Dippy's not eating as much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feeling the cold aswell?!
Try a hot water bottle inside your coat. We and my brother spend hours outside everyday with the ferrets and the hawks and both have to have a hot water bottle inside out coats, works well!
Also wanted to add, for peice of mind for anyone, the rabbits wont feel the cold like we do, I always used to let my rabbits run outside in this weather and well into the -6, if they have a nice warm house to hide away they will be fine.

Really I might try that...and heating in the shed LOL

Does he have a cover over the front of his hutch?

Becca, he really does need to see a vet. The longer you leave it, the worse it could potentially be.

I know having them as house rabbits is idyllic, but often it's not as wonderful as you think (other than you don't have to go out in the cold). Bunnies can take you for granted and become less affectionate and interested in you, so it may mean you were more unhappy with them than you are right now.

They are fine outside, its' only for you you want them in.

As for what Luv-Bunniz said about a hot water bottle, that is smart. I spend hours outside but my blood gets moving because I'm so physical and I get warm, but a hot water bottle, or similar idea, would be perfect.

Becca wrote:
Really I might try that...and heating in the shed LOL
Install a mini coal fire in the shed :p
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4150671/c_1/1|cat_10197552|Heaters+and+coolers|10197884/Trail/searchtext%3EHEATER.htm

ETA: My cousin had one of these months ago when she kept her old dog outside in the playhouse, she used to put it on when she went out then about 10 minutes before she was going back inside the house she turned it off then let it cool down slowly, or on the cold nights she would put it on a stat. lightly to take the frost factor away.

He does have a cover over, I put it over at night and when it's raining.

I'll ask mum to phone the vets to book Dippy in to check for Spurs.
What should she say?

'We think our rabbit may have spurs and he needs to have a proper check?' Or do we just book him in then tell them the reason when we get there?

With our vets I just ask if I can make an appoin tment with a specific vet for one of my rabbits. They ask the rabbit's name, and my details then ask what the problem is. You can either say you are concerned he has molar spurs, or just say he has stopped eating hay and is not eating many pellets. If you get him checked now it should be sorted by Christmas. The last thing anyone wants is a bunny emergency over Christmas because a, it ruins Christmas, b, it's hard to get a vet, and c, it costs a BUNDLE!

Have you been making him a pellet slurry like people suggested you do?

Oooh I forgot about that, I'm going to do it now!

So I just get his pellets and mix them with water? How much?

Just enough water so the pellets go mushy. Better to add a little and keep adding until it is enough. You will probably need warm water.

Did you get some Fibreplex?

Becca wrote:
He does have a cover over, I put it over at night and when it's raining.

I'll ask mum to phone the vets to book Dippy in to check for Spurs.
What should she say?

'We think our rabbit may have spurs and he needs to have a proper check?' Or do we just book him in then tell them the reason when we get there?
I usually book the appointment then when we get there say he has stopped eating and has changed in behaviour or whatever then the vet will probably check for all that.

Okay, should he still have the normal dry pellets available? Like shall I put the slurry in a different bowl?

Whats fibreplex? :shock:

Becca wrote:
Okay, should he still have the normal dry pellets available? Like shall I put the slurry in a different bowl?

Whats fibreplex? :shock:
Give him dry pellets in a bowl then feed him some slurry from a spoon.

Okay BRB Going to make the slurry and try and feed him through a spoon...!

Update soon

I just usually put the slurry in a different bowl and give them a choice of two. If this is not a normal feed time then he may not want it, but leaving it in a bowl means he can eat it if/when he wants.

Fibreplex was what I mentioned on your other thread. It's a pre/probiotic and it has greta levels of fibre in so when they are not eating hay it can stop them going into stasis and keep their gut healthier.

Oh and when you go to the vets make sure they do check his teeth. they will use something that look like what they look in our ears with called an Otoscope, and will look right into his mouth. He may not be overly comfortable. A lot of vets still don't think to check teeth with gut problems, which is why I ahve said that :)

Oh okay, To get warm water I boiled the kettle and now I'm waiting for it to cool a little.

that's the best way to do it :) You can give it to him while it's warm, but not hot. To cool it down quicker you can stand the dish it is in in cold water. That will help speed it up :)

The slurred pellets are in.

I got some on the spoon but he didn't want any, he has a tissue box filled with hay, his bowl filled with pellets and the other bowl with the slurred pellets.

He was just drinking a min ago.

I asked mum to book him in and she said we don't have enough money :(

Can you use the money that you saved for a neuter? Or maybe ask for money for Christmas? Does she understand that the longer you leave it the more complicated and expensive it becomes? Finances are really tough at this time of year, let alone this year, but your vets may allow you to pay in installments.

I'mjust going to check if Dippy has eaten any of his slurred pellets.

Latest posts

Back