Crusty skin and hairloss?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
What could cause this around a bunnies genital area? I adopted this make rabbit from the SPCA last week, and all around his genital area is yellowed, crusty and smells a bit like wet dog (but is dry). Skin look s a bit red, a few small red bumps. His scent gland folds wont open, also his penis wont emerge when pressed on either side, it seems 'stuck'.

DSC09529.jpg

He also has thinning hair on his back with flaky skin and small red bumps, and hair loss in the general area (lower back next to spine). The area of main hair loss seems to be darker than the rest of his skin, and the skin around it is darker pink. It's about a 3 inch long patch of hair loss with more apparently coming out. He's not shedding anywhere else.

DSC09525.jpg

Any ideas? :?

the genital area would make me think of syphylis ( totally treatable)
but with the rest I am not sure..you should definitely visit a rabbit knowledgeable vet tomorrow.

Maureen

I'm waiting on the SPCA to call me back, they will see him for free within two weeks of adoption. Hopefully today as it's only 1pm here. Thanks for the advice :).

It's really looking like a fur mite/mange infestation.

If the genitals havescabbing/puss/yellow cystsI wouldalso suspect vent disease/syphilis. Before giving injectable PennG to treat, I would have the vet test to be certain. Not all bucks easily "show" when pressed.

I would recommend injectable Ivermectin for such a severe case of mitesas well as applying a little antibiotic ointment to the secondary infections.

Pam

Latest posts

Back