Darker coloured Poop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeanluc_pippen_merry

Reaction score
I was out for most of the day today but made sure that both my bunnies had lots of fresh hay, water and pellets. They have 2, 250ml water bottles and they had finished about half of each, but Pippins poo was darker than usual. A dark brown colour. Usually they're a medium to light brown. I'm just wondering if he was dehydrated because it was warmer today. Was cool for most of the day but started getting warm at around lunch time. I've been watching him since i got home and he's eating and drinking as normal. Should i be worried?

It's not dehydration and it's nothing to worry about! As long as the poops are still a good size and crumbly/fibrous, rather than small and rock hard, I wouldn't be overly concerned. It's quite common for poops to vary in colour depending on what the bunny concerned has eaten and poops don't have to be golden to be healthy.

Hope this helps :)

The poops really depend on diet, I don't think they're as much a sign of health as I once did. Around here if they eat a lot of veggies, they're smaller, harder and darker, if they eat a lot of hay, they're larger, crumbly and lighter. I assume its just a different form of fiber -- wet and dry.

sas :bunnydance:

Aaaah i see. Well that day they got more pellets than i usually give them so maybe that was it. But i didn't give them any veggies in the morning, i gave it to them for dinner instead. So they just had hay and pellets.

Latest posts

Back