Could something be wrong with my baby?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
I learn something from everyone that postshere. Keeping in mind the symptoms that our dear Maxieexhibited before he crossed The Rainbow Bridge, I watch Shermanclosely.

I've noticed of late that Sherman has been drinking an extraordinaryamount of water. In fact, if I had to quantify it I would saythat he drinks about four times as much as he usually has in the past(he's never been a big water drinker before). Along withthis, although he's not having peeing accidents, he's peeing more inhis litter box (naturally with the amount of water that he'sconsuming). Finally, he's sleeping a lot more. NowI know that I've been confining him more until we get his "naughtybunny" situation under control, but he sure is sleeping a lot.

I would attribute the drinking behavior to the hot weather asthe temperatures here have been consistently hitting the high 80s and90s, but I've been running the air conditioner at full speed along witha low speed fan just for him continually. In fact, it's socool down here that I have to put on a sweater when I'm working.

It could be that I'm just being my usual paranoid bunny mommy self, butI always err to the side of caution where my sweet baby isconcerned.

Anyone have any insights on this? Should I whisk him off to the emergency room?

P.S. His poops have not changed in color, size, orconsistency. Urine doesn't seem to exhibit excessive calciumdeposits.

P.P.S. Doesn't seem to be in pain or discomfort as his earsare up and relaxed when he's lying down and body is stretched out, mosttimes with feet "kicked back" behind him.

Hi bunnymommy,

from your discription and the fact that there are no other obvioussigns of infection or wounds etc. I would go with the assumption thatit is just the weather causing the excessive drinking. The only otherthought would be a possible Diabetic problem. I do not knowhow often orif very many rabbit are effected by same. It would I believe have to bea genetic trait.You sayyourrabbit is lathargic andcontantly tired that is what leads me to believe the possibility ofDiabetes. I hope I am wrong, but you might want to look into it.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Thanks so much for your help, Dennis!:) I think that I may just make a doctor's appointment to beon the safe side as diabetes was in the back of my mind.

BunnyMommy,

I have nothing to add but my support, prayers and love. I'll follow this post.

Dennis raises a most interesting point. It would be right up Sherman's alley too.

-Carolyn

Thank you, Carolyn! I'm hoping thatthis is just a false alarm, but it's always better to be safe thansorry.

Buck, the ray of hope that I picked up from thisarticle is that one of the symptoms is weight loss. MySherman, though, is a real little piglet right now... ...:).

Going to try to get his appointment at the first ofthe week.

BunnyMommy, I hope our Sherman is OK.My first rabbit, Fudge, always drank a lot from us first having her. Itook her to the vet and he said she drank 4 times what a rabbit of hersize should be drinking, and , like you say, she could have pee'd forEngland. He did tests for diabetes, but they all turned out negative,and nothing else was found. She went on to have 3 very happyyears and eventually passed away from something unrelated. Hope thisgives you a bit of comfort. Huge comforting hugs to you and Sherman -Jan

Sounds to me the weather, and being in a smaller space makes it hotter, so he might not beas comfortable as usual.

Dearest BunnyMommy,

Remember Buck Jones's post querying rabbit's ability to pick up thingsthat we can't? I wonder if Sherman knew, before anyone else did, thatsomething was coming.

I definitely do not wish you to discount the valuable and helpful advice given above.

I just find the timing of Sherman's lethargy to be a bit coincidental.

The old saying goes: "Coincidence is God's way of remaining Anonymous."

In this case? Maybe, Maybe Not.

Love,
-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back