Could my Holland Lop actually be a Mini Lop?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybun

Reaction score
Hi everybody!

A quick update: I was able to find a rabbit savvy vet in the area, and have already booked an appointment for Winston!

When I was making the appointment, I was asked what breed Winston was. I told them that he is a Holland Lop, but he does seem a little big.

I was told that he is a Holland Lop by the breeder, but the breeder wasn't somebody I really trusted in the first place. Winston does seem a little on the larger side, and his face isn't really pushed in at all. I haven't gotten him weighed yet, but he'll be weighed at the vet's office soon.

Mr. Winston.jpg

Lomogram_2013-07-19_12-57-11-PM.jpg

Lomogram_2013-07-21_08-43-02-PM.jpg

BlzC3e8.gif

1150160_10200427783359801_918511349_n.jpg

Wait until he is over 6 months of age, the weigh him if he is over 6 pounds I would say mini. He could just be a pet quality holland lop which means he isnt going to have the small body and pushed in bulldog head. He does seem like a pet quality holland lop to me.

I guess there's nothing I can do but wait until he stops growing and then weigh him! There shouldn't be any complications at the vet's office if I'm not a hundred percent sure of his breed, right?

WP_20130719_018.jpg

WP_20130816_001.jpg

He reminds me of a holland lop with a narrow head, slipped crown and long ears, You just have to wait it out to be positive.

looks pet quality Holland lop...and even they can reach 6 lbs.

Most of the time some pet quality lops will reach 5 pounds, at least with the pet quality hollands around here it is very uncommon for a pet quality holland to reach 6 pounds at a healthy weight. However many spayed and neutered rabbits are overweight so that is a good thing to point out. When looking at the weight make sure the rabbit is at a healthy weight, or take into consideration that the rabbit is a little heavier. ( Dont worry I'm not saying anything to the bunny vet :p, we all sneak our rabbits and extra midnight treat lol ;) )

There definitely won't be any problem at the vet if you're slightly off with the breed. I doubt most vets would even tell the difference between holland and mini lop. lol

This is interesting, what IS the difference between pet quality hollands and minis? I always thought hollands just had shorter ears. This bun looks very much like my two pet minis.

To me, Hollands have thinner faces than Mini's, plus, the Mini's have longer, wider ears. This may just be my experience, but it could also be a fact. Also, of course, Mini's are a couple pounds heavier.

Just do a Google search and look around for a while. You'll find the differences eventually! XD

He is a Mini Lop. My bunny looks just like that and yesterday at a show the judge said he was a Mini Lop. So there you have it, he's a Mini.

The difference between Holland Lops and Mini Lops is largely structural. Holland Lops are a compact breed with an upright posture, and Mini Lops have a more commercial-type pose, although they're also a compact body type. Show quality Holland Lops are smaller than Mini Lops, have shorter ears, and have heavy bone/mass in proportion to their bodies.

With a rabbit that isn't show-typed, it can be very difficult to distinguish between Holland/Mini. Weights can be the same, looks can be similar, etc.

If the breeder told you your rabbit was a Holland, I would believe that. The breeder may or may not be working with top quality animals, but that doesn't mean they don't know what breed they're working with. He looks like he has Holland-like features to me. :)

The difference between Holland Lops and Mini Lops is largely structural. Holland Lops are a compact breed with an upright posture, and Mini Lops have a more commercial-type pose, although they're also a compact body type. Show quality Holland Lops are smaller than Mini Lops, have shorter ears, and have heavy bone/mass in proportion to their bodies.

With a rabbit that isn't show-typed, it can be very difficult to distinguish between Holland/Mini. Weights can be the same, looks can be similar, etc.

If the breeder told you your rabbit was a Holland, I would believe that. The breeder may or may not be working with top quality animals, but that doesn't mean they don't know what breed they're working with. He looks like he has Holland-like features to me. :)

This is almost the exact thing I was going to say. She looks Holland lop to me. I thought the same thing about the breeder, why would you not trust him? I would go with what the breeder has said.

Cute and healthy--healthy is all that matters to us. One of our rescues was supposed to be part English Spot and full grown--she weighed 7 pounds. A year goes by, she's now almost 20 pounds and I found out she's a pure Checkered Giant. Very healthy girl too, but not nearly full grown or a year old like what we were told.

Back