Craigslist

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess rabbits aren't suppose to come with ears and not smell. Sorry couldn't help it. I'm in that kind of mood. I agree people suck.

That rabbit needs to get out of that home asap.

With that first ad, the woman with the 5 year old is actually very nice, just mis-informed about what bunny ownership is really like. She emailed me requesting more info on what bunnies are really like to own and if I had any suggestions for good pets. I'm glad she emailed me, I was trying to just be informative to her so she wouldn't get herself into something she would regret.

It is pretty common for people (before owning a bunny) to think they are just laid back chilled out fuzzballs who look cute and just stay in a cage and munch stuff day to day. They have no idea it is like owning a very smart, mischief loving, attention/snuggle needy, mess making 2 year old who needs constant daily interaction and training during the first 1 1/2 - 2years for house proofing and learning commands, etc. I told her basically at that age, she would be the main caretaker if it was a bunny, dog, cat, etc because they are too much for a 5 year old to maintain completely on their own.

I suggested possibly a sweet tempered guinea pig or hamster and to make sure she knows how to handle it properly so they don't get injured. They also have short lifespans so would be less of a commitment. Or if she was ok with being the main care-taker, getting a sweet smaller breed puppy like a cocker spaniel would be good, they are great with little kids.

She did not realize that getting a bunny for her 5 year old really would be too overwhelming, for her too I think because she would be the main caretaker as a result. I told her that even for me, as an adult bunny owner, they can be a big commitment and responsibility.

When I was 5, I grew up on a little farm and I was responsible for feeding our cats daily, feeding our ducks and chickens, taking care of their pens. I think a 5 year old (especially a sweet one) would be able to be responsible with a pet, but not by themselves without a parent participating in case they forget to feed the pet or give it water, etc.

I was wondering about that, why she picked to reply to me if others had sent info, too :p. I figured if she really for whatever reason has her heart set on owning a bunny over anything else (which is doesn't sound like it) she would email me back about more info for bunny ownership. Is clearly really is just a pet for her daughter.. so a hamster or guinea pig seems like the best move.

I came accross this today on freecycle (similer to craigslist) and it just never amazes me the things people do.

"> I work for a realtor that manages foreclosed homes. At one of our
> properties, someone abandoned an adorable white bunny with grey ears.
> I REALLY don't want to take it to the animal shelter. I am afraid of
> what would happen if nobody adopts it. Since I have no idea how old he
> is, this may not be a good first-time pet. I wouldn't want any kid
> being traumatized by a short-lived bunny. But maybe if you already
> have other rabbits he/she would be a good addition.
>
> Someone please take him!! (her?)"

I have contacted the poster, offering to foster. :grumpy:I hate people.

Thankfully persons will reach out. Ditto the comment on cruel people, people oblivious to _pain and feelings_ of other creatures.

The realtor prob'bly ain't aware that shelters are getting full UP, so walk in the door, and that surrendered pet doesn't have an empty cage space. Injection, Dead, Done. Died humanely, which is a heckuva lot better than other means.

A **TON** of Education is NEEDED YET ! Great to see RO' members will do what they can to teach and inform!

What a caring person you are Becknutt for offering to foster.

People...

The ones on craigslist in my area....

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/pet/915259705.html

"I have 3 Baby dwarf Rabbits for free 3 white,,born sept 11/08 "

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/pet/911976842.html

"Hi, Am looking for a new home for my pet tame bunny. Not sure of the sex or breed. Approximately 11 months old. I think he is a mini rex breed but am not sure. Is black with white paws. Loves to explore and be petted but is afraid of heights hence you have to lift him like you a carrying a baby...."

And for Kijiji...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-to-give-or-donate-2-BUNNYS-for-FREE-W0QQAdIdZ86437543

"I have two rabbits looking for a home. One is white the other is black both have blue eyes and are about 10 months old. Cage and water bottle are included."

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-to-give-or-donate-FREE-Cuddly-Fluffy-Bunny-W0QQAdIdZ85753143

"Im offering a grey rabbit FREE to a good home, this rabbit has her own custom built cage, and she has almost 40lbs of food and water bottle! "MUST FIND HER A GOOD HOME SOON"

I recently moved into my house and this poor rabbit was left behind seeing she wasnt able to go with her owners to their new home, I was willing to take care of her until they could find her a new home, but I believe theyve now forgotten about their fuzzy little friend!
Im unable to take care of her much longer seeing I have a full sized dog which doesnt understand shes a pet!
If you have a warm place to keep her and a warm heart to care for this friendly, fuzzy little bunny, Im unable to keep her inside my house seeing my dog wont leave her alone and I dont want to she her freeze with the winter months coming upon us quickly!
If transportation is an issue, please call, if the distance isnt to great ill be willing too work something out for you to have her delivered! I just dont want too see anything bad happen to this fuzzy, friendly lil bunny!!! "

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-Mini-LOP-for-sale-W0QQAdIdZ86762657

" have a 4 month old mini lop for sale. He is a silver tipped steel (rare color), very friendly and doesnt mind being held. Would be a great pet for kids. He doesnt come with anything, as I have been keeping him with my other rabbits outside."

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-DWARF-BUNNY-W0QQAdIdZ86627776

"
FREE DWARF BUNNY
to a good home

Cute as a button
White & Grey
Small dwarf bunny - full grown
about 2 years old
Comes with plastic cage, litter, food, water bottle and dish"

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-pets-for-sale-Gorgeous-Rabbits-PRICE-DROP-W0QQAdIdZ86613304

This one has several rabbits for sale with a "price drop".

I don't like the fates of any of these rabbits nor do I like the people giving them away for free when they probably bred them (like the three baby rabbits for free). Don't like the idea of them staying outside either in a Canadian winter.

I spoke to rescuer of that "little white bunny" and she said she responded to older post from a lady who's kid "really really wants a bunny." I gave her some advice to pass on to them aboutthe care and expenses rabbits require and she is going to ask some questions and make sure she gets a good vibe from the people before letting them take him/her. I asked her to call meback and let me know how it goes and also passed on my phone number and the forum address to the potential adopter.She was very appreciative and seemed caring. She does not want the bun to go to a good home.

Oh the story on the bun. He/she has been living loose in the backyard, and appears to have made his home under a shed. No visable food/water/hay was available. Though there was grass...which is at least better than nothing. She said he was too fast for her to catch alone and it took 3 of them about2 hours. So he is going to need some help trusting humans, andis absolutely not going to be thecuddly littlelow maintenance petthatI'm sure these peopleare looking for.

Dublinperky wrote:
I just looked at craigslist and almost all of them say " we don't have time for it anymore" I just hate that! One of them say they bought him a month ago but now isn't getting enough attention and not getting enough room! They have only had him for a month! Here is the link..... http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pet/912941258.html

Aly!:X
That one looks like a young Flemish.....:(

New ones near me :(

Giant Flemish Rabbit. $275. Beautiful light brown female (fixed), full grown, 16 lbs, healthy, litter box trained. Intelligent (for a rabbit), she will come to you to be petted or scratched if you thump the floor, has learned the word “No,” and when feeling playful will jump straight up in the air and run around in circles. She is very affectionate. She is currently living with a dog in a very friendly relationship.

Includes a large “store bought” wood hutch with removable tray, in almost new condition, and a vinyl covered metal cage with removable tray, in almost new condition.

This is not a rabbit for small children but she is extremely social and needs to be around people and possibly other pets. Best living conditions are on screened porch with her wood hutch during mild weather and indoors where she can run free at least part of the day during freezing weather and summer heat. Because she is so large, she needs running and stretching out room and will not thrive being cooped up in a cage or hutch all the time.

She eats kibble, timothy hay, dark lettuce, spinach, etc.

I love my Bunny, she has been a wonderful pet. Please don’t take this rabbit unless you are sure you are able to give her the best possible home wth running room (a tiled kitchen and dining room is very workable) and some daily attention.

Call, 904-234-8395 or email

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/grd/913241084.html

(she's gorgeous!)

dwarf rabbit $30

Its is a boy just weaned from mom should stay around 3 pounds very friendly.
No pedigree but wonderful pet.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/grd/912370228.html

(looks like it barely has its eyes open)

Young Dwarf Rabbit. Gray with brown pattern. Healthy but not the most friendly. Does not bite. Includes hand made ceramic bowl and log (Has her name "Honey" on them), water bottle, some carrots, partial bag of timothy hay, and partial bag of rabbit pellets. Some what litter pan trained. Cage not included.
904-8816265 or email.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/for/911971363.html

(so what are they doing with the cage???)

Needs to move on. We do not have space to keep him because we have around six litters on the way. Distinct markings. Thank you for looking at this ad. call (904)-327-2134 or email at [email protected]

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/grd/906750225.html

(out with the old, in with the new????? :( )

I have a Dutch buck brown & white, no pedigree approx. 1 1/2 years old. To loving home only and not for snake food. Litter trained and very sweet even for younger child/children, he's not shy and won't run away.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/grd/906004295.html

(sigh)

4H-er's Look here RARE breed bunnies - $45 (middleburg)

I am the onlybreeder in florida with the Polish breed rabbit. My polish are 3 pounds or less. They are alot calmer and friendlier than the netherland dwarfs.
Pedigreed great bloodlines. $45 with pedigree. Only 2 left. Email for more info.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/grd/903719103.html

(this is the EXACT same photo from the one above who said it was a DWARF!!! The person seems to be oblivious to the fact that both posts are going to show on the same page!!!)

wow.....when i was a kid i used to get mad b/c the only pet we were able to have was a yellow canary that sang ALL DAY LONG!! well we had a dog for a while until i almost ended up in the hospital....another long story. anyway my sister and i used to keep pet rocks....i know don't laugh. but i remember begging my mom for hamsters and g.p.'s. After reading all that on craigslist i can see why my mom limited our pets. well also b/c we cried our eyes out when punky (the dog) had to find a new home. But this is insane how many animals are homeless. I think i need to go snuggle my Liffey right now and tell him how he'll never end up homeless like all those other animals....even if it means living in the forrester!!!

I get really mad at some of the people on Craigslist. I hate reading these scenarios:

I need to rehome my pet because...
- ... my wife is pregnant.
- ... I am pregnant.
- ... children do not care for him/her anymore.
- ... I do not have time for them. (I can understand SOME of these)
- ... the novelty wore off (and I am being forced to be responsible! Oh noes! You FAIL)
- ... my new boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't like them.

I really wish I could have the legal right to slap some people. You know, the insult-slap with the little glove? I've always wanted to do that :biggrin2:

One of the most useful tools we have as RO members is the forum itself.

I've found it beneficial to e-mail people from ad sites, to give them gentle encouragement and avice, as well as a link to this forum so they can see for themselves how situations can be resolved - or at minimum offer them a more "safe" environment to rehome their rabbit in, if it absolutely falls to that extreme.

One of my biggest fears overall with doing that is to have one follow my guidance and then come to the forum to see their ad torn apart by fellow members.

:?

The oneI have heard most often is the "I don't have time to care for it anymore". Like you had it in the first place! And they all seem to think they are being responsible by dumping the rabbit off on someone else, because of course that shelter/rescue person has far more time on their hands. I was really blown away by the people that surrendered Toby to me, this woman had had him for seven years and only now figured out he wasn't getting enough attention. Toby was so matted with feces that when I put him in my car I had to roll the windows down he smelled so bad. And it's not like they couldn't afford vet care, they drove up in a newer BMW and handed me $355 in cash like it was nothing.

Ok, my little rant is done now. :p

kherrmann3 wrote:
I get really mad at some of the people on Craigslist. I hate reading these scenarios:

I need to rehome my pet because...
- ... my wife is pregnant.
- ... I am pregnant.
- ... children do not care for him/her anymore.
- ... I do not have time for them. (I can understand SOME of these)
- ... the novelty wore off (and I am being forced to be responsible! Oh noes! You FAIL)
- ... my new boyfriend/girlfriend doesn't like them.

I really wish I could have the legal right to slap some people. You know, the insult-slap with the little glove? I've always wanted to do that :biggrin2:
i feel so blessed......doug gives in to all my animal whims. i have 5 birds and got this grand idea to make an aviary out of an old china hutch. so of course doug got stuck hauling the hutch. then when i realized i couldn't do all the wood work myself doug went online to learn stuff since he didnt' know what to do either. then he ended up building it..lol...then the same thing happened with liffey's cage. i had this great idea in my head of what i wanted to make but it ended up being harder than i thought. i got stressed and then doug ended up finishing the project. i am soooo lucky to have him and that he supports my love for my pets.

JadeIcing wrote:
I refuse to look on craigslist. I know I will find unwanted animals. So why torture myself.
I feel the same way, but I still do that to myself. I don't even know why!

I had to go on there yesterday to see if anyone lost a little black kitty :p I don't want to take someone's pet to the Humane Society to be put down. I emailed some people, no response
:hanging:

Back