Diarrhea Problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunRabit

Reaction score
Hello everybunny!

As some know I recently lost one of a bonded pair of bunnies. The one still living has been having quite a diarrhea problem. He just got off of the Snuffles medication so I don’t know if it is because of that.

I have had to give him a butt bath and been cleaning him with pet safe wipes pretty much every other day. I don’t know what to do.

He has not had any diet changes, except I’ve noticed he gets more diarrhea if he has more greens. He eats lots of hay and drinks plenty of water and eats his pellets too.

If anyone has any advice that would be wonderful because I don’t want to lose him. Thank you 🐰

Is it watery diarrhea of more just mushy poos?
How old is he and what kind and how much pellets does he get daily?
Cut back on greens if they are causing a change for the worse.

Is it watery diarrhea of more just mushy poos?
How old is he and what kind and how much pellets does he get daily?
Cut back on greens if they are causing a change for the worse.
Its like a big mush of poo. He’s like 5/6 years old and is a mini rex (about 4 lbs) and he gets 1/4 of pellets a day

Its like a big mush of poo. He’s like 5/6 years old and is a mini rex (about 4 lbs) and he gets 1/4 of pellets a day
Can you give some more info what kind of pellets, name, ingredients, % of fibre, protein, is he ever missing any cecotropes etc?

Big mush of poo looking like a stinky zeppelin could be cecal dysbiosis it often means that your rabbit's diet is too rich and if you just will keep him on hay and water for a few days it will be gone. But also can indicate some serious illnesses like liver problems etc. I would be interested to see your pellets and generally what he gets daily apart of unlimited hay and water, just absolutely everything, so we can see if his diet is too rich or not. Then I would just remove anything apart of hay and water as I said for a week or so and if there's no changes I would see a rabbit-savvy vet so they can run some tests.

Can you give some more info what kind of pellets, name, ingredients, % of fibre, protein, is he ever missing any cecotropes etc?

Big mush of poo looking like a stinky zeppelin could be cecal dysbiosis it often means that your rabbit's diet is too rich and if you just will keep him on hay and water for a few days it will be gone. But also can indicate some serious illnesses like liver problems etc. I would be interested to see your pellets and generally what he gets daily apart of unlimited hay and water, just absolutely everything, so we can see if his diet is too rich or not. Then I would just remove anything apart of hay and water as I said for a week or so and if there's no changes I would see a rabbit-savvy vet so they can run some tests.

I threw away my bag of pellets but this is what it is: 6BB3B38E-1AEF-4B8D-800A-AFF5738BACF1.png2F252F48-CF15-4810-B3C8-BC3A2A4DB4BB.png

I havent seen any cecotropes so it could mean he eats them or isnt producing any, but yet again he’s had the poo on him bum mostly every other day

He gets Timothy hay, unlimited as always. He drinks lots of water and I usually give him the organic spring mix with a few herbs from my garden but I haven’t given it today to try to stop the diarrhea

Well I can't see anything wrong with your pellets low protein and fat and high fibre, low calcium, should be fine. Maybe he's just getting older and his daily portion is too big for him now?
This big stinky mushy poo is unformed cecotrope I believe so really sounds like dysbiosis to me. If he was on medication antibiotics can also cause dysbiosis, was there prebiotic as well with it?
I couldn't think any more possibilities at the moment, if he's not getting any treats in addition to his diet?

So if it caused by his medication I think he should get some additional meds to help with recovering his flora, if he's getting already maybe it will go away in a few days. Or you can also cut on pellets and if he's getting any sugary food like carrots, apples etc or dairy treats or something. Herbs shouldn't cause this problem.

So maybe other members will have better ideas hopefully you will find out what is wrong there.

So generally I wouldn't call that diarrhea I would say dysbiosis, but that's from your description, because we can't see it, maybe it's something else.

Anyway, get the names of his meds and see if he gets any prebiotic with his antibiotics. Honestly I am not familiar with the names so maybe other members more experienced with meds will give more advice, I only know that antibiotics kill flora and so they should be taken with additives.

Please keep us updated!

Last edited:
Back