Destructive bunwife

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosleybun

Reaction score
Hello everyone, so this journey of having two now bonded buns has been a steep learning curve so far. So my buns are now bonded, a fixed boy and girl. They are indoor buns with a conservatory too themselves. Going through their bonding and increasing space has meant that they have not been outside in a while. They did separately have (supervised) free run of the garden which they enjoyed. Worried about boredom they have Lots of toys, forage box and good diet. However over the last week or so my female has taken to digging everything out of litter tray, continually and chewing holes in the flooring. I've changed the trays, the litter and no change. Is she just bored? should I just open the door and let them free roam in the garden for a time in the day. Her husbun was always very tidy. Would really appreciate any help I'm stumped.

Glad to hear they are getting along well.

Some rabbits are just more of diggers than others. You might want to provide a dig box for her (or two!). That would be for her to get her digging urges satisfied.

As for the litter box problem, you could put a grate over the litter to prevent digging or use a high-sided litter box. Here are some examples of each...

Attachments

• SCREEN KIT - Mesa BLUEMAIN1.jpg
    SCREEN KIT - Mesa BLUEMAIN1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4
  • rubbermaid.png
    rubbermaid.png
    465.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Glad to hear they are getting along well.

Some rabbits are just more of diggers than others. You might want to provide a dig box for her (or two!). That would be for het to get her digging urges satisfied.

As for the litter box problem, you could put a grate over the litter to prevent digging or use a high-sided litter box. Here are some examples of each...
Thank you for these suggestions. The high sided bottom box is what I have already as they are big buns. The one with the screen looks great but I'm struggling to find it are you in the USA?

I'm in the US. Maybe some of our UK members may have an idea of where to get a mesh screen. Some have used an old cookie cooling rack or the plastic grids used for old fluorescent tube lighting fixtures (still found in hardware stores).

I made my mesh screen litter covers out of plastic pet mesh window screening and some plastic edging from a home improvement store. I just cut to size then zip tied the edging around the screen. I like it better than the metal screens. I've used plastic cross stich fabric in the past too. It's a bit easier as you can just cut to size with scissors and don't need to put edging on it. The main issue I had with it though, was some of my rabbits decided it was fun to chew up.

I made my mesh screen litter covers out of plastic pet mesh window screening and some plastic edging from a home improvement store. I just cut to size then zip tied the edging around the screen. I like it better than the metal screens. I've used plastic cross stich fabric in the past too. It's a bit easier as you can just cut to size with scissors and don't need to put edging on it. The main issue I had with it though, was some of my rabbits decided it was fun to chew up.
I will give anything a go as they have nowhere to go to the toilet because she empties it so have started going on the carpet. Her husbun (and me) are very unhappy about it.

Latest posts

Back