debate between breeders and rescuers for proper diet.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybun is different, and will react differently to different foods. For rabbits, we need to be concerned with calorie intake and calorie requirement, how the GI system processes the food, and how the food affects tooth growth.

Speaking in broad generalities, breeding bunnies have a higher caloric requirement. Growing young bunnies, pregnant or nursing moms, and being kept in a less temperature-controlled environment as many breeder bunnies are all increase the amount of calories needed. Many rescues and pet homes are air conditioned and heated to stay around 70 year round.

I feed a lot of veggies simply because my bunnies like them, I can provide them, and my guys have been healthy on the diet for a long time. Currently they're getting the less desirable stuff from my garden (leaves and stems from broccoli plants, the outer leaves of cabbages, cucumbers that have gotten yellow from the sun), and they also get cheaper veggies in other times. It brightens my day to see them go crazy for veggies, see them lick cucumber juice off their chins, and chase each other around for the "best" pieces.

I also don't want to change up a diet that they've all gotten for years, with only 3 cases of gas during that time and one URI as the only health problems we've seen. Nobody's overweight either. The gas was caused by 1) car ride home after adoption, a 4 hr trip 2)a neuter 3) too many crackers.

Nobody hears a lot about my bunnies' health because they are all healthy. They range in age from 2.5 to 6 years old, and 3 are flat-faced breeds. 3 have ear tattoos, one of which is definitely not pure bred, and the one without a tattoo is a nice body typed Dutch mismark. All but the Holland mix were definitely bred by professionals, then put into pet homes that didn't work out, and they ended up in shelters. The Holland mix is probably the result of a backyard breeder.

At the shelter I help with, we do get a lot of mixed breed bunnies from accidental or backyard breeder litters. We also get them from people who bought them at the pet store and then decided they didn't want them. Most of the pet store bunnies are pet quality pure breds from breeders. There are health issues in all of them, regardless of whether they look mixed breed or not, but in general they are a healthy lot. It is true that backyard breeders often make mistakes in not removing bunnies with genetic issues from their breeding stock. All of the shelter bunnies get a high hay, low pellet, low veggie diet too.

There are some bunnies that won't eat hay. To help their tooth growth and GI mobility, they should get fresh grass as often as possible. There are some bunnies that don't eat veggies, or can't tolerate them. That's fine as long as they get enough water to keep the GI moving as well.

I guess my main point here is that there are different requirements for different bunny lifestyles, and my lazy Tony who sits in front of the fan all day doesn't need as much protein as a bunny that lives in a barn. There are genetic issues that seem to come up more often in rescued rabbits because they are more often from breedings that were not properly planned, and because breeders do not often keep bunnies around for more than 5 years (I know there are exceptions).

It's not really valid to say that breeders' rabbits are healthier on a whole, or that rescued rabbits are healthier either. Rescued rabbits may be monitored more closely because they're in the home as well. I think the bad genetics seen in rescued rabbits balances out with them being scrutinized more closely. A bunny needs protein, fiber, and liquid. The way they get these things may differ, but they end up getting them whether it's from hay, veggies, and few pellets, or just pellets and water. I do think, however, that hay is a good thing for all bunnies to at least have access to, for fiber and to combat boredom, plus it is really cheap.

I don't have much hands on experience with diet- only 4 years with my two rabbits, so I can't really comment too much on this, except that I do think my rabbit's diet is the ideal (obviously otherwise i wouldn't be feeding it). Lots of good quality hay, lots of fresh grass, lots of fresh veggies, herbs, safe plants, small amount of good quality pellets, and the occasional fruit treats.

I am all for trying to keep a pet animal's diet as natural as you can, because obviously this is the diet selected by evolution as the ideal diet. HOWEVER, having said that, has our many years of breeding and breeding and manipulating these rabbits caused that ideal diet requirement to change? I don't know. All i know is that the diet I provide for my buns is perfect for them, but it does differ with each rabbit. Like with humans; my sister is gluten intolerant, so obviously she needs a different diet. Some people i know don't react well to fatty foods etc. or certain carby foods. So they adjust their diet accordingly. What I would say to this though is that these diets have only been adjusted because there is just reason for it. I think to put a rabbit on an all pellet or one of a very high percentage of pellets immediately without any dietry reasons for it is a bit irresponsible but that is just my very humble and perhaps slightly ignorant opinion, but as I said, I am one for trying to give variety, deliciousness (accompanied with healthiness being most important of course) and as natural as possible. I do think that that little amount of pellets does just give that reassurance that the bun is getting all the nutrients and vitamins needed that perhaps you have not provided in your veggy side, and those calories.

I also don't see the problem with breeders who have rabbts that love veggies, to give them a high pellet based diet if they really feel the need but also provide them with a tasty salad once a day or once every few days if the rabbit clearly loves it's veggies.

I also believe it is very important for rabbits to have unlimited hay because not only is it good for them, detracts from boredom, but it also encourages and contributes to their naturalforaging behaviour, which I think is very important to encourage.

Jen

maybe i shuda put this thread in the breeders section..yes there are some of you that are "getting " what im saying..(Julie):) ..but some of u are goin in the same direction that all the pellet debate threads go on..
Have breeders culled out enough flaws in some lines to say that extra nutrients arent goin to be needed,.,,
they say pellets are perfectly made for the nutritional needs of a rabbit....yes some buns love veggies but do they NEED them if they are strong healthy stock buns .....??
yes we agree on the hay thing..bunnies need hay.,.but is it possible that a breeder can remove the teeth problem from their line..and not have to be obsessed about making sure that line needs hay shoved in their face everyday,,like some pet rabbits that people have that have to get their buns teeth trimmed every couple of months....thats gotta be something that breeders can fix for the next generation of bunnnies...isnt it...i mean shoot fix the flaws breeders ...not just the looks of em..make them live longer by breeding the strong and healthy ones in ur herd...not the weak ,high maintenance ones..
im not totally into breeding thats for sure...im on the rescueing end of it..but i think we NEED to have GOOD Breeders to keep all the dif breeds perfectly spit and polished and around for generations to aww over..

so no matter how healthy a rabbit can be some of u guys still think that veggies are "NEEDED" in their diets??(i dont mean for a treat)...how do u know that pellets dont have what a healthy strong bunny can thrive on?? has anyone ran tests on this kinda thing.?,do bunnies become malnourished from a non veggie diet??

this subject could really go in alot of dif directions..

If you had placed this in the breeders area, I would have moved it to here since that is where it belongs. The rabbitry has enough "debate" at times when it isn't necessary - why - we even have discussions that make me feel uncomfortable.

Just wanted to let you know that the discussion / debate would have been moved to this area.

Peg
Sr Rabbitry Moderator

I'm confused how some of us aren't getting what you are saying? Many of the above posts answer your original question regarding all pellet diets and also if veggies are needed in a diet. Most of us agree that no, veggies are not a necessity when the right amount of quality pellets and hay is fed. Most agree an all pellet diet is not the way to go though; variety is key.

Thanks Peg good to know...
Erika maybe i wasnt explaining myself right on the first post...im getting sidetracked myself here....do certain buns need extra nutrients if they arent breed from a reputable experienced breeder that breeds strong ,healthy buns???? do the top breeders that u know of have all healthy long living buns?? or are all the flaws still in their lines too...
What do u mean when u say "variety is key"..?.variety of dif pellets?..cuz somebody else said that in another post too...im really not tryin to start a debate over this im genuinely curious if breeders can make the perfect specimen of Rabbits...is it the backyard breeders that have breed alot of genetic flaws into our bunnies and made a once easy maintenanced animal,, now a delicate high maintenance one.?..
im not complaining about the maintenance either..i luv all of my buns and will always save and have buns in my life.but im thinkin of other people who dont have the time that i have or the ability to care for such an animal..we would prob have less buns needing a home if they werent so delicate and hard to care for....like all the people who say i got a cat cuz their easy to keep...
...yada yada .,,man its easy to get sidetracked on my OWN THREAD...

I think what Lisa is ultimately asking is, are breeders prioritizing healthy buns in their breeding lines? Breed out common problems some buns have a predisposition of getting -- like nethie dwarfs and teeth problems for instance. Is that right? I do believe that that was answered to some degree already, but would appreciate any other breeders who want to state their stance. The topic was opened rather broadly so the thread is prone to taking off in various directions.

I guess I should mention I'm not a breeder. I've only had two experiences with breeders in person, both have been bad. One was supposedly reputable and known in the area. That is who I got Dewey from. He soon developed seizures and died before his 1st birthday from what seemed to be a neurological disorder.

All the old rabbits (10+) I've heard of have been indoor pets.

Variety meaning not just pellets and not just veggies either. For example my rabbits have a diet with variety because I feed them Hay, Pellets and Veggies.

Have rabbits ever been low maintenance? :D I always thought their care has become a little more complex because of research and groups like HRS, which in turn means rabbits are living longer and happier lives. The days of leaving bunny in a hutch in the backyard with nothing but a cheap pellet only diet are dieing fast.

My grandfather has some really old Encyclopedia books. Under Rabbits it says the best food to give them is table scraps like bread and also grain. No mention of hay or even pellets, definitely not anything about veggies. Back then they didn't know any better. I can guarantee the bunnies didn't live long though.

Hmm, nice subject I think.
I will be going back through and rereading everything later today. But Thought I would drop in my 2 cents...

I rescue and breed. * no the rescues aren't here for breeding*

I feed unlimited amounts of hay, and pellets, between adults and babies. I also feed them "salads" 3 times a day. containing, Romaine, parsley *2 kinds*, cilantro, leafy green, leafy red, and then a dozen other things added in.

I do find though that my rabbits are a better weight, with a healthier coat, and they ate less on the Nutriphase Rabbit Food.

Happi Bun wrote:
I guess I should mention I'm not a breeder. I've only had two experiences with breeders in person, both have been bad. One was supposedly reputable and known in the area. That is who I got Dewey from. He soon developed seizures and died before his 1st birthday from what seemed to be a neurological disorder.
Was Dewey perhaps a blue eyed white, or a color with white splashes everywhere?

As far as this whole thread goes...

I think that breeders DO pay attention to longevity and health. If a herd isn't healthy, production count will be down. Rabbits won't place well at shows. Rabbits would die before they're "usefulness" for lack of better word, is up.

Things like maloclussion are culled heavy for. Rabbits that show it? Immediately out. Rabbits that produce it, generally also out. Other problems that show up and generally culled for. It costs the same, if not more, amount of money to raise a sick rabbit as it does to raise a healthy one. Guess what, the healthy one sells for more. Generally that's a desired trait.

Recently there's been discussion over supplements. Some people are finding that if you feed supplements, say, to improve coat, it creates (or more so lets you not focus on the problem) lines that NEED that supplement to bring in a nice coat.
In that case, I think a pellet/hay with possible grass grazing is the best diet. (I guess grass is really hay before it's cut... But... LOL!) My rabbits are fed their ration of feed nightly, between 9 and 11 pm. A hand full of hay every other day. They're let out in the backyard (fenced, and sometimes in NIC kind of cages) once or twice a week each for a few hours. What they do in that time is their choice. Some run, some eat, some do both.

I'm rambling... XD Sorry!

Your asking us to make massive generalities. Of course not every breeder's rabbit are genetically healthier than the average pet. However it is certainly possible to breed rabbits less predisposed to teeth problems the same as breeding can make them more predisposed. Teeth problems can be genetic or dietary or a mix of both. A breeder can have genetically problem free lines but if the owner feeds the wrong diet they'll still get teeth issues. Some lines will be more effected by a bad diet than others.

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
Happi Bun wrote:
Was Dewey perhaps a blue eyed white, or a color with white splashes everywhere?
I can answer this for you--yes, Dewey was a blue eyed white lionhead.

To the OP, I do think that many of us have answered the question you asked. First, generalities about breeder and rescue rabbits aren't always valid. Second, most of us who do feed veggies do it mostly because our bunnies like them, not because they are "necessary", and because they're a good way to get water into the GI tract of a bunny that might be having some gut slowdown. They're also a good way to get water into the system of a bunny with bladder issues, like stones or sludge. It's like zucchini bread--it's a lot tastier than just plain zucchini, so even kids will eat it. In the same way, water is pretty boring for bunnies to drink, so if you give water by giving veggies, they'll eat it.

It seems to me that pretty much everyone is saying hay is necessary.

And the veggie debate seems to be more or less agreed upon as well. It seems like most people seem to be saying that veggies are great, and they would like to feed them, but you can have a healthy rabbit without them.

I think it was a tad unfair to imply that "rescuers" have better feeding practices then breeders. How many pet owners have come to this site feeding their rabbit a completely unacceptable diet without knowing it was wrong? Breeders at least get the pellets right(or at least reputable breeders, its not worth talking about the irresponsible ones). Thats a lot more than many pet owners can say.

I feel like sometimes rabbit people try to create divides between pet owners and breeders that just arn't there. I think this might be one of those times.

That is just misinformation though... Also they come here and become educated. :)

Luluznewz wrote:

And the veggie debate seems to be more or less agreed upon as well. It seems like most people seem to be saying that veggies are great, and they would like to feed them, but you can have a healthy rabbit without them.

I think it was a tad unfair to imply that "rescuers" have better feeding practices then breeders. How many pet owners have come to this site feeding their rabbit a completely unacceptable diet without knowing it was wrong? Breeders at least get the pellets right(or at least reputable breeders, its not worth talking about the irresponsible ones). Thats a lot more than many pet owners can say.

I feel like sometimes rabbit people try to create divides between pet owners and breeders that just arn't there. I think this might be one of those times.

:highfive::clapping:

I agree totally. When I first got Tony, I fed him the pellets with the fruit loop like extra bits in them, total junk. Most pellets in a farm supply store are better than the "gourmet" pellet mixes that are made for pet rabbits and pet owners are tricked into buying!

Luluznewz wrote:

I agree whole-heartedly.

I think that sums up the entire conversation quite nicely. Thank you! :hug:

I can say from being a breeder myself (not that I have a ton of months/years behind me yet lol) that the health and overall well being is my top priority with my rabbits.

Yes I am in it to make a few dollars, which is not 'profit' in my eyes, it is just an added bonus that inturn will help pay for things for the rabbits (new cages, new stock, etc). But in the long run I am willing to spend whatever it takes to raise healthy happy rabbits.
My rabbits are do not spend time outside in the yard, I do not trust the grass out our house, but when we move they will have runs and playpens setup out side. All of mine get the best possible pellets, hay and veggies that I can find. Cages are scrubbed every week and bedding is caged weekly and scooped out 2-3 times in between scrub downs. Every rabbit spends time outside of their cages in playpens and are played with by us daily (trust me it's like having...23 kids to entertain lol).

As far as age goes, I don't have a 'set age' that I'm just going to get rid of a rabbit in my rabbitry. Space-wise if possible I would keep every single one lol. But that's not the real world. With breeders, when a rabbit can't contribute anything (can't breed/show/etc) most of the time a breeder has to sell. A lot of breeders just don't have the space to keep rabbits that can't give them anything. They're not worthless, the breeder might be heartbroken at the thought of selling, but in the long run to keep their business going, they have to. Plus, a lot of the time a breeder might decide to get out of a breed and move ontoanother etc. Why not? They can sell the herd to a person just starting out breed and think of the opportunity that new person would getwith herd of wonder breeding/showing rabbits. So one breeder's sale is normally another breeder's gain. (not always though I know)

Anywho, I have met, even bought rabbits from breeders that do not share my viewpoints. On the standpoint of veggies. The woman that we bought our Rhinelanders from about DIED when I said that we give ours leaf lettuce. Why? I don't have a clue, her stock is 100% healthy and happy, she just doesn't share the same viewpoints on veggies etc with us. (Let's just say I still haven't given the rhinelanders veggies yet :p )

So I really think it comes down to the person. If one person feeds their rabbit a good variety, but does not give veggies, etc. I don't see the harm as long as the rabbit is healthy and happy. And same goes to someone that gives their rabbit every healthy thing you can think of. :)

When you're talking about this, you have to think about the number of rabbits that breeders vs. pet owners have.

Everything else, just as well as the numbers of rabbits, is a key point to a proper diet. Breeders don't have enough money to pay hundreds of $$ onveggies weekly, so they stick to the grass, hay, pellets, and the occasionall veggie type of diet, whereas pet owners, with a lower number of rabbits (some perhaps have just as many as a small breeder has) can work it into their budget to shell out that money, giving their rabbitsthe "required" amount of daily veggies.

Breeders breed for the health in their herd, so they are going to use animals that are healthy, and don't have the teeth "flaws". Regardless, all rabbits should have hay, because evenrabbits without teeth flaws, from perfectly healthy lines, that don't have maloclussion in the backgrounds, can crop up with teeth problems because of overgrown teeth. Overgrown teeth can lead to maloclussion, so it's not all about the genes here. ;)

Veggies, herbs, fruit can be good for rabbits - there are several that I have used to treat illnesses (such as the case with GI Stasis - fresh pineapple& parsley are two foods I fed), but I agree with Julie that they can cause GI problems as well. ;) Rabbits can live a perfectly healthy life on just hay & pellets because of the nutritional value that is in them, so Myia, I think your statement about people believing an all-pellet diet is correct should do some research, is a tad harsh.

Rabbits in the wild might have a slightly varying diet, but it mainly consists of grasses, and plants. If you think about it, it's not that different than pellets, and hay.

As a breeder, I feed pellets 2x daily, as well as hay twice daily. I pick grass, dandelion leaves, blackberry leaves, roses, dandelions, grass, and clover as often as I can. My rabbits get these greens anywhere from daily, to once a week, to once a couple of months - usually depending on what season it is. They do fine on an all pellet/hay diet when they don't get these greens. They get veggies/fruits when I have extras, or decide to give them some, but I don't go out of my way shelling out unneeded dollars when they are perfectly content on the diet they have.

It's up to the owners if they decide they want to add in the veggies, or just stick to pellets and hay, but as far as I see it, pellets & hay go a long way... it's better than not feeding your rabbit at all. ;)

Emily

im really enjoying reading these...thank you everybody for steppin up and giving ur opinion and keeping it friendly..

so hay is a must for teeth,a healthy poop shoot.,and boredom...(altho i feed timmy hay bale unlimited i dispise the stuff..i have 10 house buns...my house looks like a barn..hay is its own entity..i find it everywhere...my purse,the shower,in my bra,the itchy thing that keeps u awake at night in ur bed..)
and pellets are necesary in MY buns diet cuz i dont know how to feed enough variety of veggies to get all the nutritional value the buns need...id def have my work cut out for me....
veggies i absolutely understand why alot of people dont feed em....i did feed alot of veggies for awhile and tiny bit of pellets but geez i cant afford to keep it up with 10 buns..thats why ive been researching wether removing them or dwindling them down would be ok...im also tired of goin to get veggies 3-4 times a week....
so thru me researching about this i didnt just stay on the rescuers websites i jumped to the breeders sites (which is sacraligious to alot of rescuers (not me) ..im not close minded...some of u guys know ur poop,.,uve been playing with bunnies ALOT of bunnies for longer then alot of the rescuers i know..so experience is whats important to me ..altho some of the things u guys do ..i could NEVER imagine myself doin ever...i mean id rather jab a pencil in my OWN eye..but im smart enough to know that you guys are needed and this is how its done...
i think the reason why all the debates get so overheated is cuz the rescuers have so much passion for a living thing..almost too much...i know i have it and sometimes its hard to carry around in this world..
and the breeders have to view bunnies in a dif way ,,for business,for the competition ,for the longevity of every single beautiful breed out there...(i know alot of u love ur buns too its just a little dif then our almost unhealthy love that we have for em.

i think that if rescuers had our way ..wed screw it all up and every bunny out there would look like a heinz 57 cuz "we luvs em no matter what they look like"..but what a boring world that would be....
the breeders arent looking thru the same glasses ..they remove themselves somewhat from getting attached to these buns and do what needs to be done logically to make this breed flawless...seems brutal to some ...but smart to others..i see both sides..my brain understands why but my heart hurts just thinkin about it..ok done with that part..whoo i hope i worded that appropriately,,not trying to start a fight with anybody...just wanting to try and get everybody to understand that we need the breeders as much as we need the rescuers....wish we could all work together a little bit better for the buns sake....
and i dont have much to say about the genetic flaws subject ,,u guys pretty much answered that question for me..
u can somewhat remove some flaws but the person who gets the bun could just screw that up on their end with the wrong diet...
so there goes my dream of having the perfect specimen rabbit ...flawless in everyway...
hehe ill take em flaws and all..thanks again i really enjoyed reading this thread..
...Lisa and The HipHops

No such thing as a perfect human, so I guess it's the same with bunnies :biggrin2: Ya just gotta love them as they come and strive to give them the healthiest and natural balance. I think it would be impossible to eliminate the 'teeth problem' since it's um mechanical. I mean, even a rabbit with perfect teeth can have teeth overgrown if there's nothing in the diet to file them down. I think you cannot get get a perfect rabbit because you can't really change the 'mechanics' or build. You can modify it but I don't think you can avoid certain things.

I try to think of what they eat naturally and go with that (well as I can) and then supplement the things missing since it's not all that feasible to go the all natural way. Right now, I play it safe because they are babies and still adjusting etc. but afterwards they will go on a mainly hay and fresh food diet with pellets supplementing (daily) and the occasional treats. Personally, I would strive for that no matter how many bunnies I would have. That's me, and that's only my opinion - not having issues with what anyone else does with their rabbits. :)

I will also be a bit brave and tempt to say this properly(might be a bit off topic but it should be noted):

I think it's very hard to compare what breeders feed and what rescuers feed. In general, from what I have seen, rescuers rarely have the resources to feed the bunnies what they would like to feed them so they make do with what they have most of the time. Breeders choose diets themselves and have the option of feeding what they want and how much they want more easily. Breeders can downsize if they need to modify the quality whereas rescuers are often overwhelmed and find themselves having to ration things more. Also, most of the rescues I knew had food donated or discounted so they used those since they could use the savings for vet care.

Latest posts

Back