Could a rabbit become pregnant at 14 weeks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

:))

Reaction score
quick question > could a rabbit conceive at 14 weeks old I’m aware it’s not safe but I think this has happened on accident...

Generally yes she can, 3,5 months is old enough for that.

Puberty usually start for males around 12 weeks and females around 16 weeks. Like humans, there are early bloomers and late bloomers though. It is entirely possible that a 14 week old rabbit could become pregnant.

Puberty usually start for males around 12 weeks and females around 16 weeks. Like humans, there are early bloomers and late bloomers though. It is entirely possible that a 14 week old rabbit could become pregnant.
And most likely she is if they are still in the same cage.

Definitly, had that happen last year with my 8-10lbs rabbits, at about 19 weeks there where suddenly 11 rabbits hopping around in the hutch where only 5 girls had been, never thought about checking the permanent nest box, must have gotten pregnant around 13 weeks.
Smaller breeds tend to mature earlier.

Definitly, had that happen last year with my 8-10lbs rabbits, at about 19 weeks there where suddenly 11 rabbits hopping around in the hutch where only 5 girls had been, never thought about checking the permanent nest box, must have gotten pregnant around 13 weeks.
Smaller breeds tend to mature earlier.

What should I expect complications wise

Thank you

I’m sepe
And most likely she is if they are still in the same cage.

Yeah I’m separating them today and I’ve noticed he still makes attempts but she won’t lift her tail

Did she previously? If so, I believe that's a pretty good indication that she's already pregnant (rabbits do NOT go into heat - they're induced ovulators, meaning they're always ready unless already pregnant - they don't have sex because they're ovulating, they ovulate in response to having sex).

Yeah I’m separating them today and I’ve noticed he still makes attempts but she won’t lift her tail
You know, if you kept them together until day 24 she can even have two litters, you don't know how many times she actually lifted her tail during last month. She can have another litter just a few days later, or even two weeks later, it's not often but happens, so very exciting you'll have babies :)

AFAIK that thing about multiple pregnancys simultaniously is a myth, it doesn't work that way. Hormones control the pregnancy, not the two uterus horns.
Kits born days apart or in different stages of development has other reasons, like medical problems, stress, or simply bad luck like not being connected right to the placenta.

What should I expect complications wise

Nothing that isn't to be expected at any other birth too, the 3 times that happend over the years I didn't have any problem with very young does, actually I had more problems with older first timers. When the time comes be sure she has a nestbox, rest, privacy and lots of hay.
I wouldn't keep a buck with her, I would want her to get used to being alone in time, I don't think it's the best thing if everything changes in her life at once. And there's always the risk that some dates got mixed up.

You know, if you kept them together until day 24 she can even have two litters, you don't know how many times she actually lifted her tail during last month. She can have another litter just a few days later, or even two weeks later, it's not often but happens, so very exciting you'll have babies :)

Yes..I am alittle worried about a second litter but I didn’t have the lumber to humanly cage them I didn’t want to keep him in a box but they are separated now :)

AFAIK that thing about multiple pregnancys simultaniously is a myth, it doesn't work that way. Hormones control the pregnancy, not the two uterus horns.
Kits born days apart or in different stages of development has other reasons, like medical problems, stress, or simply bad luck like not being connected right to the placenta.

Nothing that isn't to be expected at any other birth too, the 3 times that happend over the years I didn't have any problem with very young does, actually I had more problems with older first timers. When the time comes be sure she has a nestbox, rest, privacy and lots of hay.
I wouldn't keep a buck with her, I would want her to get used to being alone in time, I don't think it's the best thing if everything changes in her life at once. And there's always the risk that some dates got mixed up.

Of course that would be traumatic for her...I didn’t want to change her complete environment before birth so I just split my large hutch into two smaller ones and they can still see each other but cannot reach each other.

Did she previously? If so, I believe that's a pretty good indication that she's already pregnant (rabbits do NOT go into heat - they're induced ovulators, meaning they're always ready unless already pregnant - they don't have sex because they're ovulating, they ovulate in response to having sex).

I only witnessed them mate once and It was over quick...I only see them for an hour a day I’m a busy student and I see them when they start to get tired and nap.is there a possibility that even though they were together she just didn’t conceive ?

If you actually witnessed them mate (which yes, happens in a matter of seconds), then the fact that she was receptive to mating suggests she had reached sexual maturity (and the fact that she stopped allowing him to mate suggests she's pregnant). None of that is 100% certain, but probably like 95% chance she's pregnant...

Now when you say they can't reach each other, does that mean they don't share a "wall" (cage bars) at all? I've heard of rabbits mating through the bars in rare circumstances, if they're both agreeable enough to the idea, heh. It may actually be less stress to separate them further apart either way, as the presence of an intact male could still stress her out around/during/after kindling. Perhaps one of our resident breeders will weigh in on that opinion, as they know a good bit more than me on the subject.

If you actually witnessed them mate (which yes, happens in a matter of seconds), then the fact that she was receptive to mating suggests she had reached sexual maturity (and the fact that she stopped allowing him to mate suggests she's pregnant). None of that is 100% certain, but probably like 95% chance she's pregnant...

Now when you say they can't reach each other, does that mean they don't share a "wall" (cage bars) at all? I've heard of rabbits mating through the bars in rare circumstances, if they're both agreeable enough to the idea, heh. It may actually be less stress to separate them further apart either way, as the presence of an intact male could still stress her out around/during/after kindling. Perhaps one of our resident breeders will weigh in on that opinion, as they know a good bit more than me on the subject.

Wow sneaky little guys huh?..they are seperated by two layers of plywood...I put the small gauged hardwire cloth up high so they would literally have to fly to mate...I kept them close because of her complaining when I seperate them

Back