debate between breeders and rescuers for proper diet.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flash Gordon wrote:
the breeders arent looking thru the same glasses ..they remove themselves somewhat from getting attached to these buns and do what needs to be done logically to make this breed flawless...seems brutal to some ...but smart to others..
this isa very flawed and untrue statement. there are breeders on this forum who take better care of their rabits and share more love with them than some of the pet owners. its unfair to generalize ona subject ike this

Flash Gordon wrote:
the breeders arent looking thru the same glasses ..they remove themselves somewhat from getting attached to these buns and do what needs to be done logically to make this breed flawless..
I've been following this thread and biting my tongue. I really really didn't like the whole "breeder vs. rescuer" thing to begin with.

I'm sure there are many people who can tell you that as a breeder - I get very attached to my rabbits. I know Ali can tell you she's probably spent hours listening to me cry about rabbits I've lost - as can Zin - as can others here on the forum.

Each of my rabbits is an individual person to me - sure - a person with fur on - but still yet - they each have their own personality. I can tell you what each one likes - and dislikes. I can tell you who is going to dance for supper - and who is gonna hide in the back of the cage with a "Don't eat me" attitude...because they just don't like having anyone in their cage. I can tell you who likes hay - and who hates it. I know who will beg for the carrot - and who would prefer a banana for a treat.

I know of many other breeders who are like this also. One of my breeder friends has a song for EACH of her rabbits -a different song for each one. I got Triad from her and his song is "Zippedy do da...Zippedy day...my oh my what a wonderful day." He hears me singing that - and he knows I've got something for him.

I'm not going to go into the whole debate of do my rabbits get hay or veggies or whatever. Why? Its no one's business. I get enough flack as it is just for being a breeder - let alone being told that I don't feed good enough or whatever.

I tailor each rabbit's diet to what seems to work best for them. I also consider what they like and dislike.

One thing I think folks forget - is that as a breeder - I have to invest - on a weekly basis - into my rabbits. For my flemish giants (big eaters) - I go through 50 pounds every two days right now (I have 6 "babies" that are 9 weeks old and are free fed). Edited to add: I'm not alone in that - and my point is - that as breeders - we do have to put out more money regularly for our rabbits. We didn't just get "Fluffy" and have to spend $15 per month on his/her food......or whatever it is that folks pay in their area. Chances are good that our expenses are higher as many of us have meds on hand for dealing with things we can handle ... and we accept that - but because of that -each rabbit is an "investment" -meaning we want to do our best to keep them healthy because of the money we've put into them. As an example, I paid over $400 to buy Harmony and fly her here - you better believe I'm going to do everything I can in my power to keep her healthy and not neglect her!

I spend a lot of time every day with my rabbits - to play with them - to get them exercise - to socialize them. It KILLS me that I can't let my bucks get the run time that my girls get....and once my bunny barn is up I can set them up some runs (and once it is nicer outside I can do that too).

Not all breeders are the way you describe. I've called /emailed breeders who've had a loss and cried with them and grieved with them....and they've contacted me when I've had a loss.

So please do not lump all breeders together and assume the same thing about them - cause it isn't true.

Not all breeders are alike - not all rescuers are alike - not all pet owners are alike. But the one thing we should be alike in - is that we focus on the rabbits' health and happiness - that includes diet, exercise, cage cleanliness, etc.

So there's more to the whole "healthy rabbit" thing than just the diet.

Just my .02 ~ based upon my opinion - which like my feet - may stink. Feel free to ignore it!

TinysMom wrote:
Flash Gordon wrote:
the breeders arent looking thru the same glasses ..they remove themselves somewhat from getting attached to these buns and do what needs to be done logically to make this breed flawless..
I've been following this thread and biting my tongue. I really really didn't like the whole "breeder vs. rescuer" thing to begin with.

I'm sure there are many people who can tell you that as a breeder - I get very attached to my rabbits. I know Ali can tell you she's probably spent hours listening to me cry about rabbits I've lost - as can Zin - as can others here on the forum.

Each of my rabbits is an individual person to me - sure - a person with fur on - but still yet - they each have their own personality. I can tell you what each one likes - and dislikes. I can tell you who is going to dance for supper - and who is gonna hide in the back of the cage with a "Don't eat me" attitude...because they just don't like having anyone in their cage. I can tell you who likes hay - and who hates it. I know who will beg for the carrot - and who would prefer a banana for a treat.

I know of many other breeders who are like this also. One of my breeder friends has a song for EACH of her rabbits -a different song for each one. I got Triad from her and his song is "Zippedy do da...Zippedy day...my oh my what a wonderful day." He hears me singing that - and he knows I've got something for him.

I'm not going to go into the whole debate of do my rabbits get hay or veggies or whatever. Why? Its no one's business. I get enough flack as it is just for being a breeder - let alone being told that I don't feed good enough or whatever.

I tailor each rabbit's diet to what seems to work best for them. I also consider what they like and dislike.

One thing I think folks forget - is that as a breeder - I have to invest - on a weekly basis - into my rabbits. For my flemish giants (big eaters) - I go through 50 pounds every two days right now (I have 6 "babies" that are 9 weeks old and are free fed). Edited to add: I'm not alone in that - and my point is - that as breeders - we do have to put out more money regularly for our rabbits. We didn't just get "Fluffy" and have to spend $15 per month on his/her food......or whatever it is that folks pay in their area. Chances are good that our expenses are higher as many of us have meds on hand for dealing with things we can handle ... and we accept that - but because of that -each rabbit is an "investment" -meaning we want to do our best to keep them healthy because of the money we've put into them. As an example, I paid over $400 to buy Harmony and fly her here - you better believe I'm going to do everything I can in my power to keep her healthy and not neglect her!

I spend a lot of time every day with my rabbits - to play with them - to get them exercise - to socialize them. It KILLS me that I can't let my bucks get the run time that my girls get....and once my bunny barn is up I can set them up some runs (and once it is nicer outside I can do that too).

Not all breeders are the way you describe. I've called /emailed breeders who've had a loss and cried with them and grieved with them....and they've contacted me when I've had a loss.

So please do not lump all breeders together and assume the same thing about them - cause it isn't true.

Not all breeders are alike - not all rescuers are alike - not all pet owners are alike. But the one thing we should be alike in - is that we focus on the rabbits' health and happiness - that includes diet, exercise, cage cleanliness, etc.

So there's more to the whole "healthy rabbit" thing than just the diet.

Just my .02 ~ based upon my opinion - which like my feet - may stink. Feel free to ignore it!

:great:

Well said!

Flash Gordon wrote:
thats AWESOME!! Congratulations your officially one of the Good Breeders...the ones we need.!
I don't really see where there is a "good" breeder and "bad" breeder. ;) Yes there are breeders that don't care about their animals, but I think that what a lot of people consider as "bad breeders" are just breeders that don't share the same view points as "good breeders". :)

Flash Gordon wrote:
Have breeders culled out enough flaws in some lines to say that extra nutrients arent goin to be needed,.,,
they say pellets are perfectly made for the nutritional needs of a rabbit....yes some buns love veggies but do they NEED them if they are strong healthy stock buns .....??
I think an important thing to remember is that, regardless of how well bred a rabbit is, all rabbits have the same nutritional needs that need to be met. It's not that by feeding pellets you're taking away nutrients, or by feeding veggies you are adding more.

The bottom line is that there are many different ways to give your rabbits all of their required nutrients. Many pet owners prefer to feed fresh veggies because they feel that their rabbits like them and it is within their means to provide them. If a person is knowledgable enough to do this, that's excellent! Veggie supplements can certainly be good!

But not every pet owner is knowledgable enough to provide a balanced veggie diet, or maybe (as in the case of most breeders), it is just not within their means to feed their rabbits fresh veggies. Neither way is good, bad, or better. It's just that breeders must find other ways to give their rabbits the same nutritionally balanced diet- often through pellets.

In essence, we're all doing the same thing here. But just like people's lifestyles, rabbit's lifestyles vary depending on what is available to them. I think EVERYONE can argue that their way is best because it is what works for them!:) But that doesn't mean that something else won't work equally as well for someone else.

Latest posts

Back