Coulee Region Humane Society - SW Wisconsin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
angieluv wrote:
Spunky is now at the Petco store in Onalaska awaiting a new home. He has more room to run and is happy with that but is still awaiting the perfect person to love him. it is harder on bunnies like Spunky to live like this because he is scared and unsure anyway. He is doing OK but We are still awaiting the person that will give him the consistency in his life that he so desperately needs. :D
How is Spunky doing? Am I correct that he has to be adopted within a 50 mile area? Or not?

I know....I don't need another rabbit. But sometimes - if they just have that love....they do so well...and I feel so bad for him.

I better not write anymore before I start to cry for him...but do keep us updated.

Peg

I would take him but I can't afford the $50 fee plus the plane far and crate and stuff right now....

mskoala..1st of all thanks for the offer which it is possible that we could utilize..Baci..I have to check the rules again but I think that we can adopt out over a 50 mile radius as long as the animal has a health check and is altered before he/she leaves the shelter Since the Petco foundation grant has not gone through yet the charge for the healthcheck and the neuter/spay is the responsibility of the prospective adopter in addition to a 15.00 adoption fee. As far asI know right now an application could be done over the telephone. If the animal is too young to be altered then a person over 50 miles would have to adopt an older animal. Spunky is doing better at Petco than he did at the shelter as he has more room and has more vision because of the octagon glass animal displays. Buck was adopted yesterday which means he is nowthe first rabbit from Coulee Region to be adopted out from the Petco store. i will check with the shelter website to be sure that what I have told you is accurate

Thank you, your explanation makes perfect sense. I thought I read somewhere that someone said they wondered why there were so many rabbits in the shelters. That was what I was responding to. I just feel that the restrictions sometimes get in the way. I also wish people realized what a wonderful addition to the family a bunny can be. I responded to a no kill shelter by our home and was told to search elsewhere since I had a 5 yr old son and probably did not have enough time for a rabbit in our home. I guess you can say I am a little sensitive to the issue. Again I appologize if I offended anyone and feel for those of you that donate your time at the shelters and have to watch such a sad situation.mandy

:D We have rules regarding rabbits going to homes with small children unless we were totally sure that a parent was going to care for the bunny and totally supervise the interaction between the child and the rabbit as rabbits are often difficult for young children to handle and either one could injure the other. I understand how you feel about the no-kill shelter because you could be a very good rabbit owner and it could feel insulting to be deniedparticularly if you know that you would be a good owner. Some shelters are more lenient than others but I think that many feel that they don't want the animal to have another bad experience and end up at some other shelter. The rules make it easier to make a decision but maybe some potentially good owners are denied and vice versa. Our shelter bases most of its decision on medical treatment of present and past pets, living arrangements (animals must be kept indoors and not allowed to roam), interaction between the family and the pet and overall assessment of the whole situation. I vary between thinking that they are too strict and then sometimes being glad that they are when I Know an animal I love is going to a really good home. In my area there is very little interest in adoption of rabbits which is very depressing.

Thank you and good luck! Those animals are very lucky to have such a caring person to love them while they are there.mandy

SUCCESS STORY! Buck (n/k/a George) has FINALLY been adopted!! He is in a very loving home with full run 24/7!! Yay!!

WI04.5012616-1-x.jpg

Congratulations on a job well done!! All that makes me think of is an episode of Bugs bunny where a giant ( I think) picks up little bugs bunny and says " I will hug him and love him and name him George".

:DWell I have an up-date on the CouleeRegion rabbits. Spunky has been adopted and will go to his new homeafter Easter. Because we got the spay/neuter grant Spunky was neuteredon Mon. and is recovering at a staff members home. We had a seminarlast Sat. which was open to other humane societies. Dane County saw howcrowded our little room is and took the mother rabbit Princess and 2 ofher babies (Logan and Bailey) to Madison where they will be altered andadopted out. The adoption rate is higher in madison. Chip was neuteredyesterday and will go to Petco when he recovers. This whole thing isstarting to come together in the way I had envisioned it. :D

Latest posts

Back