creepy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rosalie wrote:
She used the nest i built as a toilet and ate the hay :( and Idk if she is feeding them i built another nest with some of her fur and some papertowels
You are doing everything you can. regarding the feeding, check their bellies. She should be feeding them twice a day. Once in the morning and then early evening. You can tell if they are fed by their bellies. Hopefully someone with "hands on" experience can give you more info regarding the feeding. Sometime first time moms are held down for babies to be fed. First timers are clueless regarding babies. So your first time Mom having 5 healthy kits is amazing.

I know it's nerve racking. I would be nervous too. And will be my first time, but keep posting. You will definitely get some good advise here. Check out the library section on babies. Lots of good stuff there.

Please keep us posted.

K :)

If they have nice round bellies (look like they've swallowed ping pong balls) then they are being fed. Don't worry if you don't see her feeding them--it happens very quickly and is easy to miss. Just make sure the babies stay warm, that is usually the biggest problem. If you get us some more photos we can probably tell you how they look. Is there a runt or a peanut in the litter?

2012-02-02_202520.jpg

They look pretty good to me! I only have two concerns: in the last photo, is looks like that spotted one on the top by the gray one is the smallest. Am I right? Luckily though it doesn't look too much like a peanut though, perhaps just a runt (which is genetically different than a peanut and has a better chance for survival.) Perhaps it's just the way he's positioned, but that gray one looks like he has a very "hippo" like appearance. That could be a Max factor baby, but again it's hard to tell. Maybe his head is just a biggun. But otherwise everyone looks really good and healthy! You're doing a great job. :)

If I were you I would try to add some more insulating material though. Pull more fur from Mom and maybe add some hay.

My heartfelt condolences for the loss. I don't know or have experience with first time mom's, but will in the future. Hear it's really tough and it's considered a real blessing if first time moms kits make it to weaning stage. Unfortunately, it's a hard fact of life.

Hoping smoother days ahead for you and the kits.

K :)

Back