Could this give me a good generalization?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Konotashi

Reaction score
I was sort of thinking - since I'm going to be getting another rabbit, I wanted to see if Salem would get along with other buns.

I know that each pairing is different and he won't act the same with everyone, but I was curious if I took him to a rabbit rescue and introduce him to some bunnies, could that give me a good generalization of how he'll act with a new bun?

A rabbit may act very differently out of their own territory, so it won't necessarily be a good indicator. The risk of disease spread is also a concern when taking your rabbit into another population.

Pam

Konotashi wrote:
I was sort of thinking - since I'm going to be getting another rabbit, I wanted to see if Salem would get along with other buns.

I know that each pairing is different and he won't act the same with everyone, but I was curious if I took him to a rabbit rescue and introduce him to some bunnies, could that give me a good generalization of how he'll act with a new bun?
I wouldn't lead a rescue on like that, it isn't fair - they will be thinking they have a potential adopter. Plus, most rescues talk to you before hand and you have applications to fill out before you can do bunny dates. I am going through this now with BHRR.

I think you should just adopt from a rescue, honestly. If you are already wanting to go there to see if Salem will get along with other buns, then why not just adopt? Again, Salem needs to pick his own rabbit. It is only $50 to adopt from BHRR and the buns are already altered.

I was going to e-mail the rescue if I could do bunny dates without adopting.

I would LOVE to adopt, and there are a few bunnies in there that I think are absolutely gorgeous, but I have to get a rabbit for FFA.

Konotashi wrote:
I was going to e-mail the rescue if I could do bunny dates without adopting.

I would LOVE to adopt, and there are a few bunnies in there that I think are absolutely gorgeous, but I have to get a rabbit for FFA.
I honestly do not think a rescue will do that.

Can rabbits for FFA not be spayed or neutered?

I don't think that I could show an altered rabbit, or I would show Salem again this year. I'm going to talk to the head of the Ag. department on Monday to ask him.

Hi! I know that in 4-H they usually have a "pet class" of bunnies that can be spayed or neutered. It may be the same for FFA. Depending on who carries out the bunny dates, it may be a big deal for the rescue or it may not. If it's just a normal volunteer, they would probably be there socializing the rabbits any way, so it would be not a big deal. However, we set up appointments with our Adoption Counsellors to do bunny dates, because they're much better at "reading" the behaviors. That's a bigger deal, and they might not be happy that you're wasting their time.

The thing is, if you get a bunny that will be his bond mate it would be very unlikely you could seperate them to show her/him and then bring the bunny back and they instantly be like they where. Rabbits are about habit, when their mate leaves them and comes back much of the time they do not see them the same and must be rebonded.

I do not really see the reason in showing a rabbit you do not plan on breeding. I mean, why risk their heath for something that is basicly worthless? I mean yeah, it is fun and is nice to say "My rabbit placed --" but it is of no value to a rabbit not used in production.

Have you thought about, if it is that important to you, maybe getting him a mate and then a single bunny to show?

Latest posts

Back