COUGHING BUNNY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kkayadlg

Reaction score
My 5 month old male Holland has been coughing/sneezing today! I haven’t switched food or anything and haven’t introduced anything new to his environment! His nose isn’t running and his eyes aren’t watering. He’s eating and drinking like normal and still has lots if energy. Is this something to be concerned about or is it typical bunny behavior? I don’t have a vet for him yet...is this something I need to see a vet for?

Well, it depends.

Was it a single episode, or does he get regulary fits?

It can be that their nose gets irritated by dusty hay, it can even happen that a strand of hay gets logded in their nose.
Also anything that can make you sneeze can affect rabbits too, like normal dust.
If it was just a single episode, well, that's quite normal. When he starts sneezing several times a day, or if there is any noticeable non clear discharge I would see a vet.

I would check his hay anyway, that it doesn't smell bad/moldy, or is too dusty. Mold can happen if it sometime in the past wasn't stored right, and it can effect only a part of the bale (like when the floor it was on was cold and damp, or when it was set in puddle during transport). If it does smell odd I would get rid of it, not worth the risk.

Is your rabbit actually coughing or just sneezing, and is it still happening? If your rabbit is truly coughing, rabbits rarely ever cough and if they do then it usually means there is something wrong, potentially very serious. Are you seeing any discharge coming out of the mouth or nose? Is your rabbit doing any mouth breathing(usually this will happen with the head tilted up and back)?

Back