Coulee Region Humane Society - SW Wisconsin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi.. This is an up-date on the Coulee RegionHumane Society bunnies. Buck is still at Petco..he has much more room,is very happy, but has still not been adopted. He would be required tobe neutered so this could be one of the reasons. When we receive thegrant from the Petco foundation our bunnies will bealteredbefore they go to the store and the adoption rate willbe $50.00. :mrsthumper:Athena ,our sweet little female mix has beenadopted by one of the shelter staff and hopefully will get propertreatment for her eye. This is wonderful as we almost never get ourrabbits adopted and Everyone loves this very lady-like sweetheart....Ashton..the small cocoa bean (part Dwarf) is still at the shelter anddesperately needs love. He came in with his mother and sister and isnow alone........In mid- February the shelter worker who is fosteringPrincess ( Ashton's mom") and her 6 new babies ( a sad surprise) willbring mom and babies back to the shelter and we will have an overflow.I',m afraid that Spunky is getting more nervous and stressed everyday.I don't know why. I know that in Feb. we will not be able tosave all of these bunnies due to space. We can adopt out of our area(southwestern Wi.) if the rabbit is altered before he leaves us.Despite the fact that we have somany pets, the shelter isvery strict in adoption procedure. The shelter feels that any dog, cat,rabbit or bird must only go to a home were the people will give theanimal a really good and healthy life. I know that there are multiplepeople like that on this site ....if you have the love, money anddesire to adopt please let me or Lissa know. I feel that Spunky willnot be with us much longer...he is the least easy to handle. Lissaposted their pictures earlier under this topic or go to Coulee RegionHumane Society........please

This is bad. I don't know what it is,but the SheboyganHumane Society has more rabbits than everand their adoption records are pretty low too. I talked tosomeone there at Christmas, and they were looking into placing some atone of the pet stores in town. I hope at the Petsmart,whichadopts outshelter cats.

Poor Spunky. I know Mocha and Sprite would be the same way if they were in a shelter.

I'm so happy that Athena is being adopted. It's kind of bittersweet though. I will miss her.

Hi Lissa....Iwill miss her too...yesterdaybefore I left I whispered to her "I love you". Athena really is specialas the employee at Petco <Amanda was seriously preparing toadopt her so she did get more interest than most. But she will have agood home with Erica.

Spunky is a very playful, but nervous,rabbit. He's quite timid at first but opens up after he getsto trust you. I want to say that Spunky is about 5pounds. He's a very cute bunny. I'm surprised he'sbeen there as long as he has.

He is not neutered and we don't know how old heis. I'm not sure if he'd get along with otherrabbits. I don't think that something like that canbe determined without first introducing them. They do adoptout of state but they require that the animal be fixed before leavingthe state.

Spunky is less than a year old, a little over 5lbs, has been at the shelter since about Sept. Recently I moved hiscage into the cat adopt room where he could be seen by thepublic...this was a mistake for him as at thistimeas he is easily frightened when handled. If heis placed into an enclosed area to run freehe is happiest,very curious , and loves to explore. I have been taking him every Sunto Petco so the public could see him but that is also stressing himout. I would adopt him myself as he is very cute and sweet but I justrecently adopted 2 males from the shelter and I just don'thave the room. He srill needs to be neutered but has had a health chechwithin the last 2 weeks and is fine. Right now I think his problem isbeing at the shelter too long..he used to be in the same room with Buckand Pudgey..now Buck is at Petco and I adopted Pudgey 24 hrs before hewas scheduled to be "put down"..now Spunky isn't around the rabbitsthat he was used too. He is a wonderful ,goofy little guy. Lissa callshim Charlie. Think about it

angieluv wrote:
Spunky is less than a year old,
I don't think we're quite sure of this. It's practicallyimpossible to know for sure how old he is. Regardless, he's asweety. ;)

angieluv wrote:
I think that he's really young Lissa because he was about1/2 the size that he is now wnen we first got him.;)
In my opinion, he is not under 1 year old. I can tell by his nails.

Spunky is now at the Petco store in Onalaska awaiting a new home. He has more room to run and is happy with that but is still awaiting the perfect person to love him. it is harder on bunnies like Spunky to live like this because he is scared and unsure anyway. He is doing OK but We are still awaiting the person that will give him the consistency in his life that he so desperately needs. :D

There is a new rabbit at the humane society named Chip. I have to get pictures of him yet. :)

Just wanted to say hey (hay?) and if someone wants one of these bunnies and needs a halfway transporter, I'm from Onalaska and go back frequently, so we'd be happy to pick up one and bring him/her back to Milwaukee, or even downto Chicago so someone could take him/her. :)

Wish we could take one, but we may have to give away our gracie as is. :(

hello,I tried to quote to make this message easily understood however I am quote challenged.UGH!! You have to live within 50 miles of the humane societies in order to adopt which is riddiculous. I had this problem when I tried to adopt as well as the many other restrictions. I ended up buying a rabbit, who I love dearly at a pet store. I swore I would never do that and infact we researched all the rescues in the area before finally getting my rabbbit. They wonder why they have so many rabbits and why they needlessly die. The loving homes that want to save lives can't because for whatever reason they can't get 3 referrals from friends or don't live close enough to the shelter.good luck, I hope these poor babies get a home before it is too late. Is there a way to change the policies in cases where animals are dying? Can they find foster homes?thanks for your time,mandy

Mandy, not all shelters have the distance restriction. But I can see why they do that. They screen applicants to make sure they will be giving the animal a good home. They call landlords and some will even make house visits. And they usually adopt out animals with a contract saying that the animal should be returned to them if it can not be kept. How many people would drive 50 miles to get an animal, then drive it back later when they can't keep it anymore?

As frustrating as the rules seem, they are for the good of the animals. They need to be sure that the animals will be taken care of, and unfortunately you just can't take a person's word as truth today. Sometimes humane societies will work with other shelters to get animals to new homes. For example, Dootsmom was having a special needs rabbit in California flown to her in New England.

Latest posts

Back