Difference in bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeyGirl

Reaction score
Hello! I've been doing alot of research. I wrote in introductions about maybe getting a bunny from a family that may not want it much longer but it hasn't happened...yet. Anyways, I'm thinking we may adopt a bunny or two but I'm not sure what type would be a good fit for our family. I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I know nothing about bunnies except what I'm reading here and other places.

About me and my family: I work full time. I have 3 human kids-14yrs, 11yrs & 6yrs old. I have a few other pets-a dog, hammie, fish & several guinea pigs. All but the fish are rescued pets. My question is what type of bunny would be good w/ kids? What's the difference between the Himilayan and California? Is there a bunny out there that doesn't get too big but is good w/ kids? And are females better than males? Do you recommend a pair of buns instead of one? And do you recommend spaying /neutering (if the pair is the same sex--I would never breed an animal)? What's the best bunny pellets? Is there a list somewhere w/ good veggies for them? And can they eatOrchard or Timothy hay? (I usually order 50lbs of Orchard for the piggies which lasts several months.)

Ok, I hope I haven't overloaded you all. Any help is much appreciated!

This is just my opinion:

I feel pairs are better so their not lonely. A male and female. Both spayed and neutered. Best for their health and behavior. Males tend to be more affectionate. Atleast my males.

I use Oxbow Pellets and Oxbow Timothy Hay. Orchard is grass.

http://www.mybunny.org/info/fruitveg.htm

Here is list a fruits and veggies. Personally I don't give fruits. It's not good for bunnies.

Bunnies are great! Good Luck!

PS) I don't think bunny size really matters . It's what you like and what bun you fall in love with.

Based off MY opinion and my likes and experiance

My question is what type of bunny would be good w/ kids?
The answer to this question is any breed. Dutchs and rex and mini lops are said to be great starter rabbits. Personally I have a 17 month old and I am glad I have giants who are so tolerable of her. She will laynext to my male, her arm wrapped around him and give him open mouthed kisses. My french lop is somewhat tolerable of her. The holland lop I had LOVED her, he only let her get so close to him (RIP) My dwarfs ran from her and were skittish around her.
So in the end, I would meet a bunch of different rabbits and find the right personality. A calmer rabbit that has experiance with kids might be ideal

What's the difference between the Himilayan and California?
Himalayans I think are smaller and more fine boned compared to the californians which are very common and get anywhere from 9-12lbs

Is there a bunny out there that doesn't get too big but is good w/ kids?
Like said above...dutch, mini lop, rex are SAID to be good kid bunnies because they are more likely to be nicer, not always though...i would say stay away from netherlands and polish cause their size and skittiskness

And are females better than males?
Males are cheaper to nueter. Honestly I prefer males from my experiance with 3 females...my males have seemed more laid back and simple. but every rabbit is different

Do you recommend a pair of buns instead of one?
if you can afford a pair then id recommend that. sometimes those are harder to place homes for at rescues. Also you could have the rescue try to bond two buns you like. seeing a bonded pair interact is very rewarding though

And do you recommend spaying /neutering (if the pair is the same sex--I would never breed an animal)?
Single or bonded yes I recommend it for health reasons, but also litter training is easier and they dont have the hormonal problems

What's the best bunny pellets?
I use rabbit chow show formula by purina

Is there a list somewhere w/ good veggies for them?
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html

And can they eat Orchard or Timothy hay? (I usually order 50lbs of Orchard for the piggies which lasts several months.)
they need unlimited timothy hay just like guinea pigs do

Lop breeds can be good with kids. I would actually go for a larger breed with kids. The kids (more the younger ones) can't pick up and carry a large rabbit where it would be easier for them to carry a small one. This also means they are less likely to drop the rabbit. Larger breeds tend to be more mellow.
A pair where both are fixed would be the ideal combination. There are some pairs in rescues that are already bonded. If you needed to bond them, both would need to be fixed and healed before you start to bond them. You might be able to get them at about the same time, but you might want to start with 1 and get a second later. Even if you just end up with 1, spaying or neutered will eliminate certain cancers and generally make them better pets.
I have had 3 females and 2 males. I am not really sure if one is more affectionate than the other. My most affectionate have been the Giant Angora's, and they are more like a dog that an rabbit. The other 2 have been more aloof and will be affectionate when they want to. It does depend a lot of the individual rabbit and what their experiences with people have been like.
I like Oxbow pellets. The BB/T is for adults and the 23/15 is for young rabbits. Ideally, a timothy based pellet is best. There should be no extra bits. The protein should be 16% or less and fibre should be 18% or more.
Orchard grass and timothy hay are great. If you get a young rabbit, you should give some alfalfa hay too.

If you get a rabbit form a shelter or rescue, you should spend some time looking and visiting with them. Bring your kids if you can so you can see how the rabbit does around kids and how the kids interact with the rabbit. Don't go there with a specific rabbit in mind so you can keep your options open. If there is a specific rabbit, don't just get that one because you saw it on the website, get it because it is a good fit for your family.

if you have any questions feel free to ask!

I would recommend a large breed for sure, flemish giants really are like dogs and mines so good with my daughter

Back