could my bunny be pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She may be looking okay because the pain meds are still working, don't be surprised that when they wear off, the poor little girl looks miserable.Although she may take it better seeing as giving birth was probably no picnic,either. It's just a guess, but the bunnies who werefeeling perfectly normal before having some of their inisides removed may beshocked because they'retotally unprepared for it. Tofu may have an advantage.

If she goes24hours without eating, she'll need vet care again. (Pipp,who's quite thewimp at the best of times, looked awful and didn't eat for 23 hours).

Give her a kiss for me. (And sorry, I forgot to give you more hay and a carrier or two!

sas :clover:

thanks for the advice! i'll definitely continue to keep an eye on her and give her her meds tmr morning.

don't worry about the hay and the carrier! dawn gave me lots before we went over... and i have a little plastic box i used as carrier today :)

it was nice meeting you again and sorry if i seemed a bit out of it today! Just was worrying about the little one

I would giver her the night to relax and recover a bit and then give her about a half to a full syring of pellet mush from your big syringe. Then give her the pain meds.

She seemed perkier than most of the girls I've had after spaying, so I expect she'll handle it well.

I'm glad she likes the to well and rice socks! Poor little naked tummy makes it hard to stay warm.

--Dawn

Hopefully she'll be nibbling on hay and pellets and she won't need to be syringe-fed, or at least picked up and syringe-fed. I hate doing that after surgery, it's really not advisable tohold them if it can be avoided a tall.

She just has to eat (and drink) enough to help the pain meds -- they need to be given with food to a well-hydrated bunny --and then the pain meds should make her feel well enough to eat on her own. (Chicken or the egg syndrome).Unless she's one of those bunnies who loses her appetite on Metacam, there are a few like that.

Has she had canned pumpkin before? It may be an idea to give her a bit with the meds.And/or seeing as she's going tobe introduced to veggies soon anyways,trywaving asprig of parsley under her nose. Most bunnies, if you wave the stemin front of their mouths for long enough, will get mad and grab it out of your hand, then decide it tastes good and eat it!

And/or maybe a little juice in her water, if she's used to having a bit of fruit as a treat.

Enticements are the best ticket. Just not too much of anything strange.

sas :)

I showed her how to syringe fed with out having to hold the bun. Just put her on a towel on the floor or sit her on your lap. I did it with Wildfire after her spay, and it worked well.

Hopefully she'll be eating by the morning and you won't have to syringe her any pellet slurry.

Tofu also got a dose of sub-q when she went under to help counter act the hemorrhaging, so that should help keep her hydrated.

--Dawn

How is she doing? Is she eating yet?

For some reason, all three of my girls after their spays would really only eat food if I held it for them. Veggies, hay, the odd treat. If I held it for them, it was "special" and they were far more likely to eat it than if it was in their normal bowl or hay rack.

she's sorta eating... i see her munching on hay slowly...and i syringe fed her before giving her her pain meds. how do you tell if she's taken it in and if it's working? just by the way she looks? poor lil one :(

That's good that she's eating. As long as she's eating something and pooping something, it's okay if she doesn't eat as much as normal right now.

My girls were all pretty sore for the first day or two. The only pain meds they got was an injection after the surgery.But you have to figure that even with lots of pain meds, they'll still be sore because their bellies were opened up. I bet she'll feel a lot better tomorrow.

If she's munching on hay, even slowly, that's a good sign. She'll probably be sleepy and not move around much for today and possibly tomorrow. Wildfire didn't move at all or eat anything till the second day besides what I was syringing her.

Is she still enjoying the rice socks?

--Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I showed her how to syringe fed with out having to hold the bun. Just put her on a towel on the floor or sit her on your lap. I did it with Wildfire after her spay, and it worked well.
Of course,she's in Dawn's extremely capable hands, silly me! :D

Actually, I didn't doubt you for a minute, butI do like to mention these things in threads for the benefit of other people reading them now and in the future.

How's Tufuthis evening? It sounded like she wassailing through this pretty well. :) (I still think that the surgery couldn't have been more painful than a stuck kit, poor bunny). :(

sas :bunnydance:

Aww I missed all this being busy all weekend! I am so glad everything worked out okay for you and your girl!

Thats great you were able to get her to the vet and taken care of so quickly. And God Bless Dawn and Sas for helping. You guys are just the best!

Give your little girl kisses from me. I hope she recovers quickly!

PS. Im sure Dawn told you this, but just in case, keep her brother away from her until she's fully healed. Even though he cant impregnate her now that shes spayed he can mount her and tear the stitches, etc.

thanks for caring everyone! so she hasn't been eating tooo much...and not a lot of poo in her litterbox :( but she's moving around here and there..and was giving oreo little bunny kisses through the cages :)

They'll be continued to be separated for 2 weeks or so..but i've put the cages next to each other so they'll still have each other's company:) i hope she starts eating more tomorrow :(

How much mushed up pellets have you been able to get in to her?

Have you also tried hand feeding hay or parsley to her? Wave in in front of her nose and poke her mouth with it. She make get annoyed enough to bite it and decide it tastes yummy.

Keep up with the pain meds too.

Poor little girl, been through so much in the last few days.

Are you able to keep the neuter appointment for Oreo on Tuesday?

--Dawn

not too much with the mushed pellets...1/4 of the big syringe? and i don't know if she took it in cuz i did see it drip a lil bit :( ive stuck hay in her face and she's bitten itoff...but not really chew and swallow it. Is it ok to continue feeding her broccoli right now if she's willing to eat it?

yep! oreo will be going in on tues..hehehe

Awww, nose kisses! I bet they miss each other and can't wait till they can be together again.

In my opinion it's better to get her eating something, anything and she'll start eating more as she feels better. So if all she's eating is broccoli, then let her have some. Have you tried some parsley or cilantro or dandelions, those work well sometimes too.

--Dawn

thanks again dawn! this morning she seemed much better!! she ate some broccoli, hay, and then i gave her her meds. Oreo kept 'talking' to her too! it was so cute :)

i've fed them cilantro before and they really like that...so i'll pick some up today!

Glad to hear shes eating! Broccoli makes me nervous because it can cause gas, but I guess its better than nothing.

Maybe try some Parsley too? My bunnies love Parsley :D

Latest posts

Back