could my bunny be pregnant?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bummietime

Reaction score
we adopted2 bunnies (from the same litter) about 2 weeks ago...we were told they were both boys! they're both 2 months old dwarfs. I saw them humping last week so have 'doubled checked' and found out one is a female! I have no separated them completely. The female started picking up hay yesterday and building a nest. Is there any way to tell if she's really pregnant? how long is the term normally?

I'm taking them to the vet this weekend to see if they can be neutered/spayed this early :(

I'm sorry you had a gender fairy visit! Odds are yes, she is pregnant. Especially with the nest thing going on. Rabbit pregnancies can last up to 35 days at the very longest.

I'm going to move this to the rabbity where it will get more views from experienced breeders.

When my Sandy was younger she used to makea nest quite regularly, but she was never pregnant. But if ones is a boy and ones a girl then i'm thinking she probably is pregnant.

[line]

Shawn

Its quite possible, they can make nests at anytime during there pregnancy. Someone on here was saying that her rabbit made its nest the night before it had the babies.

[line]

Shawn

Well, I'm not familiar with dwarfs - but 2months old seems a bit young to get pregnant to me. I know lionhead scan get pregnant around 3 or 4 months of age but it is recommended to wait until they're 5 months old.

It could be that she has a false pregnancy and is nest building. For a false pregnancy - I forget the exact time frame but they build a nest around 14-18 days I think?

Keep an eye on her and maybe take her to a vet but I sort of lean towards thinking it could be a false pregnancy if she is only 2 months old now.

Peg

The pet store could have gotten the age wrong though.

I would seperate them completely immediatly.

And definitly go to the vets this week end and see if a spay/neuter is available at this time.

--Dawn

attachment.php

Assuming they're both dwarves, they look old enough in this pic. :(

I'd strongly recommend a very fast vet visit and see if you can get it confirmed and if so,get an emergency spay.Having babies at that age (with her brother, yet) can't bea safe option, either, having her spayed now may well bethe better bet for all concerned.Dr. Upjohn in Coquitlam is open all weekend, or maybe see Jack Brondwin at the Arbutus Clinic on the West side, he does all theSARS bunny spays. (I have an appointment for Sekura there at 6PM today, but I'm thinking she doens't really need it, if you want to take it, let me know).

sas

aww thanks for the suggestions! they're completely separated right now and have been for the last few days. Would Dr. Upjohn be able to tell if she's pregnant? and sorry im not too sure about this, but would an emergency spay be sorta like an abortion? or is that just to prevent more in the future? I'll give them a call to book....thanks again!

An experienced vet should be able to palpatate her to feel for babies. But she has to be about two weeks pregnant to feel properly.

If she's pregnant, than a spay-abort is possible. It would probably be best if that could be arranged, especially since you don't know how old she is. She may be too young to give birth without hurting her self. Not to mention there are hundreds of rabbits in the local rescues and shelters right now needing homes.

If she's not pregnant, then getting the boy neutered may be more cost efficient. Although your girl should be spayed as well.

--Dawn

aww thanks everyone for the advice!!! I hav ebooked an appt w/Dr. Brondwin tomorrow to get them both checked out:) She started pulling her fur today to make a nest..i almost cried!!!!! poor lil thing :(

Great, Dr. Brondwin and also Dr. Martinez are good rabbit vets. :)

Tell 'em Pipp sent ya. (Maybe that will help makeup for the appointment Iended up cancellingThursday).:embarrassed:

Let us know what happens! Here's hoping its just a false pregnancy! :goodluck

(And if you need hay or pellets,I've got an overloadhere in the West End, you canPM me).

sas

yea i'll def let you know!! ok, this might be a stupid question, buttttt!! whats the best way to transport your bunnies? My cages are too big to fit in the car (if i have to separate them) ... any suggestions? :?

I have small pet carriers -a plastic cat kennel, and a couple of cardboard ones I think the SPCA or the vet's office gave me (for about $10), both work well. I also just bought a couple of'tote bags' I have yet to tryout.

For the time being, you can just put them in very secure,closedcardboard boxes with a towel on the bottom for short trips. The weather's cold enough that they won't overheat,and there shuold be adequate ventilation. And as long asthe cardboard is heavy enough, it will take them longer than a car ride to chew through it.

Good luck again!

sas

I'll give a quick update with what information I have. I'm sure bummie time is busy tending to her little girl.

The little girl was indeed pregnant. The vet said probably about halfway, my opinion was ready to pop as her teats where full of milk.

She was originally going to be spayed on Tuesday, but she ended up having to go back to the vet's for an emergency spay because she was hemorrhaging. Bummie time stopped by my place after the initial vet visit to pick up some hay, and I had to have a little visit with her cute little babies! I was showing her how to clip nails when we noticed that her girl was bleeding!

So back to the vets! I came with her for support.

The vet said she should go into surgery immediately otherwise she might bleed to death. So she went under, and she came out the other end just fine!

She had one fully formed fetus and a very small deformed fetus. So something was obviously wrong with them.

bummietime also just told me that when she cleaned up the cage, she found a dead baby in the nest her girl built. So, my best guess is that she gave birth to a dead baby and then the next one got stuck and that's why she was bleeding.

I'm sure bummietime will be along soon with more details!

--Dawn

Did the vet also confirm that they were only two months old? Just curious. It's definately good to hear that there was a good vet avaliable to do the spay.

thanks for helping me to update Dawn!! I spent the last few hours w/tofu just to make sure she's doing ok... she seems to be doing just fine :) I honestly wouldn't have made it through the day w/o Dawn's help!!! She stayed with me the WHOLE time...explained everything to me ..and assured me that tofu was going to be just fine. While we were waiting I got to meet her 7 rabbits...and we also met sas and her 7 rabbits! :bunnydance:They're all sooooo cute:bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

I'm so touched that Dawn and Sas would go out of their way to help me. They are truly rabbit lovers :) I'm soooooo lucky to have met them!!

Thanks everyone for caring! I'll post a picture of her in a few days after she recovers :)

oh... and the vet wasn't too sure how old they were...dawn said they are probably 3-4 months.

The vet said that sometimes the buns can get pregnant as early as 6 weeks!

I'm more inclined to believe that they are closer to 3-4 months old.

They are so tiny and cute! But they just don't quite look like little babies to me.

I'm so glad that Tofu is doing well! Is she nibbling on anyfood yet? She seemed pretty perky to me. And is sheliking the rice socks still?

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back