Diana's Zoo 09/10

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YukonDaisy

Reaction score
[align=center]Diana's Zoo 2009[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]featuring:[/align]
[align=center]
100_0204.jpg

Ookpik, my Chinchilla Mini Lop. AKA Pookie.
[/align]
[align=center]&[/align]
[align=center]
100_0469.jpg

Newt, my Japanese Harlequin Mini Lop. AKA Toot.[/align]
[align=center][/align]
[align=center]Past blogs:
Diana's Zoo 2008
Diana's Zoo, the original
[/align]

[align=center]The rest of the crew:[/align]
[align=center]
00740013.jpg

The old Lady Daisy May, Australian Cattle Dog. She'll be 15 this April.[/align]
[align=center]
00740006.jpg

Yannik, ACD/mutt. He'll be three in March.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0687.jpg

Misdemeanor (Missy), the momma cat, she'll be 6 or 7 this year.[/align]
[align=center]
00740001.jpg

Kagome Chan, Missy's daughter, she'll be 4 this March.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0674.jpg

Rocky the hedgehog.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0772.jpg

Koemi (hooded) & Kaede (agouti) the rat girls.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0704.jpg

Jacob, telescope fantail.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0700.jpg

Sammi, telescope fantail.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0323.jpg

Kamajii, betta.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0516.jpg

Sesshomaru, betta.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0529.jpg

Shiseido, betta.[/align]

[align=center]In Loving Memory
~Those loved and lost at the Zoo in 2008~
[/align]
[align=center]
100_0252.jpg

Totoro, Syrian Hamster.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0489.jpg

Irma, Double Rex Rat.[/align]
[align=center]
100_0605.jpg

Dorie, Oranda.[/align]
[align=center]Rest in Peace and health, until we meet again.[/align]

Wow, you have a hedgehog? I didn't know they could be kept as pets! Your crew is all adorable! Lady Daisy is certainly looking great for her age! I love your cats and your rats look so silky! Very nice fish too! And of course your bunnies are adorable!

Here's Kagome in the sunshine:

100_0973.jpg

100_0974.jpg

100_0975.jpg

Here's one of the Ramshorns climbing on a plant, I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so I'll post them all.

100_0964.jpg

100_0965.jpg

100_0967.jpg

100_0972.jpg

Some Ramshorn eggs:

100_0969.jpg

TTFN!

~Diana

Wow is my 2009 blog ever lame! LOL

Everyone is doing well here at the Zoo. We have two new additions, my 18 year old niece, Jessica,& her dog, Bella Babee Boo. :)rollseyes@ the name...)
Anyways, having another person means I need another bedroom, which I had in the form of my other nieces pink Dora the Explorer themed room, (she was 3 when I was looking after her.) Well, that wouldn't do, so Jessica wants to trade forthe bunnies larger back room. So I've built new 3x3 NIC cages for them and will finally have them moved today. Then I have to clean out their former room and put the bed in there & make it bedroom-ish. I'm leaving the tropicals in there, they can be Jessica's fish now, lol.

Well here are some pics taken in the last while, none of the bunnies, though! I'll get some pics of them soon, I promise...

Animals012.jpg

Kaede... "you called??"

JessicasPicture031.jpg

Kitty-loafs!

Animals010.jpg

I'm not wrecking your rug! What're you talking about??

Animals009.jpg

Cute little Kagome Chan..

Animals003.jpg

Yannik wearing his shirt... hehe!

Animals005.jpg

Animals006.jpg

Daisy's too cool for words...

BunCages001.jpg

Bunny cages in progress. This is Newt's side, it's all done now. I'm just using cardboard for their shelves because I have a ton of boxes to use. (Because I order so much stuff online...)

TTFN!!

~Diana

Diana, for some reason I thought you lived in an apartment! But a 3 bedroom apartment is pretty big. All your animals are adorable. How do you pronounce Kagome, Kaede, Koemi, Shiseido and Sesshomaru? I always think of the German word for chewing gum, Kaugummi, when I see Kagome.

How do the kitties act with the bunnies and what did you have to do when introducing them? We're thinking about getting a cat soon.

Hi Shiloh,
I live in the main floor of a house. I'm desperately looking for a new place, though, because the people renting the basement smoke and smoke rises, so you can guess how my home smells!

Kagome - KAH-GO-MAY
Kaede - KAI-EH-DEH
Koemi - KO-EH-ME
Shiseido - SH-SIGH-DO
(but I usually pronounce it SH-SHAY-DO because it's easier to say, lol)
Sesshomaru - SES-SHO-MARU

My cats are terrified of the rabbits, thanks to Ookpik. I had the cats before Ookpik & I after she was litter trained, I just let her out. She chased the cats, humped them, etc. So the cats see a rabbit & they head for higher ground. Pookie mellowed out some after she was spayed, but she'll still bite the cats if she can. She's a curmudgeon, what can I say?
Newt would probably love to snuggle with the cats, but they won't go near him either.
I think I just lucked out, all of my animals get along well. I should also mention that Missy was a stray &IS a hunter, in the past she's killed (and eaten) many mice, birds, squirrels, even a grouse and a weasel! But she doesn't bother my little critters (her and Kagome will stare at them, though.) I don't know, maybe she understands they're family? I should add that my cats are both indoor now.
I think cats and rabbits being a similar size helps them to have a mutual respect. But it depends on the individual, too. A smaller mellow cat would be a betterfit than an 18lb tom that was a former stray, lol.

:biggrin2:

~Diana

Ok, Pookie is moved into the new cage. She did not approve at all. First of all, I PICKED HER UP, then I put her into a carrier while I dumped her litter box and put it in her new cage. Then Ireleased her into this foreign enclosure with Newt RIGHT THERE! She thumped a few times then got over herself and raced around a bit & ate some hay. They even touched noses, so hopefully they get along all right. I'm not *too* worried, Ookpik seems to have gotten over her bloodlust for Newt. She did try to ram her nose through the grids to steal his hay, though.
I haven't picked Ookpik up since I first got her. I used to pick her up all the time, then I read how easy it was for a rabbit to break it's back if you don't pick it up properly. Which freaked me out and I never picked her up again. Now she won't allow it.

Anyways, here are some pics:
(Just like I promised!)

Bunnies002.jpg

Bunnies003.jpg

Bunnies004.jpg

Bunnies005.jpg

Bunnies006.jpg

Bunnies009.jpg

Bunnies011.jpg

Bunnies012.jpg

Bunnies013.jpg

Bunnies016.jpg

Bunnies017.jpg

What're you looking at???

Bunnies018.jpg

What're YOU looking at???

Bunnies021.jpg

Poor molt-y Newt, this was after I plucked him!

Bunnies023.jpg

I like Pookie's fluffy/spikey head fur.

Bunnies025.jpg

TTFN!

~Diana

Hi everyone,
It's been so long since I've written anything! We're all doing well and I have some exciting news.... I bought my own home!!!! I'm sooooooooo happy to be moving out of this dump into a nice smoke-free place with a fenced yard! I'm not sure exactly when we'll be moving, I still haven't worked out the possession date because the vendor was out of town for the last week. Hopefully the end of this month.
Ok, here are some pictures (and some very compelling evidence...)

100_1177.jpg

100_1179.jpg

100_1180.jpg

100_1181.jpg

100_1182.jpg

100_1185.jpg

100_1186.jpg

100_1187.jpg

100_1189.jpg

AHA! Grooming!!! Newt was grooming Ookpik right in front of me!! I think bonding them will be a breeze now, I'll put them together once we move.

TTFN!

~Diana

Here are some pictures from the other day:

CellPhonePics015.jpg

Yannik following his dad

CellPhonePics016.jpg

Some scenery

CellPhonePics017.jpg

Daisy!

CellPhonePics018.jpg

Some fireweed, look at Yannik zipping by, lol.

I'll take some pics of the buns tonight, I'm going to let them loose together tonight. Wish me luck!!

Thanks Rebecca!

Here are the pictures from when I let the buns out together the other night:

First, my failed attempts at getting a picture of both of them together:
100_1194.jpg

100_1195.jpg

Newt and the tunnel thing:
100_1196.jpg

Ookpik retreated to the safety of her cage:
100_1197.jpg

The pile of fur I brushes off Newt:
100_1198.jpg

Relaxing Ookpik:
100_1200.jpg

Relaxing Newt:
100_1204.jpg

They came out and were hopping around and touched noses a few times. Then Ookpik, being the curmudgeon that she is, started trying to bite Newts butt. So, I pushed her away from him and observed a bit more, but she was wasn't going to co-operate, so I locked them back up.
Should I just keep trying and letting them out together or wait until we move?
I know that Ookpik grooms Newt too, because he ended up with a bald head because of her. It was pretty funny, I should have taken pics.

I'm also considering adopting a rabbit from the shelter here. He's been there since late 2006 and I just feel bad about him being there so long.Heused to be bonded with another bun, buthe/she recently died. I told my mom about him and she was all "you have to adopt him!! Poor thing!" And I agree with her, he should have a proper home to live out his life in.
I phoned to inquire about him tonight, he's in foster care and he's "really old."
I just don't know about it. If I adopt him it would probably ruin Ookpik and Newts relationship (if you can call it that.) Or him and Newt would get along and then "Cuddly" would die and Newt would be sad. Or they'd all get along and I'd have a trio. Or I'd have three single buns.
I dont' think caring for one more bun would be too difficult. I would wait until after the move to adopt him, so the space would be 100% neutral. But then with the 100% neutral space, I could get Oopik & Newt together without her getting so territorial. I just don't know...
Anyway, here is a picture of Cuddly (whose name I would definitly change...)
cuddly1web.jpg

TTFN!

Diana, I love your 2 babies. Hopefully the bonding will get better. Aren't bunnies just the funniest animals. They kiss each other through the cage but you let them out and the will start to go at each other. But at least your 2 are starting to make progress.

I think you should adobt Cuddly she is so cute. Even if she has to be a single bunny she will be so loved by you and have room to play. Who knows maybe you will end up with a Trio.

Susan:)

Latest posts

Back