouldn't book him in because she didn't have the money. It is really important you tell her.

1. The longer she leaves it the more expensive it will become as his condition worsens.

2. Dippy issuffering and will keep getting worse

3. The longer it's left the harder it will be to get him fixed up.

Basically tell her he needs the vet, no ifs or buts. I know you know he needs to but your mummusn't understand. It is very serious ifhe doesn't. In some places denying an animal vet care is considered animal abuse. I know you love your bunnies and it's not your fault your mum won't ring but have to get her to understand.

Don't go out in the ice... I was just worried he still wasn't eating. It's good if he ate the oats and his pellets.

He may not eat the slurry, it's not what he's used to. Not to worry, as long as he's still eating his regular pellets.

I keep all my rabbits outside, and they do fine. I have never, ever lost a rabbit to the cold (and I think it gets pretty darn cold here during the winter.) The important thing is that they get your attention when you can. And you are very good with that.

I find the heat of summer to be a much bigger problem that the cold of winter. As Flashy stated, the important thing is that they are kept sheltered from the wind and kept dry from snow and rain. As long as Dippy has a snug, dry place to bed down, he will be fine. It is what he's used to, and I'll bet he has a lovely winter coat to show for it too!

Latest posts

Back