Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzPizzazz

Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to be having my Netherland Dwarf who has just turned one desexed in July. I know where she is being done and all of that, but I just wanted to know any suggestions on preparation before and caring after the procedure. I would also like to know your experiences with getting rabbits desexed and what to expect.
Thanks so much,
JazzPizzazz.
=: 3

Make sure you get pain medication for your girl.

My bucks where tired and didn’t want to eat, I made sure to have a set up where they where in a controlled area with no shelf. I also had a heating rug for the bunny that always freeze. I bought a lot of fresh herbs which my bunnies love and just overly spoiled them the first two days with things they like to eat (fruits, pellets, herbs, leafy greens). This was to just motivate them to eat something.

One of my bunnies would only eat lemon balm the first day and not touch water or any other food, so I made sure his lemon balm was soaked with water but late in the night he started to eat hay.

They will be in pain and can be hard to make them to eat. Also make sure you have critical care and syringe, if you will have to force feed your girl. If your girl haven’t started to eat the next day my vet told me to take my bunny in to them. So would they instead take over the care, don’t know if your vets would do that.

Because one of the danger after being desexed is GI stasis.

If everything goes well and she start to eat on her own, keep an eye on the wound. To make sure it don’t get an infection and that the wound heal beautiful.

Make sure you get pain medication for your girl.

My bucks where tired and didn’t want to eat, I made sure to have a set up where they where in a controlled area with no shelf. I also had a heating rug for the bunny that always freeze. I bought a lot of fresh herbs which my bunnies love and just overly spoiled them the first two days with things they like to eat (fruits, pellets, herbs, leafy greens). This was to just motivate them to eat something.

One of my bunnies would only eat lemon balm the first day and not touch water or any other food, so I made sure his lemon balm was soaked with water but late in the night he started to eat hay.

They will be in pain and can be hard to make them to eat. Also make sure you have critical care and syringe, if you will have to force feed your girl. If your girl haven’t started to eat the next day my vet told me to take my bunny in to them. So would they instead take over the care, don’t know if your vets would do that.

Because one of the danger after being desexed is GI stasis.

If everything goes well and she start to eat on her own, keep an eye on the wound. To make sure it don’t get an infection and that the wound heal beautiful.
Thanks. Will do.

Back