Dealing with death of a mate

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 36388

Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve had my two mini-lops, Lila and Smokey for 5 years. They are a bonded pair and would often cuddle together and groom each other etc.
Sadly, we had to euthanise Lila yesterday as it was the most humane thing to do. Now, I don’t know what to do for Smokey. He is eating and runs up to get treats as he always has, yet still seems sad. I tried spending extra time with him today and put a cuddle toy + extra play things in his enclosure.
I don’t want to get another rabbit as I start university next year but I love Smokey and don’t want to have to rehome him.
What should I do?

Just wait and observe. It may take some time for him to adjust to life without Lila, but he may do just fine as a single bun. Many buns can do well as singles provided they are housed indoors and get plenty of roaming time and in proximity of their humans.

I agree. Just see and observe for now. Give it some time and just keep on existing for your bun. All is well when he's still eating, pooping and moving pretty much like normal.
My ladybun Iris spent a happy year or two with her husbun Storm, who was in the house first. When he didn't come back from the vets, Iris seemed really out of it but pulled back together quite a few weeks after that. She started looking for our attention in place of Storm and now she's been a well-adjusted single lady for half a year.

Hi,
I’ve had my two mini-lops, Lila and Smokey for 5 years. They are a bonded pair and would often cuddle together and groom each other etc.
Sadly, we had to euthanise Lila yesterday as it was the most humane thing to do. Now, I don’t know what to do for Smokey. He is eating and runs up to get treats as he always has, yet still seems sad. I tried spending extra time with him today and put a cuddle toy + extra play things in his enclosure.
I don’t want to get another rabbit as I start university next year but I love Smokey and don’t want to have to rehome him.
What should I do?
So sorry for the loss of Lila. We had the same sad thing happen to my daughters bonded bunny couple. Jett and Scarlett. Scarlett was the princess and always let Jett groom her and she barely groomed him! She became very sick literally over night last year and we also had to euthanize her. Jett seemed fine and was even binkying around..i felt so sad for him and spent extra time patting him and kissing his head- which he loves. I put a big soft toy in his area too. But he has truly just seemed to have been fine. Like you I am not able to get another rabbit. The bunnies have always lived inside and he had/has free reign of the kitchen/dining area. Scarlett used to get put into her pen at bedtime as she never got toilet trained.
So i reckon it's totally possible he will be ok. Best wishes :))

Back